Dawn phenomenon

Options
Sugarbeat
Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
Are there any diabetics here who experience this? Since going strictly low carb my BG levels are where they need to be except right after I wake up. I've done some reading on it but has anyone found a good way to lower it?

Replies

• lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've had that for years. My doc said to eat something before bedtime (protein + carbs). That seemed to help a little. Now that I've gotten my A1C down to 5.6 it's not as pronounced. I've been keto for 4 weeks and my fasting glucose has dropped from 130-140 to 110-115.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Excellent numbers! I will try eating something small before bed and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • jasonlecount
    Options
    Hi. Do you have type-2 or type-1 diabetes? I have type 1 and have a rise in my BG starting around 4am until 7 or 8. It probably would come up 60 to 80 if I didn't correct it. I have an insulin pump so set my basal rate to almost twice the norm starting at 4 am and ending at 7:30.

Since going LCHF (low carb high fat) it seems that I'm seeing less of an effect, but too soon to say how pronounced it is.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Are there any diabetics here who experience this? Since going strictly low carb my BG levels are where they need to be except right after I wake up. I've done some reading on it but has anyone found a good way to lower it?

Maybe this will help:
    mendosa.com/blog/?s=Dawn+Phenomenon
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Hi. Do you have type-2 or type-1 diabetes? I have type 1 and have a rise in my BG starting around 4am until 7 or 8. It probably would come up 60 to 80 if I didn't correct it. I have an insulin pump so set my basal rate to almost twice the norm starting at 4 am and ending at 7:30.

Since going LCHF (low carb high fat) it seems that I'm seeing less of an effect, but too soon to say how pronounced it is.

I'm type 2. I tried eating a slice of peanut butter bread and taking my Metformin closer to bedtime but it still was up. I'll just keep going and hopefully as I lose weight it will come down by itself. I'm not on insulin.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    tq33702 wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

Maybe this will help:
    mendosa.com/blog/?s=Dawn+Phenomenon

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. The only thing is I don't take insulin. I'll just keep trying.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I read that this high number when you wake up while seeming impossible, is not uncommon.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have it too. Talked to my doc. She suggested eating nuts right before bed to help. I don't think it has helped yet but maybe once I lose more weight.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    g
    lizpitts wrote: »
    I've had that for years. My doc said to eat something before bedtime (protein + carbs). That seemed to help a little. Now that I've gotten my A1C down to 5.6 it's not as pronounced. I've been keto for 4 weeks and my fasting glucose has dropped from 130-140 to 110-115.

That's great! I should prolly try it again. It's been a few months. I fell out of the habit.