Tips for oils that are not coconut.

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I once made some homemade mayo with "Virgin Olive Oil", it was so nasty, I threw it out. I did the same with Coconut oil, I cooked some eggs in it... blectk! :p gag me with a spoon... threw them out too.

So go to the store and buy the right kind and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

I made Jimmy Moore's keto mayo with half coconut and hated it too - ruined my prawn cocktail! I don't mind coconut taste normally but gross in mayo.
    -

Re virgin olive oil mayo - imo, that's what mayo is supposed to taste like: all these processed mayos using rapeseed (canola in US???) oil have perverted our tastebuds! But I like olive oil - not everyone does :lol:

When I want to cook something that I don't want to taste of coconut I quite often use Coconut butter - doesn't taste of coconut oil at all.

Hope that helps!

Ick, not with virgin olive oil. The flavor's too strong and overpowers everything. (But then, I'm not like you and don't like olive oil that much. :smile: )

I do agree that rapeseed/canola is horrible. Soybean oil is, too. And the "olive oil!" mayos are insulting. They still use 90% canola or soybean oil.

I prefer to use light olive oil as a base and add something like walnut or avocado oil in about a 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 (1 part walnut/avocado to 3 or 4 parts olive) ratio. Gives a nice flavor to it, without making it overpowering.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I've used MCT oil as the base in mayo. Tasteless and comes out marvelously smooth.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    LouAna doesn't have a great rep on the MDA forum.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Well, I was going with what was available and not $10 a jar sigh....
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I use a quarter cup of coconut oil, to a half a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. I may put ground coffee in as well, as it's supposed to have a nice effect in the skin. I imagine it looks a fright in the shower though!

Oh thank you for this. I just mixed a tiny bit to try last night. I needed some luxury. Felt good.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

Yeah, I just happened to have some. I've used light olive oil and it was ok. I just recently realized how easy it is to make, so I haven't done much experimenting yet.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I once made some homemade mayo with "Virgin Olive Oil", it was so nasty, I threw it out. I did the same with Coconut oil, I cooked some eggs in it... blectk! :p gag me with a spoon... threw them out too.

I hope this helps,

I made Jimmy Moore's keto mayo with half coconut and hated it too - ruined my prawn cocktail! I don't mind coconut taste normally but gross in mayo.
    -

Re virgin olive oil mayo - imo, that's what mayo is supposed to taste like: all these processed mayos using rapeseed (canola in US???) oil have perverted our tastebuds! But I like olive oil - not everyone does :lol:

When I want to cook something that I don't want to taste of coconut I quite often use Coconut butter - doesn't taste of coconut oil at all.

Hope that helps!

You ask what's in American Mayo's... I went to a large store and read every single label of maybe a dozen brands and types and I could not find any that didn't use Soy bean oil (supposedly not good for you). The one exception was a mayo made from olive oil, but I didn't like the commercial version of that either.

I am going to try to make some mayo with coconut oil when I get some spare time AND find a good recipe (I think I have one bookmarked).

I hope this helps,

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I hope this helps,

-

Hope that helps!

You ask what's in American Mayo's... I went to a large store and read every single label of maybe a dozen brands and types and I could not find any that didn't use Soy bean oil (supposedly not good for you). The one exception was a mayo made from olive oil, but I didn't like the commercial version of that either.

I am going to try to make some mayo with coconut oil when I get some spare time AND find a good recipe (I think I have one bookmarked).

I hope this helps,

Fair warning, a high percentage of coconut oil will make the mayo solid in the fridge. I learned that the hard way (seems obvious, I know, but all bets are off when it comes to emulsifying fats).

Also, what olive oil mayo did you find? The only one I've ever seen is Hellmann's, which still uses mostly soybean oil.

Also, I hate that all store mayos add sugar. Seriously, you do not need sugar in mayo!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use a quarter cup of coconut oil, to a half a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. I may put ground coffee in as well, as it's supposed to have a nice effect in the skin. I imagine it looks a fright in the shower though!
    I often use my used coffee grounds as a body scrub. I either use them alone, or mixed with coconut oil, or sometimes just add them to my shower gel. Nothing...not even VERY expensive dead sea salt scrubs or other luxury scrubs...has ever made my skin feel as soft as coffee grounds. Btw, I'm not the crunchy granola type who refuses to buy man made products...I just gave this a try after a friend raved about it and found she was right.

One warning though: they are a mess to clean up...they get everywhere in the shower. Also...use a mesh filter or something in your drain. Coffee grounds very easily will clog a shower drain.

Also, coconut oil by itself also makes an excellent moisturizer for the skin, and a very gentle eye makeup remover...even for waterproof mascara, etc. So there are plenty of uses for the oil if you accidentally buy one you don't like.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

@IamUndrCnstruction no worries, there's no keto kops ;) check out vitacost.com, they have great prices and frequent deals on shipping
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Fair warning, a high percentage of coconut oil will make the mayo solid in the fridge. I learned that the hard way (seems obvious, I know, but all bets are off when it comes to emulsifying fats).

Also, what olive oil mayo did you find? The only one I've ever seen is Hellmann's, which still uses mostly soybean oil.

Also, I hate that all store mayos add sugar. Seriously, you do not need sugar in mayo!

I think you are mistaken Dragon. See this pic for Kraft Mayo (Calorie King):

6vhuwjgw92o8.png

And I think Hellman's is the same.

I hope this helps,

• fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    nsoss wrote: »
    Ghee (clarified butter) is a good substitute for coconut oit. For the best quality use grass-fed butter.

I've just started making Ghee. Looking forward to the day I can slather it on some biscuits!
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is a few days old, but I use red palm oil. My wife also doesn't like coconut and we read about red palm oil in a diet book for people with food sensitivities. Do your own research - it might be a good alternative for you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I hope this helps,

-

Hope that helps!

I hope this helps,

For those of us who were hooked on Miracle Whip for years/decades, the homemade mayo does need a little sweetening as an adjustment. I like the little sweet kick in my tuna salad. I don't know if I used too much salt in my "pinch" or what, but I didn't even have room for my preferred relish when I made tuna salad because it was so salty already. The tiniest sprinkle of Stevia, and I was good to go. I'm sure I will fine tune it as I go, but this first batch, not sold, in and of itself. Trying in deviled eggs next.