Stage 3- ?s, thoughts, feedback?

Options
jamiek917
jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
The other day i did Stage 3 workout A- left me crazy sore for 2 days in my back and hamstrings!! (But loved it). so many exercises i never did before- but liked them all. the 90 second planks were killer (those i hated)- only made it the full 90s 1x, and the other 2 times i did around 60, stopped my timer for 10 seconds to breathe, and then finished the last 30 or so seconds. whew! and the BW Matrix- holy hell i was spent afterwards!!! thats an amazing workout- and i had to take breaks during the matrix (or else it would compromise my form!)

today i did workout B. do you use any weight for the partial leg squat? also- holy crap the YTWLs are hard- i needed the 7.5 lb weights or else the "T" would be all jacked up!! does anyone else feel the same?

i belong to 2 gyms, and each have an advantage and disadvantage with respect to these workouts.

gym on base- (still relatively close, but bad weekend hours and super hot in there right now)
the good: i can lift heavier and they have swiss balls.
the bad: for light weights the increments are only in 5s instead of 2.5lbs, and the treadmill doesnt have an easy speed interval button.

planet fitness: (closer and 24/7, and more comfortable temp)
the good: they have light weights in 2.5lb increments which is good for the YTWL, treadmill makes HIIT easier (one button press to change the interval speed, instead of pressing it to go up and down between 5.0 and 9.0)
the bad: no swiss ball and i cant lift heavy for a barbell unless i use the smith machine- heaviest free barbell they have is 60 lbs!

i had to modify a few things today bc i went to Planet Fitness--think this is alright?
-- BB DL/bent over row- bc i could only go up to 60 lbs, i did 10 reps for all 3 sets. if i go to the other gym, i could def do heavier for 6 reps
-- did 3 sets of sit ups instead of swiss ball crunches
-- increased reverse crunches to 15 reps
--didnt always get to superset bc of the availability of some equipment (so didnt superset the back extensions and YTLW)
--HIIT i changed to 1min light/30sec sprint instead of 2min/1min-- 2 min feels too long for a lower intensity!!! i had a great HIIT workout with 1 min at 5mph and 30sec and 9mph (i start the sprint 2 seconds early so i dont lose extra sprint time)

thoughts? sorry so long!

Replies

• jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I also loved stage 3 and all the fun new exercises! For the rows, you can use dumbbells that add up to more than 60 if you have those. For YTWL, if you can't do it with good form with the 10's, I would use the 5's. I have the same problem at my gym and dropped down to the 5's for that. I've heard there are small weights you can buy to attach to dumbbells in 3/4 lb increments to add a little weight at a time. I can't remember the name of them off the top of my head but if I come across it I'll post it here.

It sounds like between the 2 gyms you have everything you need - bummer they aren't all in one place! Have you looked to see if you can switch some exercises between A & B to make one full workout easier at one gym, then go to the other for the opposite day? Not sure if we're really supposed to switch things up but if it makes better sense for you may be worth it.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with this Stage. I have also made adaptations as I'm working out from home. And I hate the YTWLs! I feel as if I'm barely moving and they hurt the back of my shoulder! My favourite is the bench press which I've made gains on and far prefer to press ups when my shoulders tire before my chest so don't give me much of a chest workout. I also hate the squat where you hold one weight up and one down - what is that about?! I can barely squat!

Jamie - your adaptations sound good. I do find the 2 min rest a fair bit but if I work really hard on the intervals (bike) I do take it all. I also sometimes increase the number of reps (eg swissball crunches as I don't want to lift much heavier!) so, as long as you're working hard, I'm sure that's OK.

Hope you continue to enjoy :-)
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i just feel like im capable to do more weight wise, but because of the stupid balance exercises im unable to up them and it bugs me. a lot.
    agree with greer though, switch up a few exercises to make your life easier in each gym. there is an easy pattern in the workouts, so as long as youre able to change up the ones that target the related muscle group, you should be alright :)