Tirosint

Options
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever had any experience with Tirosint? My doctor recommended trying the switch after I repeatedly expressed my frustration and upset with excessive weight gain on Levothyroxine (30 lbs in 2 years with no changes to diet or exercise).

Thanks!

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No, but I take brand name synthroid as my doctor feels that levo is not as good a product. I also take cytomel to replace T4. Synthroid is T3.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Tirosint & Synthroid are two different brands of levothyroxine. (Other brands include Levothroid and Levoxyl—and many people take generics.) They're all synthetic versions of T4, which is a hormone produced by the thyroid gland.

Many people can convert T4 to T3—but not everyone can. So some endocrinologists also prescribe liothyronine (brand names include Cytomel and Triostat), which is synthetic T3.

Every brand (and every synthetic manufacturer) uses different binders and fillers, some of which can cause allergic reactions. So that might be why your doctor suggested switching to Tirosint from whatever levothyroxine you're taking now. But Tirosint is levothyroxine.