Fall '15 babies

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Morning all, These bills sounds terrible. We are lucky to not have that here and our taxes cover all medical care.

All ok here, think can feel baby moving more now but still a bit unsure. Im trying to buy some maternity clothes but finding that maternity stuff looks too big and normal a bit tight!

Have a good day.
  • @helenmelon29 i agree completely! We don't have medical bills like that where I am either. (Canada)

I'm still in normal clothes, but I can just feel my body turning into that awkward "is she getting fat or is she pregnant?" stage. Yay, can't wait.... lol

I get to hear the results of my dating ultrasound tomorrow! I'm really excited to hear how far along I really am.
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    @helenmelon29 I've decided to just give up and go into maternity clothes. I have a few pairs of pants that still fit ok, but I'm finding the maternity ones with the full panel turn the "chubby" belly into a bump! I have a 'b' belly, so that upper pudge just looks awkward now, with the maternity it smooths out. Wearing maternity pants yesterday I had my first person (our preschool teacher) ask if we were expecting! Guess I'll just dress the bump from now on!

@KristenE83 my anatomy scan was just before I turned to 18 weeks... i didn't complain either! I was glad to have it ahead. I suspect the time will drag now, until we see him again, but I was eager for the reassurance!

I go today for a regular apt. I assume it's the results of our anatomy scan, and the usual heartbeat check and urine test... i will likely have my 2 yr old with me, so we shall see how that goes!
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    @poke987 Thats funny.... so maybe they did it at 17 weeks on purpose. Who knows. I will definitely be reassured to see them. I kind of feel uneasy and probably will until I see them again. Good luck with your appointment!

So when I got pregnant with my son I was like 40 lbs heavier than I am now. So for the first 5 months I just appeared to be fatter and fatter lol I could not wait to just look pregnant lol The beauty of twins though is that now I look pregnant.... at 15 weeks! I have an actual baby belly and fit into maternity clothes. Aside from the whole "having 2 babies thing" it's actually been kind of nice to at least look pregnant! :smile:
  • @KristenE83 that's great you're feeling good looking pregnant! :) and congrats on having TWO on the way! :)

I also had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks with the first baby. Turns out they couldn't get some pics they wanted and I ended up going again at 22 weeks.

@poke987 lol, the "B" stomach. I totally get it. As soon as we've announced I will be making the switch to maternity jeans for that exact reason.
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    @poke87 and @justanothersuzanne I totally have a b belly too!!! yay, maternity pants...
    hi everyone :) Due Sept 23rd with my second... I have a 20 month old. Our ultrasound is Friday :) I can't wait!
  • poke987
    Well, after 4 pregnancies this is a first... i left my OB office without being seen. Ugh. My apt was for 1120, they called yesterday and asked if I could come at 130 as she was going to be needed in the OR. Ok, should be fine.... then I arrive and sit and wait. And wait. After an hr I brought it to the receptionists attention. Um. Still waiting. And preschool pick up was fast approaching. Apparently she got stuck in the OR. Which is fine, but it would have been nice not to sit so long, or have them let me know! I opted to leave and reschedule for next week, didn't want to have a rushed appointment... she wasn't even in the building yet, and I had to pick up kiddos. So. Instead of an early 20 week at 19w5 I'll have it late at 21 weeks! Oh well. Waste of time and gas, but like I said. It's the first time ever that anything like this has happened.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Poke, that's ridiculous! Did the office staff even apologize to you?

If you didn't need an ultrasound or any special consultation, I'd think that all the normal OB-visit functions could have been handled by a nurse. With the exception of the anatomy scan I had at 18 weeks, my last two appointments have just been weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup, listen to the heartbeat with the doppler, done.

....except at my last appointment on Monday, I had questions for the doctor to make sure he'd support me in having a natural, drug-free birth, and we got into a tiff about the epidural. At our hospital, you have to pre-register with the anesthesiologists if you want the option of getting an epidural, and I wanted to know if I had to do that if I had no intention of getting an epidural. It turns out that no, I don't have to register, and if there was an emergency and I needed a c-section they'd still do whatever anesthesia is necessary whether I'd registered or not, which is the answer I'd wanted. But the doctor was resistant to the idea that I could decide in advance that I don't want an epidural. He said he'd seen too many women who swear they don't want one, and then they get to the hospital and they can't handle the pain. I explained that I've done this before -- with back labor, even! -- and I know what I'm getting myself into with a drug-free birth. "You've done this once," he said, "I've done this 5,000 times," and I'm thinking to myself NO YOU HAVEN'T. You have WITNESSED 5,000 births, you've never actually FELT contractions or transition or the ring of fire.
  • How frustrating poke! :( Summer has a point about the nurses... every time I go I pee on a stick, weigh myself, blood pressure, doppler, done.

That's also frustrating with the doctor who has "been through" 5000 births. I've read 5000 novels. Doesn't mean I know how to write one. Just saying. Call me sexist if you want, but I chose a midwife practice that only has female midwives precisely because I want someone who has personally been there before help me through labour and delivery.

Anyway, I have some good news! I had originally thought my due date was November 8th, but it turns out that baby is measuring more like October 23! That means I am bumped up from 12w4d to 14w4d! !
  • poke987
    @JustAnotherGirlSuzanne that's exciting! I had hoped maybe that would happen to me, my period in Nov was late, I took a test and it was negative then I had a fairly light perdiod. Late again in Dec and positive stick. So, in the back of my mind I wondered if maybe we conceived in Nov afterall. I went into that first ultrasound thinking there was a chance we could skip... No such luck! Looks like it was Dec after all!

@Summer8it the receptionist was very apologetic, and offered to see if one of the midwives from the practice could see me, but I had to pick up my son... and didn't want a "rushed" feeling to the appointment. It's the first time in a zillion appointments that it's ever happened. So I'm being forgiving.

And, I've never heard of such a thing as preregistering for an epidural. So, if you don't, getting one isn't an option?! In That case, It's a good way to ensure a natural birth I suppose. Takes the option right off the table!! Garbage I say. Do what you want, and know that in the moment the hospital staff will be liable to care for you in whatever way you need. PreRegistering or not! Geeze.
  • poke987
    14.2 lbs gain at the 20 week mark. Feeling ok with that, of course I wish it were less, but I'm alright as long as I don't shoot up again! Going out to lunch with a friend today, and have already planned a splurge, so hopefully I don't see a big spike!

I have just over a week until my race I'm worried about calories in/calories out once i'm not training. I'll have to cut back the snacks for sure! Either that, or keep up the miles!

Laying in bed last night baby was really moving (its really just been in the last week that i can feel him whem im quietly paying attention) i laid my hand on my belly and sure enough i could feel it from the outside too. Quickly grabbed hubby's hand, and he felt 3 or 4 big squirms/rolls/kicks! That was pretty exciting!

I've decided that at 20 weeks I'm going into all maternity clothes. I bought stuff in my new size, so I'd better wear it! Plus, it smooths out my lumps and bumps and makes it more obvious! My grandma got me a gift card to motherhood maternity so I'm going in to browse today, and hopefully get myself something. Then I need to stop spending! Atleast until the weather changes. We are in a weird cooler than average spring pattern. I shouldn't buy any more jeans and long sleeves when the bulk of the pregnancy will be in the hot summer months!
  • summer8it
    I live in Florida, so I've already had a few weeks of the fun of being pregnant in hot summer weather. At least our pool is now warm enough to swim in!

Today I get to have my first-ever prenatal massage. A good friend of mine, who is an excellent massage therapist, just completed a training course in prenatal massage and wants to test out her skills on me. I am happy to oblige. She came over yesterday and showed my husband a few things he can do for me. One of the most interesting things was to position me on my knees, with my upper body supported by a big yoga ball, as a good position to rub the lower back. That felt VERY good.
  • SuperSaiyanGoddess86
    SuperSaiyanGoddess86 Posts: 84 Member
    RosieRaz wrote: »
    summer8it wrote: »
    ladyjaye25 wrote: »
    Hi ladies i am new to this group. I am 11 weeks and 3 days due 11/11/15. I was wanting to know whats the earliest you girls found out your baby's gender.

My baby's gender has been on record since 12 weeks or so, because I did the Maternal T21 blood test, which identifies gender and certain chromosomal abnormalities like Downs Syndrome. I did it because I am 40 and at higher risk for chromosome problems, and I asked not to be told whether it's a boy or girl! The test wound up costing me over $1000, though, even with my "platinum" health insurance.

Summer - Are you effing kidding me? I just took that same test on Wednesday and it better not cost $1000! I have pretty good insurance too, but damn! I guess we'll find out when the bill comes in.

Ladyjaye - I found out the gender of this baby at 13 weeks. My last doctor made me wait until 20w to tell the gender. My husband's cousin found out all depends.

Thanks you guys I am 12 weeks and 4 days and I just really really want to know. Since I am going to be a single mom. I want to start buying stuff early while I have the money and energy. I also have 3 other kiddos.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    That's interesting about the epidural. Weird that they would want a waiver before hand, but then again, there is a waiver to get your tubes tied too. I asked about getting my tubes tied during the C-section and he said that that it literally takes less than a second. The waiver has to be completed few months before the surgery. He said this was because the insurance company could argue that the patient didn't have enough time to change their mind. I guess that could be the case, but I'm pretty sure that I'm good with two and I'm getting too old to go through this again!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    I'm so excited to feel baby kicking. Yesterday I could feel something but I wasn't 100% it was baby. Enjoy your clothes shopping, poke! Maternity shopping is my favourite because instead of constantly trying to hide my belly, I get to show it off! :) lol

Enjoy your massage, summer! I've never had one before but I've heard they ate amazing.

I don't think I have to preregister for an epidural where I am, but you do have to wait a while for them to get to your room. I'm planning on having another this time around. It was a lifesaver last time. (I started hyperventilating )
  • helenmelon29
    Morning all, sorry not been around this last week.

We dont have to register for any birth plans (unless schedule C section). I had epidural last time but coz I had a c section. Planning natural this time but time will tell! I dont think I know anyone here that has had an epidural for a natural birth, dont think its that common - you can have one though if you wanted (at my hosptal anyways).

I want to book a prenatal back/ shoulder massage soon, sounds fab.

I have my scan tomorrow, will be 21 weeks so hoping all ok.

Poke - I often have to wait an hour or so to see the midwife (did last pregnancy too), it winds me up! I always try to book a 9am appointment so less waiting but still seem to have to wait, god knows what they are doing!

I havent weighed myself for a month as away from home so will weigh in soon. I weighed myself at my mums and was happy but I think her scales are about 7lb lighter!! She likes them! lol, but not sure what my gainis as originally wieghed on my scales.

We have having the kitchen/Utility/toilet painted at the weekend so sorting paint for that and also sorting the spare attic bedroom for our 2.5 year old as he will move up to a 'big boy room', hoping he will settle up there, it will be easier to have baby next door to us though rather than running up and down the stairs all night. Anyone else having to swap rooms around?

Helen
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Wow, that's awful you have to wait so long for a midwife appointment. My midwives are really good for being on time. It's the ultrasound clinic that takes forever. I always wonder why they can't just schedule us all in an hour later.

I have to do some room swapping too. We aren't in too much of a rush since we like to keep baby in our room for the first couple months (basically until my stitches are healed). The room my daughter is moving into is a medium shade of pink and the trim is barney purple. Needless to say, its a bit much and is quite hideous. Can't wait to paint it. Lol

I hope your scan goes well Helen! Enjoy seeing your little one! :)
  • helenmelon29
    We kept Isaac in our room for about 8 weeks. Then moved him to the room next door as he woke us shuffling about all night long and we woke him too.

We want to get Isaac moved and sorted well before baby born as then he doesnt think he is being moved for the baby because he already asked if the baby would have his room and bed. Think he will move ok though esp if we make a fuss of it.

Thanks, will let you know how it goes.

Helen

• summer8it
    My son gets to stay in his own room, but we're doing some swapping around on a grand scale... we bought an extra house! The house across the street from us came up for sale, and we closed on it today. We're going to use it as a rental property, for short-term vacation rentals, but we'll also be able to use it some of the time as a guest house for visiting family. The baby will be taking over what is currently our guest room.

I'm very glad we don't have to move our son. After 12 years of being an only child, getting a sibling is a big enough change -- it will be good that he can keep his room and the ground floor game room as his sanctuaries.
  • poke987
    We swapped all the kids as we put back the house after the fire. Baby will be with us, leaving the guest room as such for now. Will transition 5 yr old into there at some later date, and new baby and 2.5 yr old will share at that point. Older 2 kids got moved to basement level, now that they are old enough to be 2 floors away! That's enough swaps for now. Everybody is settled and I don't want to disrupt again for a while if I can help it!

I have my half marathon this coming weekend. This week suddenly running has gotten hard. I'm glad it's now and not any later... suddenly I'm feeling pregnant! Not looking forward to getting on the scale friday. I feel a gain this week for sure!!

Had follow up with my dermatologist yesterday. I'm better, the rash part anyhow. The itches continue but lumps and bumps and lesions are less and less. She basically said it was my cross to bear, and to just keep treatment of symptoms and hang in there!