Numbers!

Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Okay, so I'm only "kind of keto," since I don't keep track of whether I'm in ketosis and I'm not completely strict on staying under 50g carbs, but it was requested that I post the results of my recent bloodwork, so here we go!

Also, includes some of notes of my thoughts, given my personal situation.

My current goals are 50g carbs (10%), ~100g protein (20%), 150g (70%) fat, and I get anywhere from 30-80g of my fat from saturated fats (largely meat/dairy, some coconut).

Sodium: 138 mmol/L (range: 135-145, so "low normal"; in fairness, I don't seek out salt, but neither do I intentionally avoid it)

Potassium: 4.1 mmol/L (range: 3.5-5.1, so damn near perfect)

Glucose (fasting): 109 mg/dL (range: 65-99, so a little on the high side, but I have PCOS and known issues with insulin resistance)

A1C: 5.5 (range: 4-6, so a little north of middle)

Average glucose estimate: 111 (range: 68-126; higher than I'd like, but not bad, considering the insulin resistance; I almost fear what it'd be like on the higher carb way of eating)

Creatinine: .75 mg/dL (range: 0.4-1.10, so about middle)

BUN: 12 mg/dL (range: 8-25, so fairly good)

BUN/Creat ratio: 16 (range: 10-20, so about smack dab middle)

Vitamin D: 17 ng/mL (range: 30-100, so way low; go figure, it's February and I'm in one of the cloudiest cities in North America)

(And now, for the fun numbers!)

Total Cholesterol: 205 mg/dL (Oh noez! Above the "desirable" cutoff of 199, so "borderline high")

HDL: 51 mg/dL (range: 40-59, so woot! pretty damn good)

LDL (calculated): 140 mg/dL ("borderline high," which is ranged 130-159; I take with a grain (or maybe I should have more? I am running low on sodium, after all :wink:) of salt, given what this diet does to LDL particles)

Trigs: 72 mg/dL ("normal" is anything below 150, so....yeah)

(These come from http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php )

TC/HDL ratio: 4.0 (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5; lab papers say 4.4 is average risk, 3.3 is 1/2 average risk; so, very much good, almost ideal)

HDL/LDL ratio: 0.367 (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4, so not quite ideal, but very much in the "preferable" range)

triglycerides/HDL ratio: 1.412 (preferably under 4, ideally under 2, so very much ideal)

Misc notes: I've also been quite sedentary the past few months, with only some walking (which has dropped off since the weather got f-ing cold), due to dessicated discs in my spine, which kept me from doing just about anything. The inflammation from that probably hasn't helped matters. I'm also in the process of getting tested for high cortisol (seems largely due to environment stuff and a stress feedback loop, but that was present at the time of the blood draw). PCOS also screws with all kinds of things, including blood sugar and lipid levels, so there's that, too.

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Great results, thanks for sharing.

::flowerforyou::
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Those are fantastic results. Mine have not been done since the first time in Aug so hoping when he does decide to run the lipids again there is a better out look than the first time. I do not know how long it takes for the changes towards the good to start happening.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm only "kind of keto," since I don't keep track of whether I'm in ketosis and I'm not completely strict on staying under 50g carbs, but it was requested that I post the results of my recent bloodwork, so here we go!

<SNIP>

Misc notes: I've also been quite sedentary the past few months, with only some walking (which has dropped off since the weather got f-ing cold), due to dessicated discs in my spine, which kept me from doing just about anything. The inflammation from that probably hasn't helped matters. I'm also in the process of getting tested for high cortisol (seems largely due to environment stuff and a stress feedback loop, but that was present at the time of the blood draw). PCOS also screws with all kinds of things, including blood sugar and lipid levels, so there's that, too.

Thank you Dragon for sharing that. It sounds really good. Another Keto success story for sedentary people (of whom I am king of)... I would hope to follow your footsteps...

Dan the Man from Michigan

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    I just got mine yesterday (after only 6 1/2 weeks on keto WOE). Really pissed tho'...I had talked my doc into adding the test for LDL particle size and the lab didn't do it, marking "not indicated". Urggg. When I reviewed the results with Doc, he said "well I know you wanted it but no point getting another stick, your results are fine so I'm not worried." History-Mom has super high cholesterol. I've had high for about 15 years, was on lipids but had to stop for complications related to the liver. Now take over the counter "Cholestoff". Here are the results with the lab's ranges in parentheses:
    Sodium 139 (133-145)
    Potassium 4.9 (3.3-5.1)
    BUN 14 (8-24)
    Creatinine 0.68 (.4-1.1)
    Fasting Glucose 86 (70-99)
    Total Cholesterol 265H (<200)-this is up from my recent results of around 195-205
    Triglyceride 92 (<150)
    HDL Cholesterol 78 (>39) I'm usually in the 60's and have actually been doing less exercise than normal due to being sick.
    LDL Cholesterol 169H (<100)-this is up from my normal result of around 130-145
    Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.4 (<3.5)

Thyroid normal; Blood count (Hgb, HCT etc) normal except for white blood cells-I'm getting over pneumonia.

So all in all I'm very pleased and so is doc. Especially happy about the HDL (good) cholesterol and Trig numbers.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    sbom1 wrote: »
    I just got mine yesterday (after only 6 1/2 weeks on keto WOE). Really pissed tho'...I had talked my doc into adding the test for LDL particle size and the lab didn't do it, marking "not indicated". Urggg. When I reviewed the results with Doc, he said "well I know you wanted it but no point getting another stick, your results are fine so I'm not worried." History-Mom has super high cholesterol. I've had high for about 15 years, was on lipids but had to stop for complications related to the liver. Now take over the counter "Cholestoff". Here are the results with the lab's ranges in parentheses:
    Sodium 139 (133-145)
    Potassium 4.9 (3.3-5.1)
    BUN 14 (8-24)
    Creatinine 0.68 (.4-1.1)
    Fasting Glucose 86 (70-99)
    Total Cholesterol 265H (<200)-this is up from my recent results of around 195-205
    Triglyceride 92 (<150)
    HDL Cholesterol 78 (>39) I'm usually in the 60's and have actually been doing less exercise than normal due to being sick.
    LDL Cholesterol 169H (<100)-this is up from my normal result of around 130-145
    Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.4 (<3.5)

Thyroid normal; Blood count (Hgb, HCT etc) normal except for white blood cells-I'm getting over pneumonia.

So all in all I'm very pleased and so is doc. Especially happy about the HDL (good) cholesterol and Trig numbers.

I know the feeling. I could have sworn I asked for my fasting inuslin (something I always have issues with and I've found to be the better indicator of things than just glucose), but they didn't do it. Grr...

Those numbers do look pretty good, considering your circumstances, though. It'd be really neat to see what your LDL particle size and count looks like.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    I had my cholesterol checked about a week ago (Everything else in basic bloodwork is in great shape)

http://i.imgur.com/l3s24RW.jpg

That shows my history over the last couple years with my cholesterol. My HDL has been super stubborn, so has my particle count. Trigs have come down like they do for everyone on keto.

If you're having issues w/ the image, most recent numbers:

Total Cholesterol: 160
    HDL: 36
    LDL: 110
    LDL Particle Number: 1855
    LDL Size: 19.8
    Trigs: 70

Started keto January 2014. HDL was 27 for years in a row, so creeping up to 30->33->36 feels like some sort of progress, and my trig/HDL ratio is a little under 2.0, so that's good, but I am sure jealous of those of you with HDL like 60+!
  • traveljjo
    traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
    Awesome! I am not experienced with PCOS, but it seems very challenging to deal with. I had chronic inflammation in my knees that caused more tissue disease as time went on (as well as certain muscles not firing) I wish in retrospect I would have been more aggressive in dealing with it.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    I've always had very good cholesterol numbers. Just had a lipid panel done after 4 weeks of keto and my numbers were better than ever (yay!).
    TC: 178 (down from 184)
    HDL: 79 (up from 68)
    LDL: 84 (down from 95)
    Trig: 77 (down from 98)
    All other tests were good as well. I'm seeing a new Primary Care Doc and this will help any argument I need to make about my chosen diet.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    WOW Lizpitts. That is some great # changes. I was thinking to put off my PCP appointment for a few more months to give my WOE time to work. Hoping it will show up well in my then blood work.