Primal Blueprint exercize thoughts

KombuchaCat
KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
I've been doing the WAPF thing for a while sort of leaning towards primal but yesterday I started the 21 Day Primal Blueprint challenge. So far so good. I'm hoping I get minimal carb flu since I've been low fructose for quite sometime, gradually reducing my grains, and always avoided processed foods/carbs. The one thing I didn't expect was the movement philosophy being such a boon. I have found that the marathon cardio session thing was not doing me favors, especially as I get older it just makes me more tired and hungry. To add on more general/functional movement per the blueprint I decided that every time I go to the bathroom at work I will go down and back up the 3 stories of stairs in my building. Without even really thinking about it I've gone up the stairs 8 times (also including going out at lunch and coming in this morning) which means I've climbed 24 stories! On a good day before if I take walk breaks I might go up the stairs 3-4 times so I've doubled or more the climbing...love it! Maybe TMI Tuesday but yay!

Replies

• Runnerduck123
    Runnerduck123 Posts: 19 Member
    Sounds like its going well for you. I know cardio does nothing for my weight. Just makes me absolutely starving afterwards.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    I love how Mark talks about exercise. I do crossfit, so at the moment I am good for exercise but I still read his stuff and think about how it could work for me. Just adding more in to a day is great, as you seem to be finding. Keep up the good work!
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    I just started incorporating the primal blueprint fitness plan today. For YEARS I have been doing 45 minutes to an hour on the elliptical pretty much everyday. In the summer I will add some outdoor activities like bike riding and walking and sporadic weight training throughout the year to that but have been religious about the elliptical. Now I am realizing that even though I can go along time on elliptical I am getting weaker and less fit when I do anything else. I really notice the last couple of years after turning 50. I was thinking it was age and was getting depressed but a few people mentioned it is just my body is just too used to that exercise and I need to mix it up. So did some circuit training today (incorporated a little treadmill and elliptical in the mix) and some treadmill this week to see if I get stronger and fitter.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I scrutinized the posts he made about this because I am a runner at heart, out of shape currently. I don't meet the criteria of chronic cardio, so I am good there. I do also think functional fitness is best.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Good job KombuchaCat with getting more movement in - it's important when one is a desk-jockey (I am one).

Thanks to the MDA podcast I found Al Kavadlo who does all body-weight exercises/ calisthenics. It's pretty amazing how physically strong he is (Google his name to see - particularly the Human Flag - ouch!). This type of workout is very primal and I would really like to develop some of these skills. I think it's a good option for primal fitness.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    cindytw wrote: »
    I scrutinized the posts he made about this because I am a runner at heart, out of shape currently. I don't meet the criteria of chronic cardio, so I am good there. I do also think functional fitness is best.

LOL, this is actually one reason why I like the Primal workouts, I loath distance running. If someone tells me I really should not be doing it I'm listening :wink: