Melt down and competing

Options
for which ever reason, this time around, I am freaking out. Can't focus on anything, having one bad workout after another, and can't visualize the finish line ( usually it calms me down). 3 weeks to competing in Atlanta in Spartan Hurricane. Any suggestions how to regain my composure?

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    How long have you been training? Might be time to take a week off.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How is your sleep lately? Are you in a calorie deficit and losing weight? How fast?

Honestly I think this is one of those things where it could be a number of different factors. It could be training or diet related and it could be something entirely separate from that.

How's life outside of training?
  • CoachFrenchie
    CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well life is hectic.... I am up at 4am, gym 5to 7 am, work all day as a grade 8 teacher, back at gym with coach from 4:30 to 6 pm, workput on ny weaknesses from 6 to 7 pm. Then eat, shower, and sleep 5 hours. Might look crazy, but I do get 2 full days of rest a week. And this is the schedule my sponsors have recommended so... I keep my weight stable, even though I am a strict vegan. But the melt downs!!! I could not do a clean today; so I threw the bar. This is so out of character!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The potential issue here is that my advice is probably likely to conflict with your coaches direction.

I would never have an athlete on that rigorous of a schedule and I wouldn't justify something like that possibly ever, but I could MAYBE see exception for someone training for a top tier competition like the Olympics or someone making a buttload of money for their athletic endeavors. For context and in full disclosure, I train a mix of general population clients and fitness enthusiasts who may begin competing but I do not train elite level competitive athletes. That context may be important.

As such, my advice would be voice your concerns with your coach and make it clear what you are feeling and see how he or she addresses it.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your in your head. Get out of your head. And ya...talk to your coach.

(ps: Good luck, too, in Atlanta!)
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    Well my coach is a 21 year old who sometimes puts his needs and goals ahead of mine. Since he is paid by my sponsors, well, you get the picture. And I am overthinking everything. i know that. But it has helped me so far.... And today was a better day. I relaxed a little... I think that having the list of the next 7 competition on my fridge is maybe not a good idea....:)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Unrelated but I did not realize that those obstacle course events were races. Are there medals or records or anything? Just curious.
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    Spartans are: not toigh mudder. I do the elite line up, which are recorded. And yes medals... They are crossfit events with endurance running in mountains. I do the 25 km and above :) 30 events. Love it!!!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Do you have to work out in the AM solo and again in the PM with your coach?
    Is it possible to cut some of it?
    I know you said you have sponsors which is why I'm asking. Just seems like waaaay too much. Especially since you've gotta deal with 8th graders.
    When do you have time for you? To sit and relax, read a book, knit, whatever? And grade papers...
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    Well not much time for me; i have to say this weekend I see things more clearly again. But I dont know what happened to me this past week. i could hardly deadlift, missed my cleans, and my squats were mediocre. Today I was back on top... Tomorrow is my day of rest. Sometimes the pressure to excel is a bit much. Thanks to all for advices and listening. I did not feel judged; which is important..:)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was your period coming/going?
    Or maybe every 6-8 weeks you need to take a few days easy as a mental break so you don't repeat last week. I get the having to be perfect thing. So maybe workouts without focus to help you clear your head or something?
  • CoachFrenchie
    Options
    You are right about clearing my head.... The days i dont workout i ibsessed about others becoming better than me! I need a break.... I think tgats the general consencus...:)