Anyone have success making bone broth?

Options
And if so, any tips/recipes?

I am most interested in beef broth and concerned over it coming out bitter.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've never had it come out bitter, but I have found beef broth to be a flavor black hole, so don't be afraid to be generous with herbs and spices when making and using it.

Making broth is pretty easy -- throw bones/carcases in a big pot or slow cooker, add a little vinegar and (if you want) vegetable pieces (even the not so tasty parts can be used here), bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for a day or so. In the last hour or so, add whatever herbs/spices you want to the broth itself. Then strain out the pieces and store. The best broths will turn to jello in the fridge (but if yours doesn't, that's okay, just means you didn't get a lot of gelatin from the parts, or you had more water than what's needed to make it jello).
  • Japkoo
    Japkoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I made some for the first time in my slow cooker. Grass fed beef soup bones, some garlic, onion, bay leaf and 1 carrot. 24 hours. Strained it. It was really good, just had to add a bit of salt.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I too haven't had a bitter broth yet- I've only made chicken though. What did you add to yours? I've read that adding herbs in the last stages of cooking can prevent any bitterness.
  • melissa968
    melissa968 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did not have such a good experience with my first bone broth making adventure. Darned stuff simmered and simmered all day...nearly twelve hours. In the end it just had a funky flavor I couldn't drink. I was going to try to use it to make beef stew but after trying to drink another mug I ended up throwing it all out. I don't know what the deal was. I followed the recipe exactly.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Just toss the bones in a pot/slower cooker, cover with water and simmer. Addsome veg if you like. LOTS of salt at the end.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm on my third batch and this is the best one yet. I used double the chicken bones, and some chicken skin and it's like golden liquidy goodness up in here. I add a T of butter and a good amount of pink himlayan salt to the cup when I drink it.

Edit to add: I simmered this batch in the crockpot for 36 hours on low. I think the longer simmer really made a huge difference.
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe from Dr. Jason Fung's website.

intensivedietarymanagement.com/bone-broth-broth-can-cure-cold-idm-6-2/
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I made some with beef short rib bones. Tossed them in the crock after dinner, strained it the next day. I added what was left of some box stuff i had used the night before to cook with. I think it was good, but I don't know any better...
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've not made beef broth or stock, but have made chicken. The best have come from the boniest parts, and lately, I use the pressure cooker.

I oven roast necks and backs for 2 hours or so, then toss them plus any leftover carcasses (saved and frozen from whole roast chickens) into the pressure cooker, add cool water to cover, a little garlic, a few bay leaves, then cook for another hour. The toughest part - finding necks and backs!
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    melissa968 wrote: »
    I did not have such a good experience with my first bone broth making adventure. Darned stuff simmered and simmered all day...nearly twelve hours. In the end it just had a funky flavor I couldn't drink. I was going to try to use it to make beef stew but after trying to drink another mug I ended up throwing it all out. I don't know what the deal was. I followed the recipe exactly.

I've made it twice...drinkable the first time. Awful the 2nd. I threw mine away too!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Two words: Crock. Pot. :p
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Japkoo wrote: »
    I made some for the first time in my slow cooker. Grass fed beef soup bones, some garlic, onion, bay leaf and 1 carrot. 24 hours. Strained it. It was really good, just had to add a bit of salt.

I second the slow cooker. Been making it this way for years, both beef and poultry.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I make bone broth every weekend out of any bones I have, then store jars of it in the freezer for future use. The flavour will vary depending on whether you use raw bones or roasted bones ( fuller flavour). I put a slash of apple cider vinegar in the pot to help draw out the most benefits from the bones, and onion and celery. Boil it all day. I prefer to do it on top of the stove rather than the slowcooker. I often make a beef / pork combo because the beef broth can be rather dull. Right now in my freezer I have : beef, beef/pork, pork, ham, chicken, turkey, goose, and salmon stock. We love to drink it as it is, or make soups out of it, or cook with it. I also boil bone broth down to reduce it, pour it into tart pans or ice cube trays, then freeze to use when cooking dishes like stir frys etc. It is part of our life and we love it.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I use an electric pressure cooker. Pop cow bones in, cover with water, add a splash of ACV, and run on high for 99 minutes. Sometimes I strain the broth, throw the bones back in with a few new ones, and repeat.