Thinking my goal into existence - Transition diet to maintenance

petr8888
petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
I am half way to my goal (9 of 18 lbs). With any luck a month away. So this may be a little premature but...

So I presently have a roughly 600 calorie deficiency. Once transition to maintenance I am guessing I will need to add back 500-600 calories. Thoughts?

Beyond this - how to add. Presumably a small increase in carbs, second protein and largest increase in fats. Thoughts?

Anybody know of any calculators or articles that could help?
Peter

Replies

• Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Have you used the keto calculator?
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • petr8888
    Thanks. I just looked at that. Looks like it could be any combination. Final conbination may depend of personal biology.
  • NasherBasher
    NasherBasher Posts: 9 Member
    If you currently have a 600 calories deficit to lose weight the I do not think that you place the 600 calories back in to maintain your weight, as that would lead you to put on weight again.

You would have to slowly increase your calories until you reach a intake, where you neither lose or gain weight.

So that may be adding 400 calories more or less, to your daily intake but I think the key thing is slowly. Once you have reached your goal, then recalculate your calories and macros and then aim to reach them.

• petr8888
    NasherBasher thanks for your thoughts. So make it iterative. Good thought.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Also remember that weight measurements are "noisy." You can't make changes based on a single weigh in. As a former manufacturing engineer that makes things worse not better. You can weigh each day but make changes based on 5-7 day averages.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,751 Member
    I'd suggest reverse dieting out of your deficit. You can look it up online for more exactedness (yeah, it's not a word, wanna fight about it?) but the gist is that you add your calories back in slowly. If you are on a 600 cal deficit right now, when you're ready to reverse diet, you'd lessen that deficit to 500 cal for a week (basically adding 100 cal to your daily allowance for that week) and keep doing that slowly over the course of weeks until your weight stabilizes. The idea being that this lessens the water weight and etc that often come with jumping your cals too much and also that you may well be able to maintain at a higher number than you expect, but it lets you zero in on whatever that number(range) might be.
  • petr8888
    Thanks to all of you for your ideas!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Just jealous really...
  • petr8888
    Totaloblivia - keep going - you are worth it!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    petr8888 wrote: »
    Totaloblivia - keep going - you are worth it!
    :-)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I jumped right to my calculated maintenance calories. Yeah, I didn't worry about if it was the smartest thing. I had figured out (based on my rate of loss using changes in my trend-line and average calories) that I burned about 2,400 calories a day. I jumped right to there. I'm currently at 2,550 calories a day. I'm still losing weight, albeit slowly. It may be due to the increased thermic cost of the extra food. I'm not sure.

Anyway, finding the right amount to eat for maintenance is not always super straight-forward. Reverse dieting is probably a slightly easier way to find it.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    I would watch what you think is your deficit....at 9 pounds your burn rate will drop, and definitely by 18. I would do another BMR estimate and then plan calories and macros around that.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Bump calories ~6% at a time and monitor for a couple weeks. Leave carbs mostly the same if you want to keep keto, set protein based on LBM and activity level per usual, and make most adjustments via fat.
  • petr8888
    Kirkor - yes that makes sense. Pushing protein up risks gluco neogenesis. So has become clear that the lever is fat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    >Pushing protein up risks gluco neogenesis

And lately I've been reading here and there that GNG isn't as big an issue as we once thought...need to do some more research.