GOALS: Size, Weight, what looks good, what feels good?

Options
ThinnerHill
ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
Good evening! I am struggling a bit trying to determine my goals. I am one who HAS to know what I am working toward. So when setting your goals did you select a weight, size clothing, what you think might feel or look good......
DH and I had a long discussion on this tonight. He thinks to fit into my thinner clothes I could lose and be happy with 20 more. I don't know what my body is able to do or ook like at a particular weight anymore. IDK what to do. I'm thinking at least 30 more. Would put me back to the lowest I've been in 7 or 8 years. I don't remember the year, just the occassion. Gonna have to research it. Lol.
any help or thoughts?

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Here are my goals, in order of priority:
    1. A healthy BMI, on the high end, but enough for my doctor to stop bugging me. So a weight around 135.
    2. Size 4-6 jeans that I wore in highschool. Major vanity goal here, but I want to look d@mn good in white jeans that are part of my uniform.
    3. A general feeling of fitness and health. If this happens at a higher weight than my healthy BMI I'll still work toward that goal.
    4. I'd like to go back to competitive dance, the limit for that is 125-130. Soooo, long term that's a fitness goal too.

Really it depends what your motivations are, if it's for health and that's it I'd select a weight/BMI. If it's to look hot, I'd pick a specific piece of clothing that I want to look good in.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My long term goal has always been the number on the scale, but I find tons of goals along the way to keep me going, improvements at the gym, reduction in inches, being able to first fit into 3X shirts, and now even the occasional 2X, seeing my blood pressure or cholesterol or blood sugar come down, etc, and of course, all the round numbers on the way to the long term goal. A combination of all that and seeing lots of little victories along the way really has seemed to motivate me..
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I would like to have a healthy BMI. I would like to fit into the clothes I have out grown. I would like to be able to move easier. Then I hope to have the need to buy new smaller clothes. I fear setting an exact goal. I am not into pressure. I can be disciplined but do not feel the need to push myself. This is to be my lifestyle so I need to make it easy for me. I will not be stopping this WOE when I hit the weight that makes me happy. Losing the weight is a bonus. Just the health advantages of eating well is good enough for me right now. I think it is great to set goals. Just for me right now I can not pressure myself.

Sweetteadrinker. I weighed 100 pounds back in the day and was terribly thin, bones, and I never could get into a size 4. I think size 6 was the smallest I ever wore. Different body shapes.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Sweetteadrinker. I weighed 100 pounds back in the day and was terribly thin, bones, and I never could get into a size 4. I think size 6 was the smallest I ever wore. Different body shapes.

Also different clothing manufacturers and the like, my hips have really widened once I hit my teensin terms of bone shape. S0 we will see if I make it to size 4 or not.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My goals:
    1. Healthy glucose numbers (I'm a diabetic) and blood results in general.
    2. A healthy BMI (49 right now so a loooong way to go).
    3. To have more energy and to breath easier.
    4. To enjoy shopping for clothes.

These are all weight-related, of course, but I don't use a specific weight as a goal (even though I'm very happy to see the scale numbers going down), because I have to believe that if I keep to this WOE I'll get there. I've mistreated my body my whole life. It was with the best of intentions (ex-vegetarian, whole everything, here) but still, I'm living proof that it didn't work. So now I'm respecting my body and trusting that, given the right nutrients, it will heal itself.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What I did was pick a weight towards the middle of my healthy BMI. It was a very arbitrary choice and what I end up at may well be different, but it gave me something to shoot for.

So far I have gone (in 10 months), from 375.3lbs (BMI of 55.4, class III obesity), to 245.8lbs (BMI of 36.3, class II obesity). I have 9.5 more lbs to go to "normal" obesity, which is my next goal. 33 lbs after that to get to just "overweight" and another 34 after that to get to normal weight, then 14 more to get my "goal" weight.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I go by clothing size, because my weight/BMI will never be accurate. My realistic goal is size 16 jeans. My unrealistic one is boots that go over my calves, though if I ever can, I think I'd be too afraid they wouldn't come off again to wear them.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI is a goal for me. I picked a goal weight (175...I'm 5'10") that I know I looked/felt good at a few years back...but I am not committed to that particular number.

One thing to keep in mind w/ this WOE is that the number on the scale will not always reflect the "space" that your body is truly taking up. I found that because of the adequate protein I consume, my muscles ADORE fueling this way and respond appropriately. This means that for me, 175 of toned muscle looks much, much better and requires less space than 175 pounds of jiggle, ya know? People always try to say "muscle weighs more than fat" when what they really mean is "muscle takes up less space than an equivalent amount of fat." For me? True story.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have set smaller goals along the way so they wouldn't seem so daunting, but knew what my end goal was all along. I just have focused energy on the smaller ones.

I picked a weight that I felt good at before, not knowing if I'd look the same since it has been quite some time since I've weighed this little. I also wanted to be within the "normal" or "healthy" band of the BMI chart, though I don't put that much stock in BMI.

I've effectively met my goal of 145...got down to 145.4, and then bounced back up with water weight from splurging (totally my fault, but I know I will get back to it), and I'm pretty certain that I have at least 5 more pounds to lose. This is probably due to some muscle loss over the years of being pretty sedentary.

So, I'm going to set my next goal to 140 lbs. I also have a bodyfat % goal and another hydrostatic weighing appointment at the end of March. I want to be at 22% bodyfat no matter what my weight ends up being. If it goes lower than 22% that is even better.

All this to say, set your goal (s), and re-evaluate them as you feel you need to. Sometimes a really big goal can feel overwhelming, and seem like it's taking forever to get to a celebration. Celebrate all your successes, scale or otherwise (non-scale victories)!. This is a major motivator knowing you are going to get/do something that you've been working toward.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I started out wanting to take off 10% of my body weight. You hear all the time that losing just 10% would do wonders, and it did for me. So then I said, okay, 10% was 20 lbs, let's see if I can lose another 15 lbs and get into a size 10. Which has always been my smallest adult size. Did that...but it's different now. My current (40 yo) size 10 looks a lot different from my prior (early 20's) size 10. But I am loving this woe and know that, for me, it's manageable. So, my new goal is to drop another 10 -15 lbs (putting me in the 150's) and possibly go down to a size 8, but that goal is more a curiosity than a need.

Also, last year, I set a goal to run a 5k, which I did in August, but before I started eating LCHF/Keto. For this year, I want to run that same 5k and be fully keto adapted. That is huge for me, as I have, in the past, been really active (daily workouts and started running at 39 yo) or keto, but not the two together. I've read Volek & Phinney's "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" and am really interested to see how I do with working out and running again on LCHF/Keto.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of 2014, my goal was to get below 250 from 289. Done.

Last month, my goal was to get below the weight I was when my daughter was born. Done.

My goal right now is to drop four more pounds. :)

My goals are small, because the smaller I get, they change. My long term, fantasy goal would be to get 10 pounds lighter than when I got married - which will be 180 lbs. I can't even contemplate a pound less than that right now. If/When I get there, I'll come up with new goals.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    ldmoor wrote: »
    In the beginning of 2014, my goal was to get below 250 from 289. Done.

Last month, my goal was to get below the weight I was when my daughter was born. Done.

My goal right now is to drop four more pounds. :)

My goals are small, because the smaller I get, they change. My long term, fantasy goal would be to get 10 pounds lighter than when I got married - which will be 180 lbs. I can't even contemplate a pound less than that right now. If/When I get there, I'll come up with new goals.

This is awesome, and realistic, and do-able. Love that. Sometimes I think those original goals start to lose their urgency along the journey, too, as we become aware and grateful for all of the other positives that our lifestyle changes have brought us. The numbers just lose some of their power, ya know?

Congrats on your goals attained, and best of luck on the totally achievable ones ahead. :-)