Confused about the seemingly disparate information out there? Read or listen to this....

Options
punchgut
punchgut Posts: 210 Member
Confused about the confusion out in paleo land, here is some great information for you.

http://chriskresser.com/rhr-what-science-really-says-about-the-paleo-diet-with-mat-lalonde

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    They need to clean up that talk a little bit and make an article out of it, I think. Reading the transcript, it's hard to determine what his points actually are. If it's about the idea that it's all basis for hypotheses, then that seems to get buried in all the stuff.

It's also unclear who they're saying is making those inferences. I know Cordain made a lot of them, but from what I've seen, most of the people who follow Paleo, actually follow people like Robb Wolf or Mark Sisson, who don't subscribe to those inferences and will tell you they're wrong. They use the "paleo" theme, because it's an established name, and because it is the basis from which they springboard their continued research. As a result, in my experience, it's the "critics" who claim that Paleos make those claims, when most of us do not, or the claims we do make are more nuanced -- such as the fact that we're not really equipped to consume grains, not "just" because they're new to our diet as a staple food, but because we didn't really build similar enough "equipment" to handle them, and there's also a huge difference between ancient Einkhorn and modern hybrid dwarf wheat, so even if we're equipped to handle the older wheats, it doesn't necessarily mean we're equipped to handle the newer ones or even all varieties (we can generally eat bell peppers and tomatoes, too, but that doesn't mean we can eat belladonna). Yay for strawmen. :eyeroll:
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks PunchGut, I really enjoyed that talk.