Too much protein rant

Options
ThinnerHill
ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
Hey I just need to rant. I thought I was doing great today until I realize I went over on my protein. And am under on fat. So frustrating. I need to eat fattier meat. I add butter, CO. Olive oil..

Replies

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Rant duly noted.

ribeye steaks, delmonicos...yum. chicken thighs. chicken wings. port butt/shoulder.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    eat CO straight out of the jar and wash it down with HWC
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You know what helps me? I try to balance every meal that way there are no surprises at the end of the day (then again, I mess up from time to time, I am human.) I am a lazy human at that lol. These days I mostly drop a glob or two of Dukes Mayo on top of everything for the fat content.

That said, oils are great - Have you tried pork chops simmered in sunflower seed oil? or A steak seared to perfection in walnut oil (omg it's so good!) Also, when baking flax buns, I use coconut oil in place of olive oil - they taste amazing too.

/ making myself hungry over here lol
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You know what helps me? I try to balance every meal that way there are no surprises at the end of the day (then again, I mess up from time to time, I am human.) I am a lazy human at that lol. These days I mostly drop a glob or two of Dukes Mayo on top of everything for the fat content.

That said, oils are great - Have you tried pork chops simmered in sunflower seed oil? or A steak seared to perfection in walnut oil (omg it's so good!) Also, when baking flax buns, I use coconut oil in place of olive oil - they taste amazing too.

Be careful with that. Nut and seed oils have a high PUFA content, which oxidize very easily under heat (very, very bad). If you're going to use oils like that, stick with saturated (ideally), or monounsaturated fats -- coconut, olive, avocado, animal fats. Save the sunflower and walnut oil for cold uses like salads and mayos (if you like walnut oil, try using it for part of the oil in mayo, it's quite good).
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Be careful with that. Nut and seed oils have a high PUFA content, which oxidize very easily under heat (very, very bad). If you're going to use oils like that, stick with saturated (ideally), or monounsaturated fats -- coconut, olive, avocado, animal fats. Save the sunflower and walnut oil for cold uses like salads and mayos (if you like walnut oil, try using it for part of the oil in mayo, it's quite good).

How is avocado oil? Does it taste ok? like avocados? Can you use it at a higher heat and as a cold oil? Saw some in Costco yesterday and was tempted to buy it but didnt know what Id use it for.

• Dragonwolf
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

How is avocado oil? Does it taste ok? like avocados? Can you use it at a higher heat and as a cold oil? Saw some in Costco yesterday and was tempted to buy it but didnt know what Id use it for.

Avocado is primarily monounsaturated, so it's okay for cooking with, but like with all oils, be mindful of the smoke point. You can use it for cold purposes, too. Avocado is a popular choice for home made mayo (and I think Mark Sisson is using it for the primal mayo he's been working on to sell in stores to offer a store bought kind that isn't made with canola or soy oils).

It has a bit of an avocado taste to it, though the flavor largely depends on the quality/source of the oil (it's possible to make it, though difficult, and doesn't yield a lot, but it tends to be stronger than what you find in the store).
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein at least a few times a week- I'm trying to plan and pre-log my day mid morning, so there aren't any surprises....but it is difficult.
  • JennaKalli
    Options
    I definitely have the same problem. I don't eat much dairy at all, which doesn't help.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    ribeye steaks, delmonicos...yum. chicken thighs. chicken wings. port butt/shoulder.

Ditto

Also "tougher" cuts of meat that work well with braising, slow cookery, and pressure cookers like short ribs, oxtails, tri tip, brisket.

Pork (not baby back) ribs. Pork belly. Fatty fish, fresh (mackerel, salmon) or canned (sardines, herring, kippers). And bacon, of course!

Top leaner proteins with fat - hollandaise, aioli, butter. Hollandaise + poached eggs is fantastic. Aioli can be flavored with garlic or lemon, so good on fish or chicken.

Mix chopped fresh herbs into softened butter, roll in plastic wrap into a log, then refrigerate. Slice off pats to serve with veggies, proteins, anything you like. Toss steamed veggies with melted butter, olive oil, or bacon fat.

In the beginning I was so used to thinking how to eat "lean" that looking for fat kinda stumped me at first. I found that I had to start thinking about fat as an appropriate addition, and then what sauces and toppings I love.

Good luck!
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really don't cook much more for basics so I'm trying to learn as I go what's easy and quick. I've not converted the whole family so I tend to cook fast things for me whole DH cooks for the family so we can still sit down and eat together. So thought goes out the window when trying to add fat into stuff.
    Eggs in butter
    Ranch dressing in my tuna
    BPC
    BACON

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If you're satiated on a given day, you don't *have* to add additional fat calories to try and hit that as a target.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Avocado is primarily monounsaturated, so it's okay for cooking with, but like with all oils, be mindful of the smoke point. You can use it for cold purposes, too. Avocado is a popular choice for home made mayo (and I think Mark Sisson is using it for the primal mayo he's been working on to sell in stores to offer a store bought kind that isn't made with canola or soy oils).

It has a bit of an avocado taste to it, though the flavor largely depends on the quality/source of the oil (it's possible to make it, though difficult, and doesn't yield a lot, but it tends to be stronger than what you find in the store).

I chose Grapeseed for frying.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    hotsungirl wrote: »

Eeww... grapeseed is almost entirely polyunsaturated, with nearly 70% of its fat content coming from Omega-6 fats. I avoid such oils entirely, but if you're going to keep using it, keep it to cold purposes. PUFAs easily oxidize with heat, and oxidized oils have their fatty acids damaged.

Grapeseed is also an industrial seed oil -- it's usually produced through solvent extraction which includes the use of toxic chemicals like hexane, and tend to require a deodorizing process, because the extraction process itself has destroyed the fatty acids, making it rancid. The process also destroys all the antioxidants that people claim are in the oil. All you're left with is a little Vitamin E, which can be found in a number of better sources.

Here's some more info on it - http://authoritynutrition.com/grape-seed-oil/ (it's one of many, it also has a number of references for more reading).
  • hotsungirl
    Options

Eeww... grapeseed is almost entirely polyunsaturated, with nearly 70% of its fat content coming from Omega-6 fats. I avoid such oils entirely, but if you're going to keep using it, keep it to cold purposes. PUFAs easily oxidize with heat, and oxidized oils have their fatty acids damaged.

Grapeseed is also an industrial seed oil -- it's usually produced through solvent extraction which includes the use of toxic chemicals like hexane, and tend to require a deodorizing process, because the extraction process itself has destroyed the fatty acids, making it rancid. The process also destroys all the antioxidants that people claim are in the oil. All you're left with is a little Vitamin E, which can be found in a number of better sources.

Here's some more info on it - http://authoritynutrition.com/grape-seed-oil/ (it's one of many, it also has a number of references for more reading).

OH MI LORD seriously??? I cannot believe this. We didn't want to have smoking cooking so we bought "coconut oil for high heat" and then someone recommended grape seed which we bought (from Portugal - non gmo and organic) for ridiculous expense at the health food grocery store.
  • hotsungirl
    Options
    I will be using Grapeseed for dry skin instead. Thanks, Dragonwolf.
  • hotsungirl
    Options
    Hey I just need to rant. I thought I was doing great today until I realize I went over on my protein. And am under on fat. So frustrating. I need to eat fattier meat. I add butter, CO. Olive oil..

try "Coconut Creme from Chocola Tree Organics" from Sedona, AZ. I read the label about 5 times, certain something that tasted so good, must have sugar, or a drug ;) Nope, just raw stone ground coconut. Fat bomb in a jar :smile:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    then someone recommended grape seed

WHO?!?!?!

mzhdbYX.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

OH MI LORD seriously??? I cannot believe this. We didn't want to have smoking cooking so we bought "coconut oil for high heat" and then someone recommended grape seed which we bought (from Portugal - non gmo and organic) for ridiculous expense at the health food grocery store.

Haha, I know the feeling. I've found sticking to the basics seems to work best -- lard/tallow, butter, coconut oil for cooking; avocado and olive, and occasionally walnut oil for cold uses (mainly because they're liquid at colder temperatures). Anything "seed" or "vegetable," I try to avoid in general or allow sparingly when eating out. Lard's cheaper than those fancy imported oils, anyway, especially if you're willing to take the time to render it yourself (it's real easy, just time consuming).

Besides, things like butter and bacon grease taste worlds better than vegetable oils. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

<snip>

Haha, I know the feeling. I've found sticking to the basics seems to work best -- lard/tallow, butter, coconut oil for cooking; avocado and olive, and occasionally walnut oil for cold uses (mainly because they're liquid at colder temperatures). Anything "seed" or "vegetable," I try to avoid in general or allow sparingly when eating out. Lard's cheaper than those fancy imported oils, anyway, especially if you're willing to take the time to render it yourself (it's real easy, just time consuming).

Besides, things like butter and bacon grease taste worlds better than vegetable oils. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]

I am having the hardest time finding Lard. Every time I pick up a can of it, it has the words, "Partially Hydrogenated" on it. I don't think buying it online would work because of the shipping costs. I am thinking about going to a butcher and getting some beef tallow/fat and rendering some....

Dan the Man from Michigan

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I am having the hardest time finding Lard. Every time I pick up a can of it, it has the words, "Partially Hydrogenated" on it. I don't think buying it online would work because of the shipping costs. I am thinking about going to a butcher and getting some beef tallow/fat and rendering some....

Dan the Man from Michigan

Find a place that processes animals, not a butcher shop, but the places county fair 4H/FFA animals go to be taken from their whole state to steaks. They have tons of it, since most consumers pay extra to have it removed. They're a bit of a drive if you live in the cities, but they'll cut you a damn good price because they need rid of the stuff. Also, the animals not sold to private entities go here and are sold at the front counter. You want good meat, and are willing to pay a bit more, this is where you go. They'll age beef over 3 months if you want them to, and the marbling is superb.