Mayo

Options
ruthiejewell
ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
I know some people prefer to make fresh mayo but I just can't give up my beloved Hellman's Real Mayo. Maybe this is obvious or simplistic but I thought I'd share anyway that I use this mayo for all creamy sauces eg cheese sauce, garlic sauce etc. I can't believe I used to have all the hassle in my pre low carb/keto days of using flour, butter etc! I also make a sort of sweet chilli mayo for my husband by adding chill powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, sun dried tomato puree and garlic and tomato puree to a whole container as he likes it with almost everything!. I love adding garlic puree on its own too.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to give up my Hellman's either but after perfecting my mayo it tastes just like Hellman's! I also put all the ingredients in a jar and make it with the hand blender, no worrying about slow dripping oil (brutal! lol)

I wouldn't worry about using the Hellman's though, there are worse things!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I used Hellman's Real Mayo with every dish I ate for added flavor. Added in cayenne powder as well for a kick.
  • dawnmarie1115
    dawnmarie1115 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :smile: Mmm..I like the idea of making flavored mayo.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I make all kinds of variations with my homemade mayo. I used to love Hellmann's too but any food with canola, soy, etc is a deal breaker. I abosolutely refuse to spend one more dollar on those kinds of "food". So for me, it's a "get fed up with the food industry and boycott their products" kind of thing. I'd be even more strict if I lived anywhere other than the Arctic.

Making homemade mayo turned out to be so EASY. My favourite is baconnaise. I'm even fermenting my mayo now and it makes it last a long time and contributes healthy bacteria to my gut. Win win.

(And I get a lot of pride from feeding my child homemade foods.)
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Making homemade mayo turned out to be so EASY. My favourite is baconnaise. I'm even fermenting my mayo now and it makes it last a long time and contributes healthy bacteria to my gut. Win win.

(And I get a lot of pride from feeding my child homemade foods.)

Can you please post your recipe for said mayonnaise? That sounds absolutely amazing :flowerforyou:
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to give up my Hellman's either but after perfecting my mayo it tastes just like Hellman's! I also put all the ingredients in a jar and make it with the hand blender, no worrying about slow dripping oil (brutal! lol)

Woudl you mind posting your recipe as well? Thanks!
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting macros, Mayo is the last thing in the world to worry about. My kraft mayo has less then 1g carbs. 1 Tablespoon of Mayo + 1 tablespoon of siracha = deliciousness!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Woudl you mind posting your recipe as well? Thanks!

I use a small mason jar (500ml) to add the following:

1 WHOLE room temperature egg (very important)
    1/2 a fresh squeezed lemon (about 1 tablespoon, sometimes a touch more)
    1/2tsp salt (I use pink himalayan)
    1/2tsp Keen's dry mustard (I use double what the recipe calls for, tastes better imo)
    3/4C Bertoli very light tasting olive oil.

Place everything in mason jar, blend with stick blender for 30 seconds or so. Voila... mayo!

I take some Club House Indian Masala seasoning and mix some in sometimes, it's a nice touch also.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    Ruthie your mayo sounds wonderful. You may want to try a shortcut since it has many of the seasonings if not all, that you are adding to the mayo. It's called "Schug" and it's like a very spicy pesto of hot pepper, cumin, oil, paprika, oil etc which you can find at a middle eastern or kosher foods store. I've also successfully added just Louisiana hot sauce to mayo...or for a "chipotle aioli" add canned chipotle pepper with adobo sauce.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lots of interesting points! Re Schug, like so many products, we're unlikely to find it here in the UK. Often those things have too many sus ingredients anyway, not that I eat near clean as yet. I really will try sometime to make my own. Can homemade also be heated for sauces? And how long will it keep? thanks! And to wwwdot... I don't think anyone on here is worried about mayo, we're just worshipping it in it's various forms!!!:happy:
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    Schug keeps for months (seriously) in the fridge as there is no liquid in it and the oil acts as sort of a preservative. You may want to make your own versions of it (so any number of seasonings as a paste in oil)...then you can control your ingredients but still have it handy for when it's time to add it to something. It can totally be heated...this brings out more flavor as spices blossom in hot oil. Just a note, fresh garlic (whole, chopped, pureed etc) however does not last long in the fridge...even in oil although oil helps, and is said to carry a risk of botulism if kept for long, so should be consumed somewhat quickly. Sad but true. I'll also note that my LCHF doc says that all refined oils, even the so-called better ones (canola, safflower etc) convert partially in the body into trans-fats due to their manufacturing processes. I know this is quite a strong statement, and there I was last week trying to be "healthier" buying hellmans "Canola Mayo" which I didn't end up liking. So my bottom line is, if it's all pretty bad for you, then you may as well have a little of what you really enjoy. Although I do like my unrefined coconut oil and my EVOO, i've yet to find a wonderful, completely unrefined-fat laden mayo but I am inspired to. I'd be happy to make it myself from something clean. I welcome all recipies. Here here from a fellow mayo-worshipper. :-)