Okay...if I MUST

Options
JDubbs339
JDubbs339 Posts: 44 Member
Hello everyone,

I'm lifting weights using New Rules of Lifting for Women and I love it! The only problem is, my clothes are fitting tighter instead of looser and I've gained 3-4lbs. I wouldn't be complaining about the weight gain if inches were coming off, but since they aren't I know that my food choices have not been up to par.

That being said, I think I have to sucuumb to clean eating once and for all : / I'm scared and get hungry just thinking about it. I want to lose 10 lbs by 7/15 and I guess making this lifestyle change would be a good start.

So now...how to begin?

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I bought the Tosca Reno's Cleaning eating recharged. Then eventually got the cookbook. It really helped with menus and recipes. Discipline with your eating will help a lot.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I get a lot of recipes from 100 Days of Real Food. http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

I want to read that lifting book! I've heard good things about it!
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There are many ways you can approach clean eating. You could jump right in and do a Whole30, or you can gradually weed out processed, packagedfoods and start increasing your veggies, fruits, meats, nuts etc... Do whatever you know will make you successful. Also important to define to yourself what exactly is clean eating. Everyone has their own idea, so make sure you know what you want out of the experience. Some people don't eat dairy, some people skip all grains etc...
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    There are many ways you can approach clean eating. You could jump right in and do a Whole30, or you can gradually weed out processed, packagedfoods and start increasing your veggies, fruits, meats, nuts etc... Do whatever you know will make you successful. Also important to define to yourself what exactly is clean eating. Everyone has their own idea, so make sure you know what you want out of the experience. Some people don't eat dairy, some people skip all grains etc...

^This! I just started gradual by eliminating the processed snacks and diet soda (which I realized after elminating it was a trigger food for me), then started adding more veggies and fruits to my diet to replace the processed snacks. You can eat a lot more when you are eating veggies, so you shouldn't feel hungry.

I used the "Eating Clean for Dummies" book to get me started since I had no idea what I was doing. It's a great resource and talks about the different ways to eat clean from just doing 50% clean to doing 90-100% clean. There is no "one way" or "right way" to eat clean because everyone had their own definition. Find what works for you, your weight loss, and your lifestyle. :smile:
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ya know, the food is so much better than you think it's going to be. I own practically every cookbook written by Tosca Reno and a few of the clean eating mags. There are clean alternatives to pretty much every one of your favorite recipes, even desserts! I don't follow the plan as far as snacks go, because I can never remember to eat them. I personally love the recipes, they taste so much better to me (and they're FRESH) than pre packaged foods. Good luck on your clean eating journey. Those books are SO WORTH CHECKING OUT!!!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to not lose, and even gain a few pounds when you kick off a weight lifting program. It is mostly water weight, and will stabilize in about a week or 2! Don't give up! Keep drinking good water, and eating clean will feed your body!!! I echo what the other ladies have said regarding clean tasting good. There is nothing that taste better than food made in your kitchen with fresh ingredients!!! Trust us....you will not suffer!!!
  • JDubbs339
    JDubbs339 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone!
  • czecher
    czecher Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree with Connie - weight lifting increases your muscle mass and muscle weighs more than fat. When I went into the military, I gained weight in boot camp because of all the muscle I gained. LEAN muscle is what you should be getting as a result of clean eating while doing weights. If you are interested in supplements, Tonalin CLA (the only kind to use) helps ensure you get more out of your diet and exercise and helps manufacture MORE lean muscle mass.

Wendy
  • elenaimp
    elenaimp Posts: 2
    Options
    My approach to clean eating was actually motivated by a desire to gain better control over my mental health, so I eat whole grains and lots of leafy vegetables. The recipe blogs I follow are: Budget Bytes, 101 Cookbooks, BigGirlsSmallKitchen, and Viet World Kitchen.

In terms of clean eating, I've found that preparation is key. If you don't have something in the fridge to snack on, then you'll eat something pre-packaged, which will affect your plan. I always have whole-grain bread, preferably homemade, yogurt (and something to put in the yogurt like honey or berries), and leftovers from dinner on hand. I also make rice and beans ahead of time so I can whip up a quick dinner if I'm exhausted but don't want to order takeout.

For me, the biggest thing was doing it little by little. It took me 6 months to get to a point where my eating was >80% clean, but I feel good about it now, and you're in your body your whole life - so really, 6 months is not that long. Change things bit by bit and see where it takes you, would be my advice.