bike trainer brick video

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
Since we have had regular weekly snow storms in the northeast US and there are no signs of spring in the forecast, I decided to buy a bike trainer. Should arrive in a few days. Now I'm browsing training videos (sufferfest) and saw one for bike/run brick work on trainer and treadmills. Has anyone used it, and if so, did you get any value beyond doing your own brick workouts without the tape? My first instinct is to either buy a straight cycling video or else watch netflix movies while I'm pedaling to nowhere.
Appreciate any insights.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill so I can't do one. I don't know if you were aware but Sufferfest now offers a monthly subscription for $10 USD you get access to all their videos. I signed up for this month just to try it out.
    Yes, in the long run it's probably better to just buy the videos but $10 isn't bad to check them out and see if you like them.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I own all of the sufferfest videos and have ridden almost all of them but didn't buy the running version since I too, don't own a treadmill. There are a bunch of free ones available if you look around though. I use a wahoo kickr trainer and can create ERG files pretty easily to go along with whatever video I wish to use for trainerroad. Look up slipstreamer-new training video. It can be downloaded for free from video but is also avail on youtube for a start. decent video and music to ride to.
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have seen a lot of really good videos for free on YouTube. I like watching Ironman Kona replays there too. Netflix and Amazon Prime are great too. I guess you just have to experiment and find what works for you. Those long Z2 rides can be a grind! :smile:
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You are talking about Chrysalis. Yes that workout is awesome. Footage is great too of Challenge Roth (where my wife will be racing this year and I get to go watch and drink beer all day!)

I am a huge advocate of all of the Sufferfest videos - they really make you a beast on the bike.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions. At this point I've purchased the trainer, installed the bike on it and done a couple sessions. I've also bought two Sufferfest videos to start - the basic one called the Elements of Style which contains some cycling drills, and an interval workout titled A Very Dark Place. I"m just getting used to following them, but have managed to generate plenty of sweat in a short period of time. We are still in the grip of winter here, so my personal trainer suggested that I bring the bike w/trainer to the gym on Saturday to "test drive" a trainer/treadmill brick under his supervision. Will see how that goes, since my trainer enjoys producing Sufferfest style opportunities for me every week. :smile:
  • glevinso
    Options
    AVDP will leave you grovelling by the end. A personal favorite :)

Actually they all hurt like hell. But they make you fast.
  • glevinso
    Options
    For a real "treat" sign up for TrainerRoad and couple that with the Sufferfest videos (they work together).
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    the only downfall I've found with trainerroad is it not importing to MFP. But importing it to strava is an easy workaround. I think I've ridden almost every one of the sufferfest vids at this point other than "extra shot" and like them all. Ran Rubber Glove last night and improved my FTP by 30 points since last test, can't wait for warmer weather to get off the trainer and get outdoors and get some real mileage down. Going for at least a Gran Fondo the first day it gets over 50 degrees around here.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    AVDP will leave you grovelling by the end. A personal favorite :)

Actually they all hurt like hell. But they make you fast.

With an endorsement like that, how can I go wrong! lol....thanks.