Ladies: effect of fat loss on cycle duration?

Options
zoom2
zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
I recall from years ago that when I lost 60#s that it had a pretty noticeable effect on the length of my cycles, which have always been a little on the shorter side (25-26 days in my 20s and early 30s). For the last 5-6 years I've had stupidly short cycles of ~23 days...sometimes as short as 21 (and then I have a light period for 10 days--had thermal ablation over a decade ago because I would hemorrhage so badly with each period, thanks to endometriosis--so some months I'm literally on my period half the time). At 42 I'm assuming that I'm pretty solidly into peri-menopause and will probably reach "the change" in the next 5 years or so.

Today is day 25 and I'm pretty geeked that I've yet to start my period, though my boobs are pretty sore and I'm retaining a lot of water, so I suspect things will start either today or tomorrow. For a while my OB/gyn had me on 200mg of progesterone for days 16-25 to treat estrogen-dominance, but it had no effect. I never did get to day 25, even. Losing fat (I've dropped 12#s since 1/1) from my body apparently reduces my relative estrogen levels better than taking progesterone to achieve that end.

Anyone else with similar results after dropping even 5-10% of their body weight?

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hasn't affected my actual cycles (pretty much 28 days down to the hour), but I do notice that in the months where I have more weight loss my flow is heavier. I remember reading somewhere about the hormones that are stored in adipose tissue being released when weight loss occurs. I want to say that estrogen was the main hormone, but I'd have to go back and find the supporting articles. I'm sure a Google search would bring a bevy of hits on the subject.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Estrogen is the one I've always heard, which would explain why my estrogen-dominant self would notice such a positive effect on my cycles as my relative level of estrogen is decreased. Maybe that makes sense that less estrogen in your system would lead to heavier flow -- taking estrogen-based BCPs or other hormonal contraceptives (like nuvaring) generally makes for lighter periods. More estrogen = less uterine lining...less estrogen = more...?
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cycle length because mine have almost never been regular except when I've taken BC but when I'm over 250 I bleed constantly for the most part, which is just terribly inconvenient and not to mention gross and annoying. Now that I've dipped below 250 it has ceased and I have yet to see what my cycles are gonna be like now. I'm very happy about it!
  • zoom2
    Options
    Now that I've dipped below 250 it has ceased and I have yet to see what my cycles are gonna be like now. I'm very happy about it!

Keep us posted! I hope you see things regulate, too. My bleeding for even *just* 10 days is a major PITA, so I feel for you.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Yay, 26 days! Last month was 24, the month before that 22. At this rate I might see 28 for this next cycle!!
  • hippygirl325
    Options
    That's wonderful! I will put in an update about it as things progress.
  • zoom2
    Options
    So...my 26 day cycle ended with a relatively light and short period. I think I only bled for maybe 5-6 days, instead of my typical 8. I didn't think much of it. But now I've been spotting for the past few days, I think maybe this is related to ovulation (at least it coincides perfectly with the little cycle app I track with), but I'm suspicious that it's bonkers hormones. Between the weight loss (averaging about a pound/week for the past month+, so nothing extreme) and perimenopause (I'm 42), I think my estrogen levels are probably pretty wonky.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Zoom - Are you a heavy exerciser? I ask only because I notice that doing very heavy exercise like HIIT training (or any exercise that takes me into the anaerobic zone, really) often makes me start spotting and cramping a little bit. I read somewhere that the extreme exercise and anaerobic load can cause a degree of ischaemia in the uterus (which is what causes that notorious period pain), and start the process of shedding (the spotting/period itself). This is a summary, of course, but actually explains a lot in my particular situation.

For a little background, I also have endometriosis but it is treated by taking an OCP continuously so I don't have a monthly bleed or much noticeable hormonal swing and I can usually control when I have a bleed. I have done this for nearly 20 years, and it is a treatment that works for me.

Previous posters have talked about stored oestrogen in the fat being released as we lose those fat cells, and I believe there is definitely something in this too!

I hope things eventually even out for you (hormone-wise!). They did for me!
  • zoom2
    Options
    I'm an avid runner and cyclist, though this is my off season. I'm logging 10-12 miles running and 45-60/week on the bike. Low intensity. I really don't suspect the workouts, since they're about half the miles I put down in the Summer and far less effort.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Coming back to this to add that I also have stage 2 endo (was diagnosed when I had my tubal ~ age 30, but I had ALL of the textbook symptoms from my very first period at age 12). I imagine fluctuations in estrogen could also mess with the endo, itself. I'm definitely estrogen-dominant. A couple of years ago my doc had me on 200mg of Progesterone on days 16-25 to try to normalize the length of my cycles, but it had little-to-no effect.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @zoom2 I posted this in another thread somewhere, but our female hormone system is not isolated from our whole hormone system. I was estrogen dominant and supplemented with progesterone, and it did nothing, because my adrenals kept stealing the progesterone (considered by the body one of the least essential hormones, and therefore at the top of the list for kidnapping by the other needs of the body) and converting it to whatever it needed - cortisol and adrenaline - oh, and thyroid!, presumably... Until all of the issues are addressed equally, treatment of a single issue won't help. That is kind of like bailing from one edge of the boat, only. Whereas if all points of access on the ship were bailing excess water, as long as there wasn't a major leak, the boat would fully right itself readily enough... Addressing leaks, then weak points, all across the board is necessary, rather than spot treatment...
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I noticed this month that I had virtually no cramps. No super heavy flow like normal either.
    I can totally deal if it stays this way.
  • zoom2
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @zoom2 I posted this in another thread somewhere, but our female hormone system is not isolated from our whole hormone system. I was estrogen dominant and supplemented with progesterone, and it did nothing, because my adrenals kept stealing the progesterone (considered by the body one of the least essential hormones, and therefore at the top of the list for kidnapping by the other needs of the body) and converting it to whatever it needed - cortisol and adrenaline - oh, and thyroid!, presumably... Until all of the issues are addressed equally, treatment of a single issue won't help. That is kind of like bailing from one edge of the boat, only. Whereas if all points of access on the ship were bailing excess water, as long as there wasn't a major leak, the boat would fully right itself readily enough... Addressing leaks, then weak points, all across the board is necessary, rather than spot treatment...

I suppose that would require some sort of full hormone panel, huh? I have had my thyroid checked a couple of times in the past decade and that all checks out OK, so I'm guessing something else is goofy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    There is a misnomer that all thyroid problems show up in testing. Most doctors don't run all the tests they need for a comprehensive look, and even if they do, you can be "in range" and still deficient for YOU. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com is so enlightening! @Dragonwolf here shared it with me.

I think it would just take an endocrinologist to look at the big picture, but yes, comprehensive testing would probably be involved. Don't be like me and wait more than ten years for everything to level out along the way. If I hadn't started losing weight, I would never have made it this far!

For me, it was multiple things, even though I never had the whole system tested at that time. Honestly, looking back, it was likely my PCOS that kicked into gear and wrecked the whole system. Regardless, the whole system was wrecked...and it didn't show in my actual thyroid tests for over 6 years...maybe closer to 10 years...

Within 6 months of treating the actual PCOS, my quality of life has improved in ways I've never imagined... So many factors...
  • hippygirl325
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Update: After it last stopped around 2/7 or so, I am just now seeing signs of it again, which would be normal for a cycle. :D I have also lost 16 more lbs since then. :)
  • zoom2
    Options
    Update: After it last stopped around 2/7 or so, I am just now seeing signs of it again, which would be normal for a cycle. :D I have also lost 16 more lbs since then. :)

NICE! And that is amazing progress. Have you had to buy a new wardrobe, yet?

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of you guys. I've been bleeding for the last 2 weeks straight and I'm on depo! Before this I had hardly any bleeding...I guess the depo doesn't like me losing weight. Grrrr.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Losing weight can affect your cycle no matter what. I'm sorry you're bleeding so much/long, though... Once your body balances out some, you should be better...
  • zoom2
    Options
    I am so jealous of you guys. I've been bleeding for the last 2 weeks straight and I'm on depo! Before this I had hardly any bleeding...I guess the depo doesn't like me losing weight. Grrrr.

I'm astounded that you're able to lose on Depo. Man, that was evil. I did ONE shot and never did another. While some women get really moody, it had the opposite effect on me -- I had NO moods. It really freaked my DH out. And I had HORRIBLE acne and easily gained 5-10#s in that 3 month span.

So I'm on day 7 of mid-cycle spotting, with my actual period predicted due in another 7 days...so I suspect it won't happen. Or will be way late. I'm sort of curious to see. I haven't yet logged my week of spotting into my app as an actual period, since I don't know if it is an actual period. If the real deal doesn't start within the next 2 weeks I probably will retroactively go tag that first day of spotting as day 1.

On the bright side, I'm OK with my cycle shifting, this time around. I looked ahead to see when my next couple cycles are predicted and right now the app is showing that I should be "on the rag" the entire time we're in FL for Spring Break -- yuck! So I'm way stoked about maybe not having to deal with that while we're spending days snorkeling and kayaking the Everglades!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    zoom2 wrote: »

I'm astounded that you're able to lose on Depo. Man, that was evil. I did ONE shot and never did another. While some women get really moody, it had the opposite effect on me -- I had NO moods. It really freaked my DH out. And I had HORRIBLE acne and easily gained 5-10#s in that 3 month span.

So I'm on day 7 of mid-cycle spotting, with my actual period predicted due in another 7 days...so I suspect it won't happen. Or will be way late. I'm sort of curious to see. I haven't yet logged my week of spotting into my app as an actual period, since I don't know if it is an actual period. If the real deal doesn't start within the next 2 weeks I probably will retroactively go tag that first day of spotting as day 1.

On the bright side, I'm OK with my cycle shifting, this time around. I looked ahead to see when my next couple cycles are predicted and right now the app is showing that I should be "on the rag" the entire time we're in FL for Spring Break -- yuck! So I'm way stoked about maybe not having to deal with that while we're spending days snorkeling and kayaking the Everglades!

I'm on shot #3. It makes my pms way worse, but my acne has actually gotten better! My first 2 shots I gained probably 15 pounds. I really like the shot, but admit that it makes weight loss way harder than it was before. I only get the increased appetite around my cycle though, so it's not the hell of always being starving that some women experience. I'm hoping that with weight loss I will also dry up.