What are your thoughts about this....

Options

Replies

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    A very brave person to start a thread like that in the general forums! I have to admit, I wondered if something like that was possible before I seriously looked into surgery. I don't think people understand that it's not about losing weight, it's about having a tool to keep the weight off.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Someone wrote this in the comments on that thread...

"There is a change to metabolic chemistry after surgery that is not fully understood. Ghrelin is increased for instance. My blood sugar normalized almost immediately. You would not get these effects."

I have recently tried to mimic the bariactric diet and it is very tough. I didn't eat carbs for five days.. except what is gained through vegetables. I do not suffer from diabetes, but with that restriction my blood sugar has dropped a couple times due to the lack of sugar and carbs. I realize that your body does need all it's macro nutrients to operate. Some bodies do not operate correctly as God has given them, thus the need for surgery.
    The statement above regarding the Ghrelin hormone changes our body chemistry. Science has shown immediate results in diabetics and others by making small alterations.

Pretty cool really....

Judi
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I've seen this thread before. It's a logical question, but as all of us who had WLS know, the surgery changes so many more things than just the size of the stomach. What we do is a lifestyle change and one that I can not imagin anyone would be able to maintain without the surgery.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The power of the brain is very powerful and can do some amazing things, in medicine studies for example. People that participate don't all get the same pill, but due to placebo effect some of the people who didn't get the medicine being tested had the same reactions as people who did get the new drug.
    So yes making yourself believe that you have had WLS will have results like the rest of us, but can you make yourself believe it that well? I don't believe you can. Just IMHO

Randy
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There are also some interesting studies that WLS changes the gut microbiome. The statement that they don't understand WHY it works so well is on point. There may come a time when they can "bottle" the effect, but, to-date, surgery is still the only evidence-based treatment for obesity.

One minor point - ghrelin production is decreased not increased (which makes sense because it is a "hunger" hormone).
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I went through this same thought process prior to surgery and discussed it with my surgeon. He told me that the hormonal changes were the answer. Like April sez, they have measured a bunch of hormonal changes that come with the surgery, and they are not exactly sure which of them dominates and creates the 'honeymoon period', but it is real and it will go away as the wonderful human body creates new pathways for the hormones.

My surgeon told me that the eating pattern post-surgery would be essentially impossible to maintain without the surgery. I believe him. My adjustment to 1500 calories per day pre-surgery went well, but I was clearly reaching the end of my high-motivation period by the time of my surgery. Thinking about the potential for doing that at a 1000 calorie or lower level for months on end, I fully believe it would not have been successful.

Additionally, the post -surgery restriction will certainly help me the next few years as motivation waxes and wanes and I believe that this is where the tool will again be helpful.

Rob
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think if it was doable, and we could have done it, we would have.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oops, reduced ghrelin. Thanks for the catch.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My doctor had me do a 1000 calorie/day diet for a month to test if I can lose weight because I was having so little results on a regular reduced calorie diet. Yes, I lost 14 lbs in a month, but I was starving hungry the whole time and it was making me feel a bit crazy. No way in hell I could have sustained that low cal long term enough to lose over 100 lbs...
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For me, pre-WLS, my most successful weight loss attempt I simply cut everything in half. Didn't exercise, didn't change what I ate, just ate less of it. I was the only person I knew that could eat 1/2 a Milano cookie and walk away from the other half! I lost 60 pounds, (about 3/4 of what I needed to lose). For about 5 minutes. Then life happened, stress happened, I "forgot" my new habits and I gained it all back with interest just like every other "diet".

Today I'm in maintenance. I eat pretty much what I like within reason most of the time, but if I forget my good habits there are repercussions ranging from me being slightly uncomfortable to screaming "Kill me NOW"! They say sleeves don't "dump". Mine does. 1/2 piece of cheesecake did me in yesterday. First time in a long time that's happened and it will not be happening again any time soon! So. Much. Pain. The "lessons" are fewer and farther apart these days, but apparently I still need a kick in the head occasionally! Pre-sleeve, I'd have continued down the path of cheesecake and eventually undone my good work. Instead, I have a lesson and renewed focus to do what I'm supposed to do. I'd gained a couple of pounds over the last few weeks. It'll be off by this weekend or next. I guess my point is, if I could have maintained good habits without the help of the sleeve I would have!