Tracking gadgets and devices?

GSD_Mama
GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
For steps and other activities, do you use any? I was just looking through MFP and saw some, I don't know how they work or if they're worth the money (pricey!)

Replies

• jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Hi. If you're following a low carb diet you really don't need gadgets, exercise as often as your schedule allows and you'll get great results. My husband lost 40 pounds in 3 months with only 2 workouts per week!
  • GSD_Mama
    This is more for my personal curiosity:)
    I'm not as active as I would like to be right now, but will be getting back to my favorite Zumba and Shaun T workouts at home.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    If you like data, you might be interested in the Fitbit or the other 24/7 wearables. Many provide more than just step data, including sleep data, flights walked up, heart rate, and other data points. They get a little pricey, but can be useful for such measures.

I've had my eye on the Fitbit Charge HR, though haven't gotten it yet. I've done alright without them, but like you, I find it nice to have the extra data.
  • aggie2145
    aggie2145 Posts: 18 Member
    I love my Jawbone up 24/7 wearable. It tracks my sleep, daily steps and syncs all data with MFP. I love the daily challenges it includes (ie - go to bed by x time, drink 10 glasses of water today, finish 5,000 steps by 2pm, etc.) It also has a smart alarm that wakes me up when I'm in a lighter sleep.

I'm sure a fitbit does the same - however I am allergic to nickel and the new models have nickel close to the skin.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    I have had a Fitbit on me for 2+ years.... I dont leave home or go to bed without it.. It is a great motivator to do more. More stairs, steps and sleep. I have the Fitbit One. Besides all that Fitbits customer service is superb...
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    My 2 sons and 1 daughter-in-law all have Fitbits. They are synched so they can see how each other is tracking with an app on each phone and absolutely love them! The wake alarm during light sleep (as aggie said) is a real bonus and it inspires them to try to better each other's steps each day. My youngest son had to take his first one back because of a fault and they swapped it instantly for a new one, no questions asked.

I've had a heart rate monitor for about 5 years that I use during exercise and I love it. My first (Polar) just tracked max and avg heartrate and gave calories burned. My subsequent 2 have also tracked route with a visible map and distance, elevation. Apparently you can get a Fitbit that will do this too now.

If you love stats then I think they are all worth the money.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Thanks for all this info, I have been looking into an activity/sleep tracker too. I have hears great things about FitBits customer service too.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    I have had my Fitbit Flex for a year now, I LOVE it. It is such a little motivator. And yes, their customer service is awesome. My Flex quit charging/working about 6 months ago, I called them, emailed them my receipt, and they sent me a new one 4 days later.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I have had a Fitbit on me for 2+ years.... I dont leave home or go to bed without it.. It is a great motivator to do more. More stairs, steps and sleep. I have the Fitbit One. Besides all that Fitbits customer service is superb...
    I have a fitbit as wel. I have the flex. It's with me always. Do I *need* it to lose weight? No. I'm at maintenance. But it keeps me moving, which helps keep me healthy!
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    I've had my UP24 for about a month now and love it. I've used a pedometer on my phone for quite some time put don't always have it with me so the band counts all my steps not just intentional walks. I really like the sleep tracker too and "pats on the back" as hubby calls them
  • GSD_Mama
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I will take a look at Fitbit, i want it in pink, yellow or purple :)
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    I have a Fitbit Force, which I'm not sure they make anymore, as it was recalled for causing skin reactions or something like that. I have had it for slightly over a year, and it took me a while to love it. The main reason being it's one that you wear like a watch, and so if you aren't swinging your arms it's not going to count your steps. I found that inaccuracy frustrating, until my daughter suggested I wear it around my ankle. It *barely* fits, but since I've been doing that I feel I get a much more accurate count. It's synched to my phone so I have done lots of experiments with watching the steps tick off on the phone as I walk, and it's been 100% accurate each time I've paid attention to it. I am not one for intentionally "working out" but I do like to stay active.