Week 5 20-minute jump

Options
Anybody past week 5? I noticed tomorrow I go from internals to running for 20 minutes and I'm really worried. Suggestions? Anybody been there or about to?

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Been there, done it. Take it easy and trust the program. :)
    Yes it's scary, but don't focus on the time, focus on keeping the run easy and before you know it you'll be told it's time to walk.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Been there. You are ready and can do this but you'll have to fight your head. Trust the program and yourself.
    Prepare yourself with entertainment: an audio book, favorite running music. Try not to look at the display if you're on the treadmill. Stare out a window if you can.
    If you start to tire, slow down but do not stop running. If you can, run slower throughout the 20 minutes.
    It's scary but believe that you're ready because you are.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I want to add that it really isn't such a huge jump at all. 8 + 8 minutes you already have done with walking in between, so now it is a measly 4 more minutes to run instead. It's all in the perspective.

Your mind might hesitate but your body certainly is ready. Let your body show you what it is capable of and have fun!
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It really is about your brain... I did the 20 minute run earlier this week, I was really anxious about it as well, but I knew once I did it, it would be in the past and I could get to the next segment and I did it! I covered up the timer, (I run on a treadmill) so I would not focus on the time, played some of my favorite music and kept telling myself if it gets too hard I can always slow down a bit... Just go for it!

• JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just slow down and keep going. You have this!
  • littlesnausage
    Options
    I agree with all the other posts here. I've just completed W6D3 and the trick is to keep it slow. This is my second go at this workout as I went too fast last time and burned out. It was so disappointing. Today went so much better.

It's definitely a mental barrier. W7 is all 25 minute runs. Already I am feeling apprehensive about it but I know that if I keep my pace slow it should be fine. Once I've completed the programme and can run for 30 minutes then I will start to work on increasing my pace.

You can do it!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Been there, worried about it, did it! Go slow, and trust the program! Gosh, it seemed so scary at the time—it feels like yesterday now that I think about it. You can totally do it! You'll feel like such a badass afterward.

(Also, FWIW, I finished C25K on November 30, have run several 5Ks and even a 15K since, and today I ran 7 miles without stopping like it was nothing, just an everyday training run ... I owe EVERYTHING to C25K and couldn't recommend it more strongly.)