Just started. deadlift troubles.

Options
Anyone else have trouble perfecting the deadlift? I've only done it twice but its killing my back. When i went to do the excersise last night it hurt my back way too much. I guess maybe I should lower the weight I'm using until I perfect the form. Any suggestions on getting it right?

Replies

• terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You got it. Form is #1 over lifting too much. No need to hurt.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    yes, lower the weight. Lower lower lower, then practice your form. Form is king.

Watch a ton of tutorial videos and read as much as you can - better yet, get a PT to show you how to correctly do them. Film yourself doing them and assess where your issues are. Its a big lift, you have to learn the form- please be careful
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that you should lower the weight until you perfect your form. However, another thing to focus on early on is making sure the bar is high enough. Deadlifts are supposed to be done with the bar raised as much as it would be with 45 pound plates on it (about mid-shin for me). If the bar is too low, then it puts extra pressure on your lower back and it is harder to perfect your form since you have to reach down further to get in the starting position. If you can't deadlift 135 pounds yet, then I would recommend resting the bar on something. I have found that using 2 step risers does the trick for me.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    For height, another option is to stack plates. I still do this for pendlay rows because I can't row 135 yet. I usually use a 45 plate on each side and one more plate on top of that to get a better height when I need to stack and it would work for deadlift too. Just depends on the plates as to what spot will be best for the ones you're using to rest on since it will need to be on them each rep.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Get someone to help you/ show you. I did and very glad. I've not had any issues with my back. It's probably an easy fix xxxx
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you have to use lower weights like I do - one way to get over having them start out too low is to lower them to the step up supports. That way I can get it to be the height that I need it to be without an issue
  • AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I've been watching you tube videos. Today I lowered the weight and used a step so I didnt have to go down to the floor. Im determined to nail it! Ii think I'm still going into to much of a squat like position rather that tipping forward at the hips. Practice practice practice!
  • LilithNoor
    Options
    I've been having this problem as well as I'm using small preloaded barbells. Will have to track down some step risers to prop things up.
  • killakal81
    killakal81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please, be careful and mindful while deadlifting. Twice in the last 5 years I've injured my back while doing this exercise and then been out of commission (and in pain!) for weeks at a time. Grab the bar like you're angry at it and keep your core tight and engaged while performing this movement. I don't go for PR's in the DL anymore...
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Along with having the bar at the right height, Killakal is right: keep your core super tight. I used to get a lot of lower back pain doing deadlifts, and it REALLY helps to keep your head at the right angle and to breathe out really forcefully while lifting in order to remember to engage your core. Squeeze those abs in!

Also, Jason Seib from Everyday Paleo just posted a video about common deadlift mistakes. I haven't watched it yet, but he's usually pretty well informed about everything, so keep it in mind, maybe. Here's the link http://youtu.be/u7ItobP2TuY
  • OhLaLifting
    Options
    This is so confusing. The book says to drag the bar up your shins, but this video says the opposite. Seems that some PTs see the deadlift as a combination squat/hinge exercise and others think it should just target your back. Sigh...
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I prefer watching Alan Thrall. He is amusing and gave some good tips though there are indeed a few variances of opinion on some technical points. I tend to keep mine close to the shin, which causes bruises almost every time. A few posts discussing the scrapes and what not caused by the lift would make one believe that it's not uncommon to keep it close to the shins at least.

From what I've seen discussed, it's supposed to work a couple of things. I know when I reached fail, though, during Stronglifts, it was oddly enough my thighs that gave the signal to quit. It works the back yes but quite a few aspects are involved. Glad it hasn't bothered my back since I do technically have arthritis in my lower back.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Try not to over think it. If you scrape your shins, you scrape them. If you don't, you don't. We aren't all made the same. Think core, think power, get your hips way back. Keep it simple
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    Try not to over think it. If you scrape your shins, you scrape them. If you don't, you don't. We aren't all made the same. Think core, think power, get your hips way back. Keep it simple

^^ This :smile: