Can I ask a delicate question about - ahem - Number Two's? WARNING: Potentially TMI in this post...

Options
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the 5:2 diet, fits in perfectly with my lifestyle and I'm even beginning to look forward to FDs. However, I'm a bit concerned about what effect it's having on the - how can I put this? - bowel movement department. As someone who was previously VERY regular (and I mean, as soon as gravity kicks in each morning, yah know?) ever since being on 5:2 I'm lucky if a get a decent poop twice a week now. :blush: I realise that if I'm not eating much there's nothing much to dispose of, but on 'normal' days I would expect 'normal' activity IYSWIM. I'm not feeling constipated (yet) but I am wondering if a change in regularity is normal for this diet? I have a long commute to work each day so reluctant to start using laxatives, and I wouldn't want to rely on them even in the short term anyway.

What's been your experience - if you don't mind sharing that is?? :wink:

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    :blush: my experience is that fast days tend to really clean me out...It could have to do with the amount of fluids I consume (water, tea, coffee). I might get...bunged up...on none fast days because of the types of foods I'm eating. For me, I know that if I eat my All Bran cereal or a grapefruit I will have no problem in that department. I think that is why I look forward to my fast day because I feel all cleansed. Good question and nothing to be embarrassed about ;)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I was the same - get up and go..... every day....sometimes again later in the day

Since 5:2, I'm much less regular about the time of day and maybe 4-5x per week, but consistency is much better. I integrate 5g chia seeds into my daily diet. Like linseeds they are a bit slimy when soaked and help get things moving.

From what I have read, it is also very important to eat enough fats. Maybe review your daily diet and see if you are low on fats and if you are drinking enough. 3x per week is still considered normal. 2x does seem a bit low.

My mom drinks a glass of warm water in the morning and says that helps her alot.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Fats and fiber. Second the above. I supplement with soluble fiber for constipation, 10 g psyllium husk in sugarfree lemonade shake in morning and before each meal. Helps feeling fuller and the BM. Go easy at start and gradual dosing, or you might get more than you wished for ;)

I also eat a lot of fermented vegs in kimchi. I've just started taking resistant starch too, one of the anecdotal reports is satiation.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ha this is a problem for me too, I also work shifts and have a bashful bowel that only likes my own bathroom.
    I take psyllium daily and have started using chia seeds in recipes, I tend to have at least one egg on a FD but generally eat veggies too, also trying to re educate myself after 20years of low fat dieting and using fats again so hopefully that will help. I drink plenty and exercise but can really work at getting enough fibre :s
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Same here...I was as regular as rain, but I can go 2 days now sometimes. This is usually after a big "cleanse" at the end of a fast though. That is what drives the length of my fasts...waiting for the cleanse. It happens after hour 32 and usually before hour 42. I take probiotics and fiber gummies. I supplement to at least 35 grams of fiber, but I've seen people shooting for 50 (and beyond).
  • jennygillott
    jennygillott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ha ha - me too. The exact same problem. I'm not constipated now when I do go, it's just much less often. Hate that "full" feeling. No solutions to offer, I'm afraid.
  • JJA14
    JJA14 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Fats and fiber. Second the above. I supplement with soluble fiber for constipation, 10 g psyllium husk in sugarfree lemonade shake in morning and before each meal. Helps feeling fuller and the BM. Go easy at start and gradual dosing, or you might get more than you wished for ;)

I also eat a lot of fermented vegs in kimchi. I've just started taking resistant starch too, one of the anecdotal reports is satiation.

Can I be really honest? I love so much of what you say, especially in regards to exercise. I have no desire to offend and I think I know from reading so many of your posts that you won't be offended but...that doesn't sound like eating to me! It sounds like too much thinking about exactly what is going into your body, which smacks of a diet, which is exactly not why I like 5:2.

I'm sorry. I know I should listen to your wisdom (you know my diet - I've talked about it honestly) but can you see where I'm coming from?
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    We're all about the honesty...honestly! ...and it's hard to except that their is no magic solution (oh, how I wish!), but there are many ways to skin this 5:2 cat. I think if you hear from Foamie on this she'll tell you that her diet wasn't always as "tight" as it is now, plus she still enjoys some deliciously decadent dishes. She does a variation of 5:2 and thank goodness she has the stamina and insight to go out and try/research all these things I've never even heard of. I love the knowledge and especially the excitement she can bring to such things as "psyllium husks". That's the power of intermittent fasting....you can mold it to fit you. Foamie has a very specific goal in mind and she's reached a point where she can tweak the fine points. You're going to find almost everyone who has reached or is approaching maintenance talk about things like this. At the very least it will keep what can seem like a long and sometimes laborious plod filled with new and interesting things to experiment (play) with...it's like Christmas up'in'chea!

I tried a week of four 36 hour fasts (once)...back to back with 1 hour of serious eating between each. In those 3 one hour periods I ate things like hamburgers, pizza, ribs...all bad stuff, and I only lost 2 lbs at the end of the week. Could have been anything, maybe my body locked down its metabolism, but personally I feel it was my food choices. I've had simple weeks where I made big pots of low cal chili or gumbo, so on my days between fasts (I fast on Monday and Thursday) I ate healthy-ish...these weeks have sometimes got me more than 5 lb losses. So to say that we can eat whatever we want on non-fast days is probably a little reckless. I try (I TRY!) to eat healthier during the week and keep my blow-outs for the weekend. The theory seems to be holding up so far.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    @JJA14 - I completely understand you. I love the ideas, I get from all of the knowledge here and just use what I find right for me. Though I'm a chemical engineer, I'm not much into supplements, powders, pills, processed foods, low fat this, low carb that and try to get what I need with real, fresh foods and home cooked meals. But that is my choice. I'm by far not a 'clean eater' though.

Anyway, on of my quirks is...tell me what I have to eat...and I want something else ;-) This is the reason I'm no good at strict meal plans and why 5:2 is so good for me. One rule and the rest you can make to fit your life and Lifestyle.
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Coiles of mid brown perfection 1-2 times every day B)
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hilarious. from chemical engineering and supplements to coils of perfection. just laughed into my cup of tea x
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    JJA14 wrote: »
    Foamroller wrote: »

Can I be really honest? I love so much of what you say, especially in regards to exercise. I have no desire to offend and I think I know from reading so many of your posts that you won't be offended but...that doesn't sound like eating to me! It sounds like too much thinking about exactly what is going into your body, which smacks of a diet, which is exactly not why I like 5:2.

I'm sorry. I know I should listen to your wisdom (you know my diet - I've talked about it honestly) but can you see where I'm coming from?

@JJA14. I understand that you’re in a bad state of mind atm from the other thread. This thread however is not about you. OP asked a specific question, which we tried to answer from our experiences on the matter. It’s a free world, you can have whatever opinions you want. But I’ll tell you something…and this is said in the best of intentions: If you want or expect people to live like you prefer, because you compare yourself to others. You WILL be disappointed and discouraged. Comparing to others lead to jealousy or hubris, it's a lose-lose game. Focus on doing YOU.

You don’t even know me. You don’t know that I was hospitalized 3 years ago with a rare blood inflammation (mentioned in tv series House) and because of it I couldn’t walk. You don’t know all of the other health problems I’m battering. Yet, you feel you have to share your "honest opinion" about how I do my diet.

I understand that for many of you, my incessant recommendations about nutrition, can be irritating. But for me, this isn’t just about losing some fat. I was an annoyingly skinny person most of my life. And within 3 years I was BMI 27, heading towards obese. Something was clearly wrong. In fact, without 5:2 I’d still keep gaining despite meticulous logging 1200 kcal and exercising hard 3x a week.

My various experiments and research is for the LONG GAME. If I can find and use techniques, supplements or foods that make my goal towards FIXING my metabolism easier, then I’m willing to invest a lot of time and energy in finding a solution that goes beyond reaching goal weight. Meaning having an easy maintenance. The body is a high tech biochemistry facility. It runs on a very COMPLEX hormonal and bacterial balance in microbiome. Throw in genes, action potentials and LIFE happening and variations are astounding. So yeah, for me eating is feeding my body the stuff it needs to function properly. I don’t expect other people to be quite as detail oriented as me, because I understand that what works for me, may not work for or suit THEIR goals. I see weight loss as a strategy game. We all have to do our individual cost benefit calculations. I made raspberry vanilla ice cream with double cream in the weekend. It's delicious!
    Benefit: Healthy fats, sugar free, guilt free sweet treat.
    Cost: A bit of time, energy and a portion of my kcal budget.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that this would have been better in a private message? all sounding rather snarly, on a thread that is, after all, intended to be about poos. None of us 'know' each other, or can attempt a guess at each others' 'state of mind' , but what we can do is support in a respectful, warm and friendly manner.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Back to the original theme of this thread. ...I bought a mini trampoline on ebay for little money last fall. ...After a 30min workout I have other places to go! Seriously. More than once I've had to take a short break while jumping.

Might be worth a try and it's totally natural. Side effect. ...jumping makes you smile :D
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    3 days and counting, even trusty popcorn hasn't helped, nor the black bean Brownie. :\:s
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had trouble before the fast and from my Doctors suggestion I use Miralax, which works the same way as the psyllium husk previously mentioned by Foam roller.
    It's not intended for long time use but it's what I use if my carrots don't do the trick. It's more of a gently laxative where as the psyllium works like fiber.
    BM's can be a problem and very painful sometimes otherwise.

Mmmmm....Black bean brownie.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I like Miralax too although there are additional health benefits to psyllium husk. I remember looking on their website and there was no indication that it was for short term only. But it is best to follow a doctor's order.
  • chiccam
    Options
    That's right-psyllium husk isn't short term....sorry I was referring to the Miralax. I'm relaxing in the tub right now so I don't have the bottle in front of me.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was talking about Miralax. Actually I may be wrong about what I said. The Miralax FAQ said it was for occasional constipation. However, I have taken it long term though with no problems. Their website didn't say what could happen if you take it long term.
  • chiccam
    Options
    Nice to know. All the bottle said was not intended to take longer than a week, but Doctos having given me different instructions for my son who sometimes struggles.