Calories trending up. "were you nervous when this happend?"

Options
madmags
madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
I am starting to see my calories trending up. I do not know how I feel about this. I have been hitting the gym pretty hard lately and am demanding more energy, but still makes me a bit nervous. I am working out 7 days a week, with the couch to 5K program and the strong lifts 5x5 program, alternating days. I am getting stronger again which is good.

I have hit 1000 cals or over the last two days, with no issue. On the good side I have been getting 90 to 100g protein on those days.

I guess I just need to keep an eye on my strength and endurance gains, as well as my weight vs. calorie intake and balance them out as needed.

Replies

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time increasing my calories at first. I felt like I had a good handle on 700 or so calories and it made me really nervous that I would lose control when I went up to 1,000 (per my surgeon/NUT's instructions). What I've realized is that food doesn't have the same control over me as it did when I was pre-op.

On days I'm doing half marathon training I have about 1,200 calories and I'm able to dip down to 800 calories on non-training days pretty easily. I'm still trying to find a balance of calories and working out, but I'm dropping body fat pretty steadily (per my Aria scale) so I think I'm doing ok. Don't just rely on the scale - track body fat or measurements and training progress. It definitely takes some trial and error and making adjustments when necessary, but I think it's kind of fun to experiment.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just upped my target from 900 to 1000, as I was going over 1000 on a regular basis. My exercise is certainly less than yours, so I would bet you are still in a significant deficit.

It *did* make me nervous to change the target, especially as my food choices have also slipped a lot recently. I need to get back to 100g protein as a regular thing again.

Rob
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was told about a month in that I needed more nutrition\calories and to shoot for 1000-1200. I did that for the duration of my loss phase and lost steadily, (not speedily) reaching goal in under 1 year, (but at 95ish pounds over, I may have had less to lose than many). I exercised 5 days per week at home, 1 hour on the exercise bike, 20 push ups and 60 crunches, nothing extreme. And maintain that workout schedule in maintenance. For me, the "eat a bit more" advice was good. I think it helped me reach a little higher set point for maintenance and make long term maintenace easier.