Maintenance help after gastric bypass

Options
jackibailey
jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
I was wondering if anybody was to maintenance yet. This is hard for me because I only know how to gain and lose. I read that gastric bypass patients have to eat less than 1000 calories to maintain. Has anybody found that to be true? I've been on maintenance for about a week and my weight fluctuates up and down a couple pounds and I'm eating about 850 calories a day. That is such low calories and some days I find that I don't feel well. Like low blood sugar or something. If anybody has some maintenance advice for gastric bypass I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Jacki.

Replies

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Im about 8 yrs post op. I am currently eating between 700-850 weekdays and 900-1000 calories on weekends because I'm trying to lose the 84 lbs I have gained back. :(
    But if I were at my lowest weight of 147 lbs according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results my maintenance daily calorie intake should be at 1864 calories. Go on there and enter your info and the result number on the TDEE would be the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. ****(you need to put you height in as inches or centimeters not feet). Let me know if you need some help.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have used the TDEE and found it to be very helpful. I went through each stage of weight loss to figure what my maintenance should be for each depending on my activity level. I am 5'7" and age 49 and extremely sedentary. Under 1500 steps aday.

To maintain at a weight of:
    291 eat 2760 cal/day no activity.
    230 eat 2089 cal/day no activity
    230 eat 2394 cal/day workout 1-3/week at 30 minutes
    155 eat 1698 cal/day no activity
    155 eat 1946 cal/day workout 1-3/week at 30 minutes

This is what I had come up with going through the TDEE.
    For some reason I find it hard to believe that I will be able to eat that much and keep my weight at 155 pounds. I will never know unless I actually get there.

I suggest working with it. See what you come up with. Would love to here if it works for you.

Judi
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That describes my vision of the maintenance future. I started at 420 pounds and by following my program's 5 pre-op rules (1500 calories/day, 100g protein, 64 ounces of water, move and log), I was very successful prior to surgery. I expected to continue to lose during the 6-9 months past surgery to hit my goal weight of 240.

Looking into the future (via the scooby calculator), I saw that at 240 pounds, I would be well over 2000 calories to maintain. This future looked very sustainable, considering that I was able to maintain the 1500 calorie regimen for 6 months straight without the restrictive help of the sleeve. What that tells me is that I may get lower than the 240.

Either way, it feels sustainable, and that makes me hopeful.

I encourage others to play around with their 'future' selves to get a picture of what input may look like when they get there. It was eye opening to me!

Rob
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    RNY..1 year out and I currently eat about 1300 calories a day and I still average a 2 pound loss a week. I find the calculators, in conjunction with my fitbit, are very accurate. I expect to be able to eat around 1800 without exercise when I reach my goal weight.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes once we get to the maintenance phase we will be able to eat a bit more :D than we do now that we are trying to lose it. It wasnt until I joined MFP and I read thru others all about BMR/TDEE and I'm so glad I did. It has totally changed the way I see food and calories.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    After my 2 year and 5 month post op surgeon/dietitian visit yesterday, and a 6 pound gain during my first year of maintenance, I left with new information that I guess I pretty much already knew. My gain occurred while eating between 1300-1500 calories a day with light exercise. Guidelines I was told to follow are never to go over 1300 calories, even with a vigorous exercise day and never to go below 800. Went back over supplements and labs, added some things, reduced some things. Left with a great game plan. Maintenance is hard. I was told that a 5 pound weight fluctuation is not uncommon during maintenance, but to be diligent about everything. (RNY 9/27/12)