Put weight back on. No idea how help!!!

Options
embersdream
embersdream Posts: 401 Member
I have zero idea why I've put weight back on . My macros look textbook perfect now. I'm about to give up if I don't see more results .

Replies

• gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you been testing your blood or urine for ketones take sure you're in ketosis? Aside from that, I don't know!
  • sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Macros as far as percentages are less important than actual amounts in grams, are you still tracking carefully? Watching your calorie intake? Etc. also the scales often reflect water weight, are you tracking other things like waist,etc.?
  • embersdream
    Options
    hmmm my waist has changed , but i have been trying to get macros right instead of grams. maybe i need to just focus on the grams for a bit . i have been traking carefully. but yep i just have to try other things.
  • embersdream
    Options
    hmmm i just did my keto calculator again . and tweeked a few things. hopefully that will help, and changed the grams.
  • traveljjo
    traveljjo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too recently. At first it was 3 pounds, now it's 1.5. Still, VERY frustrating. I think what is really important is to listen to your gut instinct because we are our best advocate. Don't give up too soon (we all want instant results) Depending on how close you are to your goal, it will be slower. My personal experience is I think I need higher carb limits for vegetables. I am going to start experimenting.
  • embersdream
    Options
    yep. looks like ive put on 6.6 pounds. and im like what the heck? guess im going to just try it with the changed gms and calorie intake and see if it works
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have zero idea why I've put weight back on . My macros look textbook perfect now. I'm about to give up if I don't see more results .

Ember, how much do you weigh? I weigh around 257ish lbs (18.36 stone or 116.6 kg) and my daily goal is 1400 calories. I see your goal is around that. Are you as heavy as I am? If not, you probably need to scale your calories back at least 200 ~ maybe 400 and you will start to see results.

Otherwise, what you are doing now, proves to be maintenance. I have no scientific basis for what I think about the online "calculators", but I think they are for more "active" people. When I plugged in my numbers (on several occasions as my weight changed) the numbers they gave me (20% deficit and I followed) resulted in ZERO weight loss, I didn't gain or lose.

I am so sedentary, that I am almost in a coma. If you have ever watched the movie, "The Matrix" I would be one of those people in the pods (LOL!). I will soon get a "Fitbit" (device that measures your activity, steps, etc) and it will probably show that I take about 100 steps a day (if that).

One last thing, if you are Keto adapted, then I highly suggest you do a 24 hour water fast. I think I suggested this to you before, I can't remember if you tried it or not?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Otherwise, what you are doing now, proves to be maintenance. I have no scientific basis for what I think about the online "calculators", but I think they are for more "active" people. When I plugged in my numbers (on several occasions as my weight changed) the numbers they gave me (20% deficit and I followed) resulted in ZERO weight loss, I didn't gain or lose.

I am so sedentary, that I am almost in a coma. If you have ever watched the movie, "The Matrix" I would be one of those people in the pods (LOL!). I will soon get a "Fitbit" (device that measures your activity, steps, etc) and it will probably show that I take about 100 steps a day (if that).

I have the opposite problem with the calculators. I have to select moderate activity level to come close to my burn (I am maybe lightly active at best). I guess I shouldn't complain. Lol
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I had a 6lb gain last weekend too. I went away for a weekend with my girlfriends, JUMPED out of ketosis, and struggled all week to loss those 6lbs and get back into ketosis (just got there yesterday).

The hardest part of this WOE is being consistent and staying in ketosis. When we fall (or in my case jump), off the wagon, we will automatically gain. It's the glycogen process, the way our body stores it in water.

For the past few months, I have been in and out of ketosis, and my weight has dropped and risen accordingly. I know, and more importantly I now accept, that if I want to really work this WOE for life, I have to not jump off the wagon and maintain ketosis to become keto-adapted.

I know I am rambling, but I peeked in your diary and noticed there are days when your carbs are high or your diary is empty. If you are doing what I've been doing, there is your answer. You are still learning, adjusting your lifestyle and prioritizing on the fly (like last Saturday when I switched from my vodka tonics to draft beers), then you are not yet consistent. Don't give up. Get yourself back on track and wait for the woosh!!
  • embersdream
    Options

Ember, how much do you weigh? I weigh around 257ish lbs (18.36 stone or 116.6 kg) and my daily goal is 1400 calories. I see your goal is around that. Are you as heavy as I am? If not, you probably need to scale your calories back at least 200 ~ maybe 400 and you will start to see results.

One last thing, if you are Keto adapted, then I highly suggest you do a 24 hour water fast. I think I suggested this to you before, I can't remember if you tried it or not?

I hope this helps,

yes!!!! i re did my calculator and subsequently dropped the calories. was way too high, was wondering why i was feeling so damn full!!! i have slipped out of ketosis i am sure , so am going to try the tweeked version of my diet and exercise more( limited mobility at the moment and am awaiting surgery) i weigh i think its about 176 and am 170 cm so yep , was at 1400 and dropped it back to about 1295 but it said i can drop down to 793 if i want so what i am going to do is do one day at 1250 and one day at about 800 and switch it around and keep my body guessing a bit , see if it works. If it does i shall report back! i have just been a bit desperate because i need to drop a certain amoount of weight prior to surgery as i will be completely immobile for a few months after that.
  • embersdream
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I had a 6lb gain last weekend too. I went away for a weekend with my girlfriends, JUMPED out of ketosis, and struggled all week to loss those 6lbs and get back into ketosis (just got there yesterday).

The hardest part of this WOE is being consistent and staying in ketosis. When we fall (or in my case jump), off the wagon, we will automatically gain. It's the glycogen process, the way our body stores it in water.

For the past few months, I have been in and out of ketosis, and my weight has dropped and risen accordingly. I know, and more importantly I now accept, that if I want to really work this WOE for life, I have to not jump off the wagon and maintain ketosis to become keto-adapted.

I know I am rambling, but I peeked in your diary and noticed there are days when your carbs are high or your diary is empty. If you are doing what I've been doing, there is your answer. You are still learning, adjusting your lifestyle and prioritizing on the fly (like last Saturday when I switched from my vodka tonics to draft beers), then you are not yet consistent. Don't give up. Get yourself back on track and wait for the woosh!!

yes absolutelt. there were a few days where i went away and we were all in a communal house with a lot of people and cooking together and i found it almost impossible . for the most part i was good and didnt indulge in any crap , but a friend had picked berries for example and i ate them after they were staring me in the face for two days. Being honest with myself i just need to suck it up and be even stricter. I will let you know as i mentioned above if my new plan works , as it might help someone else who is struggling.

It IS disheartening after the initial success of my first 10 days , i was so stoked at the results and thought i was doing the right thing! and i havent been walking every day which i am doing again.

Finally it comes down to decision making doesnt it? Looking closely, i hvent been as committed as i could be , deciding and then not 100% following through ( only 80%) is not committment. Its gotta be 100% or i should just do something else. So I am going to give it 100% for the next month.
  • embersdream
    Options
    oh ive got about 20 - 30 pounds to lose. i wonder if i stick to it 1005 how it would take? Any ideas?
  • embersdream
    Options
    also, if the fat is higher , thats ok right? as long as it is in the calorie range i have set? eg . i mapped out mydiet in advance today for sunday , and so far have just had my bulletproof coffee. i am waiting until i am REALLY genuinely hungry before i go and have breakfast. Then as the day goes on i am going to tweek the diet accordingly
  • embersdream
    Options
    Its also REALLY hot here which will curb the apetite. And hopefully increase my desire to drink water, which ive been struggling with.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How high is your stress level right now about this particular subject, and also overall?

I hear stress in your posts. I may be wrong, and if so, correct me.

Stress and/or lack of sleep can seriously stall weight loss efforts due to the hormone cortisol. If you are stressed out, try to relax a bit, and see if that helps.

Deep breathing/meditation

Yoga class (gentle ones)

Spa music listening

ASMR videos on youtube

Book a massage and/or facial

Sauna/steam room

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't go too low, your body needs the energy. I would follow the recommendations set for your calorie deficit and just stay on top of your macros, for now. Too many changes and you won't know what's really working, so one thing at a time.
  • DittoDan
    Options

yes!!!! i re did my calculator and subsequently dropped the calories. was way too high, was wondering why i was feeling so damn full!!! i have slipped out of ketosis i am sure , so am going to try the tweeked version of my diet and exercise more( limited mobility at the moment and am awaiting surgery) i weigh i think its about 176 and am 170 cm so yep , was at 1400 and dropped it back to about 1295 but it said i can drop down to 793 if i want so what i am going to do is do one day at 1250 and one day at about 800 and switch it around and keep my body guessing a bit , see if it works. If it does i shall report back! i have just been a bit desperate because i need to drop a certain amoount of weight prior to surgery as i will be completely immobile for a few months after that.

It sounds as though you are on a path to Bariatrics? (I think you mentioned that a long tme ago) Is that true? If so, I highly recommend you postpone it and give the Ketogenic diet a chance. That's what I did. I found out about this diet after signing up for bariatrics. I subsequently cancelled it. Even if you get the bariatrics, and after a year or two, IF you don't lay off the CARBS, you WILL regain the weight, albeit slower. That is the leading cause of Bariatric failure - eating carbs. You have to realize that carbs are your enemy, whether you get the surgery or not. You are probably a carboholic and can't stand the thought of not eating them again.

If Bariatrics isn't the surgery, please disregard what I just said....

• embersdream
    Options

It sounds as though you are on a path to Bariatrics? (I think you mentioned that a long tme ago) Is that true? If so, I highly recommend you postpone it and give the Ketogenic diet a chance. That's what I did. I found out about this diet after signing up for bariatrics. I subsequently cancelled it. Even if you get the bariatrics, and after a year or two, IF you don't lay off the CARBS, you WILL regain the weight, albeit slower. That is the leading cause of Bariatric failure - eating carbs. You have to realize that carbs are your enemy, whether you get the surgery or not. You are probably a carboholic and can't stand the thought of not eating them again.

If Bariatrics isn't the surgery, please disregard what I just said....

Hi Dan , no Idea what bariatrucs is lol . I'm getting a knee reconstruction , anterior cruciate is totally ripped off which I did trail running , basically too much running and weakness there and boxing , all the training just weakened it and pop! . So I have very limited movement. I have struggled a bit w carbs not stuff likd wheats thjngs but more fruits n veg . I'm giving it a red hot go still , I'm not really a quitter :) and thanx so much for all your advice , I'm so grateful .
  • DittoDan
    Options

<snip>

Hi Dan , no Idea what bariatrucs is lol . I'm getting a knee reconstruction , anterior cruciate is totally ripped off which I did trail running , basically too much running and weakness there and boxing , all the training just weakened it and pop! . So I have very limited movement. I have struggled a bit w carbs not stuff likd wheats thjngs but more fruits n veg . I'm giving it a red hot go still , I'm not really a quitter :) and thanx so much for all your advice , I'm so grateful .

Sorry, I got you confused with someone else.

Dan the Man from Confusion Land

• embersdream
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How high is your stress level right now about this particular subject, and also overall?

I hear stress in your posts. I may be wrong, and if so, correct me.

Stress and/or lack of sleep can seriously stall weight loss efforts due to the hormone cortisol. If you are stressed out, try to relax a bit, and see if that helps.

Deep breathing/meditation

Yoga class (gentle ones)

Spa music listening

ASMR videos on youtube

Book a massage and/or facial

Sauna/steam room
    hmmmm I suppose a little bit , there was a week of stressy stuff in the mix and I'm under a lot of pressure w my work and deadline , but very happy with it . More anxious around losing weight before my surgery as I'll b immobile for some time . Immobility generally stresses me out as I can't train properly which was always my go to , to remedy stress .
    Received a massage last week . But can never get enough really , I usually swap e friends as I used to work as a massage therapist for 12 years but changed careers.
    Thank you!! A good reminder as yep I do get insomnia sometimes .