W1...

nicca_jb
nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
Hey all,

I had "wanted" to start C25K a couple of weeks ago, and kept finding reasons not to. I finally did last Friday and just did W1D2 today. Having just gotten started, and reading some of the posts here, I have some questions I'm hoping you guys can answer!

First, even though I finished D2 today, I feel like I cheated a bit. I skipped at least 1 of the Jog sections and just kept walking. I'm finding that I'm getting winded VERY fast when I kick it up to Jog level, and my heart only stops pounding after I've walked for more than the designated minute/minute-and-a-half. The first question is: should I let my heart stop pounding, or just suck it up and Jog when the nice lady says "Jog!"? The second question is: should I repeat D2 because I didn't fully complete it as intended? And third: is this level of breathing to be expected/something to get used to?

(as an aside, my face gets REALLY pink when I'm jogging, which worries the fiancé. I think it's just because I have super-pale skin to begin with, but want to be sure it's nothing to actually worry about... opinions?)

Next, I was totally under the impression (probably because my first fun 5K was obviously not indoors) that I had to do this program entirely outdoors. I've seen a few people talking about doing this on a treadmill, though. Now, I don't have a treadmill at the moment, but my fiancé wants to buy one soon. Is it better to just stick with the outdoors once you've started, or is it OK to switch back and forth? I have to say I like being outside, but I don't exactly like GOING outside at 6:15am. lol

Thanks so much for the advice.

Replies

• Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    When I first started I found I needed to slow down on both the walk and run portions. I naturally walk fast which was making me run fast as well. I'm very competitive with myself and each time I go out I always try to beat my last time. I use either Nike or RunKeeper at the same time.
    I repeated week 1. I tried it and couldn't get past the 3rd run segment so I put it on hold for a month and worked more on my waking. I felt my body just wash t ready for it. I recently started it again and am doing much better this time. I start week 3 tomorrow. But I don't have a problem repeating a day or week if need be. If I can't handle week 3 I'll do 2 again.
    I get really pink/red also. But I do when I walk for any distance too. My average walking pace is 4.1 mph and I normally walk 3.5 miles. Even with I'm doing my C25k I keep going to try to get in at least 3 miles. For me it's just from getting hot. I don't think it s anything to worry about.
    I've never done the program on the TM I'm always outside. But I'm about to move to the south so that might change. I think it could be easier on the TM because you can control your speed better.
    Good luck and have fun with it. And if you need to repeat a day or week then do it. Listen to your body and don't push yourself into an injury. Right now I'm just waiting for my lungs to catch up to my legs.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Congratulations! You started! That is a major accomplishment!

Being winded - slow down when you run. slow down when you walk. Just about everybody starts too fast. All you're trying to do those first few weeks is to condition your muscles to the new movements. Then you'll be working on running for distance. After the program ends, you'll be in a great place to start getting faster. Also, make sure that you aren't slumping over and cutting off your air.

Let your heart stop pounding - I would say, yes, you should let your heart stop pounding. Stretch for a minute. I don't think I followed this advice during the program, but I now think that "recovery walks" should focus on "recovery." That being said, you should be running and walking SLOWLY enough that this shouldn't be an issue. Part of the training is to get your heart used to working at a slightly increased rate for 20-30 minutes.

Pink face - you are fair, so it may be normal. However, I have exercise-induced asthma and reactive airways, which wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s. Anytime I've tried something athletic, I've gotten corrections because "I wasn't breathing." I was doing my best - I COULDN'T breathe sufficiently. So, my recommendation is to get that checked out. My inhaler and Advair was really a game changer for me.

Treadmill - When I worked through the program, I did it both indoors and outdoors depending on what I could fit in. It made it flexible enough to complete. Some people do all of one or all of the other. Just remember that, if you're planning on running in a race (which you should be), that will be outdoors and will required conditioning for the outdoor environment.
  • I just started last week myself and experienced things similar to what you have described. From what I have read on here and other places it's okay to repeat days, weeks, or change up from the exact format laid out. For example, me I felt like I was going to pass out after doing just 15 minutes, which is only half the workout. So I knew that was my limit and didn't try to push myself beyond that just because the app was telling me to. I could've seriously injured myself if I did and missed more time from additional workouts. What I've learned from reading what others more experienced with this have to say is don't try to make your body push past things it's not ready to do. Yes it's good to push yourself to accomplish your goals, but you shouldn't endanger your long-term well-being for this. Now of course I am not a medical professional, just speaking from what I've read and my own personal limited experience so far. If you're not taking water with you when you do your workout, I would recommend it. It helps cool you down and keep you hydrated as you'll be sweating out a lot of fluid. I know it helps me out a lot. Best of luck to you. :)
  • ColeAXE
    ColeAXE Posts: 73 Member
    I finished W1D1. Reading this thread before I went helped a lot. I feel good :) Thanks for the advice & motivation.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Everyone, thanks! I really appreciate all of the feedback and help!

I think I will slow down a bit. You're all correct: I'm probably pushing too hard to begin with. I've never been asthmatic that I'm aware of, but I've also never been that active... well, at least not since I was much younger when we had regular swimming lessons and hiking trips. Note by "much" younger I do mean about 20-25 years younger.

Wow. I think I just realized that.

Anyway, after getting home and lying down for a bit, I ended up feeling much better and more awake. Starting to come down a bit at this point, but that's probably my post-lunch coma sinking in... :) I did feel hungrier earlier even though I'd been staying hydrated, so, go metabolism go?

One last question before I go off confidently into the afternoon: is it normal to feel a bit sore the day(s) after starting this program? I noticed over the weekend (remember I started on Friday) that my whole body, legs especially, were achy. Not so bad right now, but I'm wondering if I should expect it tomorrow.

Thank you again!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    You might feel a little bit of soreness - achy for a weekend sounds like you were pushing to hard.

That will go away as your body learns the motions and becomes more efficient.

Then you'll start noticing more muscle in a couple of weeks.
  • I think soreness is normal if you're just starting any new physical activity be it running, swimming, playing a team sport, or anything else. Like Vardaeml said you may have over-exerted yourself.

I was quite sore myself after my first day. I think I had overdone it as well. But today, which is my 4th day of this, I feel fine now (I ran around 9 hours ago). Whereas the 1st day I was sore all throughout the rest of that day and my rest day. Now I'm sore from sitting at my desk all day (I have a desk job) I think, which is crazy to think about for someone like me who has always been more comfortable not exercising.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    I'm very fair skinned and suffer the same red face thing - it's embarrassing but I don't think it's anything to worry about (or never has been for me). I used to get teased at school during gym classes because my face would be red as a berry but the rest of me milky white and over 27yrs later it's still the same.

It gives my super tanned husband something to laugh at as I drag my carcase back in the front door lol