You ate what???

Options
I have decided that I need to really start eating things I would not normally eat. It kind of all started when we were binge watching Bizarre Foods, but I still think that there are things out there that are healthy and clean that I could be adding to my diet for nutritional value and to break up the perceived monotony we sometimes think is happening when dieting.

First of all, I'd like to add my opinion that Clean Eating (CE) is not a diet but a lifestyle. Just like any lifestyle, we can change dramatically or little by little. We can go full steam ahead or bits here and there. We can put things in our food that the family has no idea is there and feel great when you see them eating healthy and they have no clue what it is they just ate.

A little bit ago, I made mashed potatoes. I added turnip to it. Nobody knew. It wasn't clean, mind you, we have to do this in baby steps when you are slowly integrating this into the children's diet, especially if they don't know it is happening. I made bean soup the other day, too, and that was met with enthusiasm. Oh, that wonderful fiber they consumed :)

Me next step is to somehow integrate kohlrabi into dinner. This purple alien of a vegetable. Brassica is a diverse and nutritious family with many items to choose from. It sort of tastes like broccoli and that is where the problem lies. If broccoli doesn't happen to be smothered in cheese the wee ones turn up their noses. I completely understand because cauliflower is my kryptonite. You would get all sort of national secrets out of me if that was used as a torture device.

Soon I will start introducing the fermented foods. It will be easy to start off with pickles, but where to go from there?

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I like your idea of trying different foods. I'll have to look around next time I'm at the store. Although I just printed out a Clean Eating asparagus/avocado sushi recipe. Thought it might be fun to try making my own today.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I joined a CSA (community shared agriculture) last year, and with our weekly shares we received veggies that I would never normally buy. This forced me to either try new things or waste some really good stuff! One of the best things I found was how delicious wilted greens of any variety were!

My best friend just bought all the "fixings" to make her own sushi--and I was just going to do the same! I love the veggies rolls, spicy sauce (saracha)....yum!
  • czecher
    czecher Posts: 21
    Options
    We have one of the 12 tribes here, locally. They are always at the farmer's markets and they have an wonderful "green drink". You can readily taste the grapefruit, but I know there are several different greens in there. That is one way to make sure you get the nutrition you need - DRINK IT!!! I had some this morning mixed with some of my powders. I normally do not add it to my food diary because I have no idea what is in it, how many calories, etc. They only label the ingredients.

I don't want to sound like an infomercial or push products, but I highly recommend the vitamixer. I seriously have been able to sneak cabbage in the fruit smoothies and the children have no idea. Get a mixer that processes well enough and you can hide all sorts of things.

I love to go to the different ethnic markets in my area and try all the wonderful and exotic looking things they have, too. I discovered Vietnamese coriander and it is wonderful. It is a mix between cilantro and mint with some citrus undertones so it is perfect for salads and to drop a few leaves in a lemonade. I really want to try bittergourd because it is supposed to be really healthy - I just need to find a recipe that I am comfortable enough with so I can get the children to try it. Chinese okra tastes just like zuc when cooked but doesn't get mushy.
  • conniedj
    Options
    I am going to have to look for the vietnamese coriander---sounds amazing! And I love regular coriander....
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese coriander---that does sound wonderful.
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    My bf is really into the idea of growing our own food in the garden (we do have somethings growing, but we're newbie gardeners). I've started experimenting with eating some of the green leafy weeds in our garden.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My organic share next week contains collards and kale. Two things I've never made. I think I'm going to make the kale chips with the kale and then figure out what to do with the collards. Last week's share had two artichokes and I procrastinated cooking them for so long I ended up throwing them away :(
  • czecher
    czecher Posts: 21
    Options
    There are some really great websites on organic gardening at home. I even started a blog for those who think they do not have the room to garden - it was with a high school friend in mind and while really short, so far, I try to post every day. I've been gardening for lots and lots of years and the one thing I have found most true, some veggies are better off bought at the farmer's market. I gave up growing cord and cabbage (most other brassica, too) because of the time consuming search for bad bugs. I am only growing kale, collards, kohlrabi and broccoli right now because I can only devote so much time to turning each and every leaf over to look for those magnificently camouflaged little inchworms that eat the heck out of the leaves. Corn worms are more damaging and less easy to spot because they get under all the husks. the worms seem to leave the russian red kale alone - boy that one is pretty!

You can also employ one of my tactics and that is to plant decoy veggies. These I have in another part of the yard and I just let the bugs go at it. If you can't beat them, make them think you gave up! This way, the cycle of nature continues and I'm not responsible for the countless bug deaths that I could be. I also like to use beneficial bugs and always add ladybugs to my garden and I also started using praying mantis this year, too. The only problem with that is I have to remove the beneficial spiders to keep the from eating my good bugs - it is a balance.

Feel free to message me if you would like more info.

As for collards - those are such a not clean food if prepared correctly (gotta use bacon), but it can be done. I like to add them to soup because they hold their texture much better than cabbage. Or, if all else fails, they make a wonderful addition to green smoothies or fruit smoothies.
  • conniedj
    Options
    Here's an easy and delicious way to eat any greens!

Saute onions and garlic in a pan ( I use a little bit of coconut oil).
    Make sure your greens are clean and dried, and have the stems/stalks removed ( for collards, I cut off the leafy green part)
    Let your onion and garlic cook down to just soften with a bit of carmelization.
    Add greens--lots of greens. Toss, and let them wilt down to soften just a bit--salt pepper, any spice or fresh herb that sounds/smells good.

Eat alone, or over a starch--yum!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give them a try. I know they are super good for you.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stupid question - why wasn't the mashed potatoes with turnip clean ?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Stupid question - why wasn't the mashed potatoes with turnip clean ?

Wondered that myself!
  • conniedj
    Options
    "Clean" is a nebulous term. I eat from every food group--and limit/avoid processed. Potatoes--while on the dirty dozen--I still consider clean! I can only speak for myself though! ( and turnips too!)
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy and delicious way to eat any greens!

Saute onions and garlic in a pan ( I use a little bit of coconut oil).
    Make sure your greens are clean and dried, and have the stems/stalks removed ( for collards, I cut off the leafy green part)
    Let your onion and garlic cook down to just soften with a bit of carmelization.
    Add greens--lots of greens. Toss, and let them wilt down to soften just a bit--salt pepper, any spice or fresh herb that sounds/smells good.

Eat alone, or over a starch--yum!

We have a weekly farm share and have had LOTS of greens to deal with, and a family that really doesn't like them all that much. We do exactly what you described, too. Not always onions, but always garlic - at least one cloves, sometimes two if they are small. And a squeeze of fresh lemon at the end does wonders too. I like it plain, but my even my kids will eat it mixed with rice, pasta or potatoes (reg or sweet).