Is it safe...

Options
tartsul
tartsul Posts: 298 Member
to lift weights while pregnant? i'm not pregnant at the moment, but hope to be someday in the future. i'm loving weight lifting and the results i'm getting, and i'd love to keep it up.

anyone have any experience with this? i've heard mainly that you shouldn't do heavy lifting, but i've seen a few opinions that say you can still lift and just be careful, avoid certain types of lifts, and listen to your body, etc. i know there are a lot of other exercises that are safe and effective, like swimming, etc. when i am pregnant, whenever that is, i definitely plan on staying as active as i can. i know it's definitely something i should talk to my doctor about when the time comes. just curious about all of your opinions?

Replies

• agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. :)

I haven't stopped lifting at all since I've gotten pregnant. I still lift heavy (not heavy enough that I would find myself holding my breath---or maybe I'm just focusing more on breathing now?). I have to modify a few things that would have put me on my stomach now. If I had the right equipment to do the back extensions, you can do that with your belly off, so it's really fine. I've also gone to the chiro every month since 12 weeks and was on my stomach for that, so it's really fine.
    People say lying on your back is dangerous, but that's only for extended periods. I still do benchpress and do lie on my back and do ab work. There's nothing wrong with that, and the stronger your abs, the easier the delivery (so I've heard) and also, the better chance of making it through the pregnancy without your abs separating (ripping) and I've heard that kills and is hard to recover from.

Don't stop! :) Keep going! I was in the last stages of NROL4W when I got pregnant, finished that, and now am working through Jamie Eason's LiveFit program.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant my doctor told me that with all my exercise I should keep doing what I was doing but not over exert myself.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I'm a student midwife and I have studied what changes happen to the supportive muscles and ligaments in the body. I think that, especially with heavier weights, there is a real chance of injury as the muscles are simply more relaxed than they would be normally. This change occurs early in pregnancy and is not just associated with the burden of a bigger bump. I would really urge you to discuss this in depth with a Dr or PT who is knowledgable in these areas xxx
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with jo_marnes. As an RN, I'm not sure I would be in agreement with deadlifting 150 pounds or squatting 150 pounds while pregnant. I think general strength training and cardio is great while pregnant, but I would also be concerned about doing extreme HIIT (body weight matrix or treadmill sprints) in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Pregnancy causes changes like increased blood volume and changes to blood pressure. I would ask this question to your OB/GYN and get some specific weight and heart rate limits.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I'm a student midwife and I have studied what changes happen to the supportive muscles and ligaments in the body. I think that, especially with heavier weights, there is a real chance of injury as the muscles are simply more relaxed than they would be normally. This change occurs early in pregnancy and is not just associated with the burden of a bigger bump. I would really urge you to discuss this in depth with a Dr or PT who is knowledgable in these areas xxx

This was my thought as well (minus the credentials). I know that it is advised not to go right back to running after birth because those changes have yet to reverse and you have an increased risk of injury.
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Both my OB and my midwife encouraged me to keep doing this program, as well as continue with my normal runs. The only thing they advised not to do was any crunch-type of moves after 20 weeks because it can separate the abdominal muscles (planks and other core work are ok, though). Pretty much any exercise that you did before you were pregnant you can keep on doing as long as you listen to your body.