Misc. Chat Thread - Feb. / March 2015

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I find that my dates give me the most money to go to the powder room around this time :wink:

I forgot it was VD until my husband said on the chairlift, "So, I like our tradition of skiing on Valentine's weekend." I told him I was stewing that I didn't get Kay diamond studs, a heart shaped box of Russell Stover, and 50 Shades of Grey.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It seems that my new hobby is to go in the office bathroom to flex my arms and be amazed by how my traps pop up.

Am I crazy?

hehe, that is kinda funny. I don't flex much cause my arms need work but I do find I look in the mirror far more now than I did when I weighed 30 lbs more. It's at home cause at work I have on the baggy t-shirt as I don't want to order a new one until I'm in a size that doesn't involve an X. The 2x is big so getting close. At home, I look in the mirror more to see if I can see the progress. Will see more when I get my place cleaned and have my coworker over as I'm working up the courage to have her take my pictures as it's hard to do the pictures on my own. Want progress pictures now and then again in either August or November.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think I need to re-watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and figure out how to land a bevy of sugar daddies.

No apologies.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Unfortunately, it doesn't really provide much of a how-to other than showing how fun and fabulous she is. In the book, she was a lot more rough around the edges and attracted lower rent clientele. I like both versions but I wish someone would make another movie that was closer to the book. Now I'm rambling.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    It seems that my new hobby is to go in the office bathroom to flex my arms and be amazed by how my traps pop up.

Am I crazy?

i go in the bathroom and just dead-hang from the cubicle doors for a couple seconds, a few times a day. so long as nobody's in there, of course. it's doing a lot for my grip, but it's probably also helping more than anythign else to keep my shoulders all nice and loose.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    so something i want to get off my chest. it's one of those first-world problems and it's just . . . irking me.

place i'm working in is a secondary building to the main one. has a tiny little lobby with a big desk, and a security guard sitting at it. idk why, but whatever. there the guy sits.

this security guard is just driving me nuts. i KNOW he's bored. i KNOW it's lonely. i know he's just doing his job and being the cheery personality is part of the job, i know he's extremely intelligent, easily smart enough to be doing any of the things any of us are doing; and i suspect not all that adept socially out in the general world and all that. i get it.

but i. just. can't. stand it. every single ever-loving time i enter or leave that building, i have to go through the lobby and that means i have to go by this young guy. and he Speaks to me. nothing meaningful or heavy or anything. but he tries to come up with some cheery folksy anodyne kind of observation about the weather or the fact it's tuesday or i don't even know, to brighten [probably his more than my] day with. i leave the building and go back quite a few times in a day, and i'm about ready to claw my eyes out. just stop it. STOP TALKING TO ME. i don't have that much to say to people who live in the same house with me - i don't talk this much to my friends. this is exhausting to me, and i understand what you 'meant' but i don't care what you 'meant'. you are wrecking my life. would you please, would you pleaseplease just leave me alone?

i needed to say that. don't feel better, in fact i've just talked myself into a real snarly introvert snit writing it down. but oh god.

/*and i guess i am snarly, but if all you extraverts out there don't mind . . . please don't even think about saying anything like 'just [suggestion]' or 'he probably [something]', okay? thanks. because no offence but i'm on my second-last nerve as it is and i don't want to hear it. this is one of those things where you're either wired the same way and you get it, or you're not and you don't. and if you're thinking along lines like those then frankly . . . you probably don't.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would probably start wearing headphones when walking through the lobby. Big ones, so they are noticable. And look really busy staring at my phone or something. I can't stand small talk...not even with people I know. One of the things I hate the most about the gym is the person at the desk who always smiles and says "how was your work out today?".
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I read a lot of advice columns (there's just something about other people's problems) and a tactic often given to dealing with difficult/trying/irritating people is to make up a game in your head. You could play a betting game where you guess the subject he'll bring up or play bingo in a similar fashion. This can help take away the dread of walking by him and make it more innocuous.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Starting this by saying.. I am just venting!

I am a very social person and since having daughter #2 18mths ago, my social life has gone downhill. I am finding the few friends I have without kids no longer want to get together. With just the one kiddo she was like my left arm and went with me EVERYWHERE and no one seemed to mind. Throwing in the 2nd and now that she is really mobile, doing a meal out with a friend feels more like a chore than fun catch up time.

SO...this Sunday I have nothing planned with my family. My hubby who watches kids full time offered for me to go out during their nap time so I could hang with a girlfriend. I have contacted 3 and all of them have plans already. NOW...I totally get it. I am a BIG planner, but hubby isn't so if he gives me a few days notice to get out I usually end up with no one to hang with. On the other side of it, if I do try to plan something with a friend weeks in advance, something else always seems to come up on my end (sick baby, hubby grumpy, etc), its feels like a lost cause.

I was blessed with a 4 day (4 tens) workweek for the first 5 years of being a mom. I used that 5th day for playdates, running errands, cleaning house, household shopping, catching up with girlfriends on their lunch hour, etc. Now I am back to 5 days a week and most weekends are designated for "family time", my own and my friends. And understandably so...

So other moms out there, how do you fit in time with girl friends? Does your SO watch so you can go out? Do you hire a sitter? Meet during work hours?

I am also trying to incorporate more than lunch/dinner dates. Like going for a walk/hike or running errands together. Nothing wrong with being productive at the same time right?!?

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I feel you symba1130 only as an introvert it is my alone time that I covet so it is a little easier to be spontaneous when it is just my schedule to worry about. We very rarely will hire a babysitter. If we go out just the two of us the kids will be at a set of grandparents (favorite part for me of going to see the inlaws, they are more than happy to watch the kids for a couple of hours). Maybe once every 6 weeks I will watch the kids for an afternoon/evening so my husband can get out and then he will do the same.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yep - same here. My husband will totally watch the kids. But it's like aligning stars to have time, energy, and desire to do something, and have the reciprocated by friends at the same time as well. I'm considering this a somewhat long, but passing phase of parenthood.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    We moved to a new city after my daughter was born 3 yrs ago and I feel like I haven't had any fun since then. We have a babysitter but it is so expensive to have a night out now. It has to be a really important night to do it. My husband will entertain our LO a bit on the weekends so I can work out. I don't schedule girls' nights but I should. He would watch our LO once in a while if I wanted to go out. I just don't do it. I mostly see my friends when we have play dates with our kids.
  • WillRun4Wine79
    WillRun4Wine79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fortunately my closest friend is also a mom, so we try to schedule weekly dinner/play dates/sleepovers. The kids get to play, we get company preparing dinner, and once the kids go to sleep we drink lots of wine and talk. As far as girls nights out go, my husband and I work pretty different schedules and so he stays home with the kiddo if I want to go out on the weekend, and I stay home if he wants to go out during the week. Then once a year or so I go away for the weekend with my girlfriends. It almost seems easier to get 4 of us to Vegas for a couple of days than it is to try to meet for dinner or drinks :smiley:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Went out with a girlfriend for our usual happy hour. Had a lovely time discussing thesis topics, men, our lameass classmates, and whatever else came up. Had about five beers. Am resisting urges to contact the source of my bad mood / heartbreak. Le sigh. Am tipsy and should probably just go to bed already. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'm not social at all. I moved to a state where I knew no one less than 3 years ago. The ones I know now are all my coworkers and I'm single as I can't figure out how to find someone to date. The rare times I do go out are with coworkers but it's not very often as it's hard to have times where some of us aren't at work on the same day.

One of my coworkers is younger and has a little toddler. I'd hang out with her more or even help babysit so she could work more but often drama with the baby daddy gets in the way. But some day soon she's going to come over and to my progress pictures for me.

I don't mind random talking. What bugs me and I vent about it in my head is the strangers who use pet names for anyone. Sweetheart, any variation of love including my love, and other similar things are not something I'd call a stranger. I get it a lot, in particular from women. I was just getting money back from recycling cans from grocery store and the lady at the counter called me "my love." Umm, no, no I'm not. I don't know if it's because I don't look like I'm 30 or what but I find it weird and uncomfortable pending on the type of cutesy pet name.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So I'm older and a few years beyond the "little ones" stage, but when my kiddos were young my friends (and my sister who is my bestie!) and I would have a scheduled night out once a week. I know it sounds like a lot, but at the time I was a SAHM to 4 and absolutely looked forward to that one night away from the craziness! It would be a night to laugh, b!tch and sometimes cry. And I was lucky to have a hubby who didn't mind. He had his golf league nights every week too.

Maybe having a scheduled night (i.e. 3rd Wednesday/Friday of the month) out with a few friends perhaps once a month to go to a movie, dinner or out for beers would work for some of you. Sometimes maybe not everyone could make it (yes, for those "sick kid/fussy husband/too much homework" nights, etc.), but most times there would be a few who could. And no need to feel guilty if you weren't able to make it that month.

For me, having my girls night out has kept me sane all these years and something to look forward to. We've been going out, I think, now for 20+ years. We always joke when we see 70+ year old women out having drinks that that will be us in 20 years. I hope so!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Ok, so I was at the gym on Wednesday and this personal trainer came over and offered me a free fitness assessment for Thursday. Since it was free, I decided, why not? So I went in yesterday to chat with him (for a smidge over 1.5 hours) and he designed a little vague plan for me during that time and then tried to sell me the sessions. Not even kidding, he wanted me to train with him 3 days a week for 38 weeks (that's almost as long as it takes to have a baby!) at $54.60 a session. YUUUP $6224.40! I was just like "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!" So I tried so see how few sessions he'd be willing to do and even his CHEAPEST option was still $1050 for 6 weeks of training and he wouldn't go less than 2 times a week. Frick, I could go to a community college for a year, learn what I need to do AND have a marketable skill in personal training for that kind of coin. Who is he kidding!? And I see people at this gym 3 times a week with the personal trainers (one trainer doesn't even pay attention to his client). CRAZY.

Oh, AND when I got there, I asked the guy at the front if I needed to change for this assessment. He said "Yes, you'll be doing a bit of a workout". So I changed. Yeah... no... I only got to sit in a chair talking to the trainer. My only workout that day was walking to the gym, and then running from the gym to the bus stop since I had to waste time changing back into normal clothes after talking to him and nearly missed it.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Seriously, he didn’t even do a physical assessment?! What a joke!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    @VeryKatie -- very likely you know more than he does anyway ;)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie‌ I wrote up a long response to your personal trainer thing but MFP deleted it for me. In short I am sorry you didn't get what you wanted from the experience and I wish they would call the first meeting what it is. It is a combination of sales pitch and interview.