February 17

Options
ronercat
ronercat Posts: 273 Member
First off I want to say congratulations to Dee! Hooray for weddings!

Today I have been thinking about some of my weight loss/health goals. Lately I have been fairly lackadaisical in my efforts. I have basically been going through the motions and letting a few too many things slide. I am going to change that today by making sure that, starting now, I take my dog for a walk every night. I was doing a great job with that about a year ago and it made a noticeable difference. I have other things that I want/need to do, but I am going to start with this one thing and build from there.

Does anyone else have a single thing that they want to make their focus?

Replies

• artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do! I want to buckle down and get things jump started again. But in order to do that, I need to do what go me where I was headed in the first place... being accountable here. Marking down all my food, good or bad. It became second nature for a while and I have let it fall by the wayside. So my goal starting Monday is to write everything down faithfully again. I'd start now, but we are going on a mini vaca and I won't have wi-fi. So maybe I will write it on paper!!! aha moment! I can start tomorrow!
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Good thoughts!! I've also gotten very lazy about many things. I'll start with you Diana. Let's go for a week of writing down what we eat.

• catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I am with you with the logging in food. I have not lost the weight I gained over the holidays, basically sabotaged my weight loss progress. I will start to log in my food intake too, as that did work for me. I also want to be sure to get my 10,000 steps in at least 5 days a week. Oops! that was two items instead of a 'single' item!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hahaha, Nancy! My head does the same thing. I try to focus on the one thing and then immediately start adding in the "oh and also"!

I need to set some exercise goals, so maybe for next week we can do an exercise challenge?
    K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Does that mean I have to get up off the couch and do some sort of moving, or lifting or shifting??? Ouch!! Well, guess I could do one!! lol
  • ronercat
    Options
    I managed to take the dog out last night so that was a victory haha. We also started doing our choreography for the musical so I also got a decent workout in. Some of these dance routines are going to be fairly intense.

Good luck to all of you on your tracking!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Zac, we need video footage of all this dancing please!!
  • ronercat
    Options
    I will see what I can do haha. (I might wait until it is something we can do well)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Okay, so day one of tracking food is almost over. It seemed like I ate a TON of food, but my total was only 1000 calories. At this point post-surgery, I should be eating 800 unless I have a good workout, which I didn't.

My real issues with my food today is that I consumed almost all of it between 4 and 6 p.m. and 300 calories were wasted on cheezits!! Argh.

I've always had this problem of not being hungry/not eating in the morning or at lunch, then starting to eat in the late afternoon and just bingeing because I turn ravenous. With my new small stomach (the surgery I had, gastric sleeve, involves reducing the stomach to the size of very a small banana), I can't binge any more, but I have been pushing it lately, eating too much, feeling sick. Drinking water to push the food through and then getting intestinal distress. What I really want/need to do is spread out my meals, keep "fueled" all day long. Also break up my prednisone dose into two smaller ones so I don't get that afternoon prednisone-fuelled crazy hunger.

I'm NOT a meal planner usually, but I'm going to play with this idea of planning out meals and snacks as part of my week of recording food. It's funny, if I had my 7-year-old best friend for the day, of course I would plan his meals and snacks!! And made sure he ate at regular intervals!! And I don't do that for myself why? This is especially important now--to protect my new stomach from stretching or leaking, and to get and keep my Still's flares in control.

Good plan, eh?

Tomorrow should look like this: breakfast protein shake; snack skim milk; lunch chili, apricots; snack hard-boiled egg; supper pork chop, brussel sprouts; snack protein shake.

K. In Maine where tonight we're getting another 14" of snow. Crazy.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Good plan Karen. I was watching this british show 'Secret Eaters', and one of the things the moderator emphasizes ....no big surprise....is to sit down and eat without any distractions...no sitting at the computer/internet, no TV etc. We all know this, but we are suppose to pay attention to what we are putting into our mouths and then the 'mindful' eating comes in where you eat until you feel full. Both are difficult tasks for me...as I mindlessly shovel food into my mouth while being distracted by TV. Also, as you are aware with your 'sleeve' to eat more slowly....another issue I have too...I just shovel it in fast. I don't think I can ever slow my eating habits down to what the experts recommend...chewing for 'x' amount time, but I suppose I can give it a shot and sit at a table for dinner.....(that would be a first for a thousand years!), and pay attention to what I eat. Funny, I am OK with what I eat for breakfast, and I pack my lunch and do OK (even sit in the facilities cafeteria with colleagues for my lunch break), but when I get home....that is my downfall...about the same time you have issues too....4:30pm - 7 pm. I may even try and go to bed early (like 7:30pm to avoid late night binging...and wake up at 3 am or 3:30am to start my day...as I do not eat that early. Still gives me the same amount of sleep...well actually a bit more than my normal 6 hours, so I should be OK at work.

Zac, have fun at your musical!!! And dancing now!! Wow...that is some talent you have there!!

Karen...be careful shoveling out from all that snow...but on the bright side, look at the exercise you would get!! lol

Artelyn...get ready to start logging your food! I will too!!

Have a good one all!!

Nancy...where we are having crappy sandstormy weather! Need to wear a mask outside to walk home from! Uck!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Oh, Nancy, I think I'd rather have a snow blizzard than a SAND blizzard! Take care of you!

Have you ever done any research on "night eating"? Apparently our bodies don't gear down hormonally in the evening the way they're supposed to. I'll look for an article.
    K.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Speaking of which... What am I doing at midnight? Eating cheezits and watching My 600 Pound Life.
    Okay.. Putting down the cheezits now. Doing my arm exercises.