Suggestions for strengthening knees

Options
grim_traveller
grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
I am looking for suggestions for any and all exercises to help strengthen my knees, looking down the road about a year from now to having both knees replaced. I was told five years ago I needed two new knees, and then likely hips, but I needed to lose weight first. Well, the weight is now gone. My orthopaedic surgeon has given me a few exercises, but they are really basic. I do them anyway, of course, but am looking for more.

I am about finished losing weight, having hit a "normal" BMI on this week's weigh-in, and started slowly increasing calories about a month ago, looking to establish maintenance down the road in a month or two (or three). Then I plan on going from trying to maintain muscle to adding some. I want to build these muscles up as much as possible to make the replacements and rehab as easy as possible.

I am 53 years old, 6"3", and currently at 199 pounds. I do Stronglifts 5x5 three days a week, and walking and light (very) cardio on a recumbent bike at home the other days. I can't run because of my knees and hips. I also do the seated leg press on the Life Fitness machine at the gym, but have maxed out the weight on that. My gym has a full range of all of the cable-weight machines, in addition to free weights, etc. I have a very flexible schedule, so I can go whenever I need to.

So, is there anything I can add to help make my knees stronger, looking maybe a year down the road to having some fancy new titanium, and hopefully Steve Austin type knees put in?

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What has your orthopedic surgeon given you to do?
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I thought I was in the world of getting new knees (osteoarthritis) but since losing weight & gaining muscle on my legs the symptoms have largely receded.
    I do a whole gym session on my legs 1 day a week & walk 4 days, 4-5 miles.
    so I know a bit about knees, but not hips so maybe you should do a bit more research.
    the 5 exercises I do are;
    leg extensions
    leg curls
    adductors
    abductors
    weighted calf raises
    I work with quite heavy weights and the only proviso is that you DON'T fully retract the joint, only go to 3/4. So you fully extend the joint in extensions and curls but don't fully retract. The other 3 don't involve rotating the knee joint.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What has your orthopedic surgeon given you to do?

^^this

And also, is there anything that you have been told you should not be doing?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I use to have knee pain after squatting heavy. What fixed it was:

1. Buy the Supple Leopard book.
    2. Getting a lacross ball and placing it behind my knee. Then pressing my thigh towards me. If that makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUsX7cVpvdw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJbjVBiJpwM

Oh like others said, go back to your doctor.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

2. Getting a lacross ball and placing it behind my knee. Then pressing my thigh towards me. If that makes sense.

^ Thanks, will check this stuff out. I've heard about this book from multiple people now.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    What the others said about listening to you doctor (and/or physical therapist). Also, you mentioned that you're doing Stronglifts plus the leg-press. Most people tend to be quad-dominant and this could be aggravating the imbalance. If you're going to do extra work on top of SL it should be glute-ham related, not quad.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^ Thanks, will check this stuff out. I've heard about this book from multiple people now.

I actually ordered it yesterday. Should arrive in a few days.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I look forward to hearing about the Supple Leopard book, it could be very helpful.

The surgeon suggested some exercises that were all body weight only. These were leg raises from lying down; seated knee extensions; heel raises; and "wall slides," essentially squats with your back against a wall. I do these, twice a day, but with just body weight they aren't very difficult, and remind me of working out with five pound dumbbells.

As for the suggestion for extra exercise that are glute/ham related, can someone suggest something?

Part of why I do the leg press is I can put more stress on the muscles to strengthen them, and less wear on my knees and hips. I can't lift as much in squats as I should because the joint pain gets me before I get close to muscle failure.

Overall, my leg muscles are pretty strong, mostly because they were hauling around my ginormous fat *kitten* for so long. I've passed the max of 390 on the leg press, for instance. But there are other smaller muscles that I feel I should be paying attention to, and I just know so little about all of that at this point. I've got a lot of time to prepare, and the earlier I get started, the more I can accomplish.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and let us know about Supple Leopard when you are able.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    As for the suggestion for extra exercise that are glute/ham related, can someone suggest something?

Glute-ham raise (if you're lucky enough to have access to one in your gym)
    Romanian deadlift
    Good-Morning
    Leg-curl

Have you discussed your current regimen with your Ortho? Although it's generally good, it may be appropriate to hold off until you've rehabbed your knee.