First time here

So I decided to start out low carb on 2/2 of this yr. To date I haven't had any potatoes, white rice or any rice ! Or pasta or bread or junk food or sweets. I've read about low carb and I must confess I tell ppl I'm low carb but after reading some articles on line and stuff here am I really low carb just because I gave those things up? I've been eating healthy my body feels great no more stomach aches which I would either wake up with or get home with at the end of the day oh ! And this might be a bit TMI but my digestion is a lot better. I decided the low carb for weight loss but read oatmeal can make weight loss slow but I LOVE oatmeal ! I even found an organic one with flax seeds in it ! And I could eat it all day !! So long story short....am I a low carber?

Replies

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Everyone has different definitions of low carb. If you like what you're eating, you feel good, and you're on the track you want to be...I personally feel like if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think that eliminating potatoes, other starchy stuff and wheat is a HUGE step in eating better, even if you're eating other things with carbs. It really all depends on your personal health and preferences.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Eliminating regular pasta, rice, white potatoes, white bread and sugary desserts is a huge deal. I would call that "watching your carb". You'll
    Know what works. And I find the more fat I eat, the less hungry I am. Love avocado and sour cream. My nails grow like crazy and lose weight. I still eat most my carbs in the form of romaine salads with a ton of meat. Lol
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Welcome Maggie! Congratulations on all the healthy steps that you have taken so far to improve your health. And Congratulations on the remarkable changes that you've seen already. Just listen to your body, I'm sure you will know if/when to make further changes.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Hi Maggie,

Low carb has many different incarnations. Check out the LCD Launch Pad on the group Home Page. It has a load of information and talks about low carb in all it's forms.

You are off to a great start! Good on you.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Good luck! I'm under 25 grams of carbs per day, so watch your labels and you should be fine. You will eventually lose cravings for anything starchy and craby
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Welcome to the group MaggieG2015!

Low carb is unique for each person, and your seem to be taking the right steps to figure out how it works best for you. There is a lot of really good information on this board, so keep reading and tweaking as you go. Just don't compare your journey to anyone else's.

I agree with Sajyana, go to the Launchpad and see where you fall in the spectrum. Like Itchpotog, I aim for Keto (keeping my carbs at 20 g or less a day), but believe any reduction in carbs is a good thing. For you in particular, you may have had some sensitivity to them if you've noticed such a big improvement in your digestion.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend for encouragement!