Lowish carb chili

Ummm deliciousness. I love chili, but all the store bought chili's, even the bean-less sort, are carbed up with stuff.

So I made home-made chili, the macros aren't bad:

1 cup serving size (240 grams)

391 calories
27g fat
25g protein
11g carbs
5g fiber

Most of the carbs are from the crushed tomatoes and (minimal) tomato paste I used, plus the spices.

It's pretty awesome, made a half-batch last week and ate it with hot dogs (boar's head, no carbs) and shredded cheddar.

Tinkered with the recipe a bit and made a full batch this week... dinner is chili, cheddar and sour cream. Ummmmmm....

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Ya, using higher fat meat and getting rid of onion can really help with the net carbs per serving.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Ummm deliciousness. I love chili, but all the store bought chili's, even the bean-less sort, are carbed up with stuff.

So I made home-made chili, the macros aren't bad:

1 cup serving size (240 grams)

391 calories
    27g fat
    25g protein
    11g carbs
    5g fiber

Most of the carbs are from the crushed tomatoes and (minimal) tomato paste I used, plus the spices.

It's pretty awesome, made a half-batch last week and ate it with hot dogs (boar's head, no carbs) and shredded cheddar.

Tinkered with the recipe a bit and made a full batch this week... dinner is chili, cheddar and sour cream. Ummmmmm....

Did I miss something Nic? Where is the recipe? I'm drooling at the thought of lo-carb chili... (LOL!)

Dan the Man from Michigan

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    ^^^ what Dan said.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    I also have a low carb chili that has no tomatoes or other nightshades since I am allergic. Uses a lot of meat, a bit of onion and a tiny amount of black beans with cream and sour creaem and cheese.

Id have to go dig out the recipe but you can always add some tomatoes or paste or whatever you want if you dont have the Nightshade allergies I do.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    40.00 ounce, Beef - Ground, 80% lean meat / 20% fat, raw (hamburger)
    1.00 container (3 3/10 cups ea.), Crushed Tomatoes
    0.50 tsp, Spices - Pepper, red or cayenne
    1.00 tbsp(s), Granulated California Garlic
    3.00 tablespoon, Diced Jalapeno Peppers (I use the jarred kind)
    3.00 tbsp, Spices - Chili powder
    1.50 tbsp(s), Ground Cumin
    1.00 tsp, Table salt
    1.50 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black
    1.00 tbsp, Onions - Dehydrated flakes
    1.00 tsp, leaves, Spices - Oregano, dried
    450.00 ml(s), Water - Municipal
    6.00 Tbsp, Organic Tomato Paste

Super easy. I brown the ground beef in a large frying pan while I combine the other ingredients in the crock-pot. When the meat is cooked, I dump it into the crockpot, without straining off any of the fat. I thin let it cook on low at least 4 hrs.

It's a very hearty, meaty chili for sure. Even my kids like it. I'd say mild-medium spicy. Very easy to amp that up. Add another tbsp jalepeno and another tsp of cayenne, up the black pepper. Boom!

When shopping for the ingredients, I picked the crushed tomatoes with a 4 carb/2 fiber ratio on the label, no added sugars and similar for the tomato paste.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    <snip>

It's a very hearty, meaty chili for sure. Even my kids like it. I'd say mild-medium spicy. Very easy to amp that up. Add another tbsp jalepeno and another tsp of cayenne, up the black pepper. Boom!

When shopping for the ingredients, I picked the crushed tomatoes with a 4 carb/2 fiber ratio on the label, no added sugars and similar for the tomato paste.

Thanks Nic, I'll have to try it. It sounds yummy!

Dan the Man from Michigan