Why I Dance. ..

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It was a great video. And then I read the comments. I knew better than to read the comments. Why did I read the comments?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous! I think most people will never "get it" until and unless they try. And, for many, the societal need for women to be forever at each other's throats instead of lifting each other up is just too ingrained to ever change. They can't accept women supporting each other. They can't see two women hugging without thinking it must be sexual. This from a culture that has no problem with football players grabbing each other's keisters for no apparent reason. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous! I think most people will never "get it" until and unless they try. And, for many, the societal need for women to be forever at each other's throats instead of lifting each other up is just too ingrained to ever change. They can't accept women supporting each other. They can't see two women hugging without thinking it must be sexual. This from a culture that has no problem with football players grabbing each other's keisters for no apparent reason. :stuck_out_tongue:

This. Like my sister just doesn't get it. I told her that I was taking some professional pics while poling and she was like "why!" I don't think she means to be judgmental. I think she's just concerned how people will perceive me. I won't lie, some people I readily tell and others I will not. For instance, I'm sort of kind of feeling out this thing with a new guy, but I won't tell him a thing about it until I know his character more. I don't need him having any sort of expectation about the "sort of girl" I am. *cue eye roll*

However, I told my grandparents that I pole over the weekend and they were ecstatic for me. So happy. My granny gave me a hug and they defended my choice to my sister. It was a really nice moment for me.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Most people don't get it. They don't know the history of pole either, not that I think it would matter much. I consider pole just another circus art. Almost all of the acrobatic moves are pretty much the same as something you'd do on a lyra, trapeze, or silks. But it's hard to get people to cross-over from other circus arts. There's just such a stigma against it. Eventually, I'd really like to get one of the silicone poles from xpole, just so I can demo while wearing more clothing, since I think a lot of people freak out about the lack of clothing.
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Well I loved the video and it got me wondering what it is that has me pole addicted although I can't do very much at all.

I love the girls in my class, they are so supportive
    I love being physically strong, but lean at the same time
    I think I might love the shoes, but the jury is still out on that one.
    I love nailing a new move
    I love the look of shock on peoples faces when I tell them I pole (I'm in my 50's and very overweight)
    I love the calorie burn
    I just love it!
  • Erachma
    Erachma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love it because it’s the first time I see progress (or it’s because I love it that I see progress?).
    I love it because it gets me so focused on nailing the move that I just forget how my body looks like, or should look like. Same goes for calory burn, although later I check it too.
    I love it because it makes me stronger, and oh- all the endorphins!

I love it so much I see my bruises as badges hahaha.