Silly question about fat consumption and trying to stay in ketosis

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
So I tried Googling for this information and I read the launch pad but maybe I'm just not getting it. If you are trying to stay in ketosis for fat burning to lose weight then why is it important that your calories ( or most of them ) come from fat consumption?

Sorry if this has been discussed. I'm trying to understand. Somehow I keep thinking if I wasn't eating fats, then my body would need to burn the fat that my body has in storage instead.

Oh and I understand that fats help you feel more satisfied etc. I eat my fats for sure to try and do this correctly. Just for curiosity sake I'm wondering.

Replies

• eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons. You need some calories coming in or you will eventually experience metabolic adaptation and stop burning as much energy. Eating mostly fat also primes your body to burn fat (both dietary and body) by building up the efficiency of the metabolic pathways that burn fat. A huge excess or protein causes a lot of glucose to be created which is counter productive to ketogenic diets. Too many carbs is also counter productive. Then there is the satiety issue you mentioned. Fat makes you satisfied. Also, if you cut carbs and fats and eat just protein it will eventually lead to a condition called "rabbit starvation".
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank You so much for explaining it to me :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I was eating all the fat that I needed and was not really losing weight so I took 700 calories out of the amount of fat that I was eating and seem to be burning about 700 calories a day based on my current rate of loss.