Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hello all, how is everyone?? Me, I'm working like a Hebrew slave and putting as much extra towards to mortgage as I can. Just took on job #3, now working for the State of All as a wellness nurse. Thinking of you all, hope the holidays don't sabatoge any of us. Gotta run, see ya
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, its been lovely reading(and seeing,lol) what you have all been up to over this period. I had wondered if we would see any Thanksgiving things creeping in here as there is a fair-sized US community and they also like to adopt ANY excuse they can to sell things for any occasion but nothing! I had hoped to find ready mixed pumpkin seasoning too but no luck!

There are Christmas trees and some decorations in the shops and sales on which I guess are their version of 'Black Friday' which I understand the UK is also starting to adopt. Even after all these years here I still cant get my head around Christmas being hot! I suppose it would be hard for people like May to think of it cold,lolol. It was so nice to see the shops in UK decorated and after the clocks went back and it was getting dark at 4.30 it was lovely to get a hint of the special Christmas atmosphere!!! We agreed it was a shame we had to come back before the street markets set up which really add to it, never mind.

Janice the pics are lovely! I adore seeing the changing seasons. Here I can mark the change by dropping from Industrial strength deodorant to a normal one, lolol. That and the opportunity to go and walk in one of the lovely parks without melting. Yesterday was our first walk outside of this winter! We went to a beautiful park called Mamzar which has lovely little coves or bays for swimming, white sand and all the Palm trees and flowers you would expect in this kind of area plus a large green area. They keep it beautifully clean.....with the exception of the toilets! Uggghhhh.
    z68jjukqym4s.jpg
    lbo0zwx6ky4l.jpg
    icm4puyvr3lv.jpg
    4e1476ajhar7.png

It has always been an intention of mine to rent one of their chalets for the day and just sit relaxing and BBq'ing but I havent got around to it. The chalets are right by the ocean and very well equiped. The smells of the different foods BBQing when you walk by them on the weekend is amazing! Lol.
    lh1y8wbbrdng.jpg

Tomorrow I am 6 weeks post-op but had my follow-up consultation at 2 weeks as we had to fly back here. Most of the stitches seem to have dissolved and I had to take antibiotics as I had an obvious infection but all seems clear now I'm pleased to say.
    As to my cardiac follow up I guess we have to book that for next week. I intend getting bloods done of the things I am interested in such as hs C Reactive protein and LDL particle size before I go so I am armed and informed so hopefully my Cardiologist will be open enough to at least listen to me and agree to look at why I have the lesions and what I can do to prevent any more 'events'. It seems from the extensive reading that I have done that the lesions are caused in the blood vessels years before they actually have any build up and narrowing and that the long term inflammation from various things has been the cause along with years of a crappy diet. All I can do is pray that the years of LCHF eating have halted things. Still have the inflammation problems but am trying to negate the effects with supplements.

Kathy......any news on your colonoscopy??

Karla....not only do we share a birthday but I'm also 5'8"....although I have shrunk and inch these last few years! Lol. I was 5'9"!!!

Hope you all stay warm and well!

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Janice, your deviation from plan German food looks delicious! Hope your fast is going well too! Hugs!

Kathie, I hope the colonoscopy went well! Update when you can dear!

Karen, glad you stopped in to say hello! Working three jobs is amazing! Hope you're able to find some stress free time for yourself! I'm actually thinking about finding a second part time job to make up for the lack of work availability at the present. Just thinking about it though!

Jane, the pictures from your walk look lovely. I'm sure you would love some of the cooler weather, but, so would I! I've been wearing short pants since thanksgiving. Temps into the 70sF during the day! Still better than yours though! I agree with the further lab testing you mentioned. Being fully armed with data will help you in the long run! Keep us informed with what you find please!

Well, I've spent the weekend with a migraine. I believe it's from the few minutes of lifting three pound weights on Friday. My neck has been hurting too. I only did a few reps, but am apparently still sensitive! Bummer! I tolerated my bicycle ride a couple of weeks ago, so I think I will stick with that for now!

Nothing happening with the scale right now. Today's weight was 197.8, so my swings back up don't seem to be as great as they have been which is good for the psyche! Any small victory counts, right?!

Love you all! Hugs too!!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi Kids,

I'm not a big poster to this discussion but I really like to read about everyone else's adventures. I had some adventures of my own this past week. We went to visit our daughter, SIL and two boys in the Chicago area. Then went on to visit our son and DIL and their son and daughter in the Portage MI area. Our Daughter and her family came to Portage for the Thanksgiving holiday. It was wonderful for all of us to gather as we don't do it often enough. The next time will be for Christmas and I can't wait. It did cause me to have some problems with staying on program. I had given myself a free reign for Thanksgiving day before we left. That turned into a full fledged carb binge for the week. Now I know I can't ever do that again. No cheat days, not ever.

I always feel bad that @Kitn has to work with such nasty and uncaring individuals. The stress must be awful. Even though I am now retired, I remember having a supervisor that seemed to thrive on making me miserable. Even after I left that job it took me a long time to recover and get my confidence back.

@Karlottap , you are my inspiration as always. I am sorry about your grandmother but its great to be able to touch base with others one sees so irregularly. I recently lost my older sister. She hadn't been sick or anything. She went to sleep and never woke up. I am now the oldest person left of all my family. It's kind of depressing when you think that way. All I can do is take care of myself, right? Losing weight has helped. Now I just have to motivate myself to exercise.

Take care of yourselves, stay the course and keep on truckin'
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Howdy Ladies,

Just dropping in to say hello. As usual I read all of the posts but find it really hard to post unless I'm having a better than normal day. I hate to be a debbie downer, if you can't say something nice, and all that jazz.....

So, Turkey Day was great with just my Moma, Aunt, & Uncle. Early to bed, early to rise and a nap in between. I took tons of pics and sent them out to the kids that did not make the effort to connect in any way with their parents! (yep, that was meanasty!) We were in Hurst (DFW area) and there were 8 deaths due to the flooding. Sure makes you sit back and think about how blessed you are to be safe with family you love.

Houses are moving along. It really looks like my youngest will be in his with the Grandflowers before Christmas. I'm praying for it as it sure would be a nice gift for the girls to have "home" again. Time will tell and it's all in HIS hands so I'm not gonna stress it.

Back at work this lovely Monday and there is nothing nice to say other than I am blessed to have a job that is paying most of the bills. ;) I do have some great coworkers.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having such a hard time of things. You are each and everyone in my thoughts and prayers - along with Ms May. We are strong, amazing women and we can do this!!

Take care of yourselves
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    Wow Jane, beautiful pictures! Thank you so much for posting them. I long to see a warm country with palm trees before I die! So far, I can only gaze at the screen saver on my computer for a nice beach view with sand and palm trees.

Hi everybody! Yes, we are strong, and beautiful and valuable, and we are doing this ! Things aren't perfect, but we learn and grow.

So I learned that my lovely lunch of schnitzel and apple strudel made me feel hungrier than normal, so won't be indulging again anytime soon. As a result of increased hunger the next couple of days after, I wasn't able to fast, so chose to stick to lowering my carbs more, in order to get back on track. I've just had a much lower carb day today, so should be able to fast effortlessly for a couple of days now. I always feel more like myself when fasting.

I seized the opportunity to thank my bosses today for moving me into my new office. Apparently once the budget has been approved, I will get a new custom built desk, so that will be nice. They will ask me for my input. For now, I am just enjoying my own space and need to get caught up.

I've had a lovely extended weekend, and the weather was beautiful. I also got most of my Christmas shopping done and wrapped, so I'm quite proud of myself. Here's just a quick pic of the creek near my house.bs4da5wdic89.jpeg
    Have a great week Ladies!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So nice hearing about all your holiday trips. Funny how the holidays are promoted as great family times and yet cause so much friction isnt it. :#
    I have had a message from May....she sends her love to all of us and says to tell you she is happy and well and busy, busy, busy.
    Janice I am so glad that the new office is working out for you....wow what a year of trials and transition for you its been but what huge positive steps you have taken too! Brilliant.
    Karla I hope your head has cleared. I always knew exercise was bad for you,lololol. Just kidding. I know you listen to your body so baby steps and hopefully you will get there.

Lovely to hear from you Sue and Rebecca. Keeps us going when you check in. :)<3
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Janice, I can't imagine the amount of snow, and ice, you must endure every winter! I'm still in short sleeves here, though not tropical like Jane! I'm so glad the work situation seems better, for now. Plus, New office furniture will be nice! Happy they plan to include your input too! It's amazing how quickly the higher carb food can induce hunger! It's almost strange to feel hungry, after all this time! Glad you're is passing, and you're able to get back to your fasting!

Jane, thank you for letting us know you heard from May! I'm so happy to hear that she is doing well! I had allowed my thoughts to become worried about her well being, so it's great to know otherwise!! I'm reminded, pretty quickly, of why I have avoided exercise for so long. It just makes me hurt! Gives me a good excuse, right? Lol! Have been taking it easy the past couple of days, with improvement in my headaches. Hopefully I will be exercise without pain one day! Until then I will keep trying though!

Love to all! Hugs!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies!

I've spent the past few days, suffering with this stupid gastric ulcer again! It did lead me through a three day water fast though. Next time I do it by choice, just probably not three days! Being sick has made the scale be nice to me today! I'm seeing my lowest weight since I was 15 years old (190.3) and I'm counting it! I know it will go up again, now that I'm able to eat something, but every drop is exciting! Kombucha has been recommended several times and is on my shopping list for tomorrow!

Haven't had very much going on since being ill. I didn't work this past week (this job is more part time than I expected) but I guess that was good since I didn't feel well. Need to make more income though. My first bigger paycheck was nice, but was quickly spent on Christmas. I am considering a second part time job to maybe generate a steady work/income situation. I do have a serious problem with the amounts of medication all of these patients are on. Seems like about 75% are type 2 diabetics and on statins! I don't know if I could put myself in the situation where I had to give people this poison! Wish doctors would educate themselves and truly help their patients, instead of throwing more pills at them!

I actually made the wreaths I have out on the front Windows, for Christmas decoration, and they look good! Two are candy cane shaped, and two are round. I made them with a red burlap, and sparkly white mesh. Am proud of myself! I attempted this last year, but didn't like how they turned out. Haven't done any inside decorating yet, nor have I finished shopping, so lots to do!

Hope everyone has had a marvelous weekend! Hugs!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap You've been to the doctor about that ulcer, right? They're usually treatable. I hope that you feel better soon.

• christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Hello lovely ladies!

Kombucha has been recommended several times and is on my shopping list for tomorrow!

You have just reminded me that I want to try some Kombucha too! Will have to stop on my way home tonight before I forget!!!

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I've been so busy with Dr appts, birthdays, & Christmas prep I think I'm going backwards. My colonoscopy was 10(?) days ago & I go for results this Friday. So obviously they didn't find anything or I would have been called in sooner (I'm guessing). I did have my 1 yr gynie checkup last Monday & he put me on chronic pain meds & scheduled an ultrasound & more tests for next week. This "wait & see" game is getting annoying. My furniture is finally painted, waxed, & hardware put on. I have to wait for my daughter to come home to show me how to put pics on, lol. I've also finished a fairy house for my niece & had way too much fun doing that. The poor housework is on the back burner & will have to stay there til I get my tree & decorations up.
    Karla, hope you feel better soon.
    Jane, thanks for passing May's message along. How are you feeling? Great pictures, by the way!
    Janice, how's the new office working out? Has the stress level improved?
    Hope everyone else is doing well, too.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Hello beautiful Ladies! I'm so sorry about your ulcer Karla, but pleased about the weight loss. And Kathie, hopefully it's a good thing that you haven't heard back about the colonoscopy. And Jane, love the new look !

Well, where did I even leave off ? I have been so busy with work.... Worked 12.5 hours last Thursday, but needed to get the Christmas schedule done. I was way behind. I'm still catching up after all the camping and moving around at work. Now I am in my little office though, and I love it! It is cozy and warm and all mine! I can make coffee or tea whenever I please. And I have a few Christmas decorations up. This has reduced my stress immensely. I am mostly out of sight of the people who used to give me grief and in sight of some lovely nursing staff. There are daily hugs and I love that. Today I joined their lunch time potluck..... Too many carbs, but worth it. But it did start a conversation and education as to how I would change the meal according to the way I eat, so that's a good thing. I plan to make healthy treats and share them at work.

Friday night was our work Christmas party and that was OK but not completely enjoyable. The music wasn't the greatest and the food was a Filipino buffet with tiny meat filled spring rolls called lumpia, a rice noodle dish called pandit, chicken stir fry, fried chicken, fried rice, meatballs and a Filipino meatloaf and various cakes for dessert. I skipped most of the starchy stuff and went for the meat, but couldn't resist the egg rolls. So as a result, my carb intake has been higher two weekends in a row! Guess who's fasting the rest of the week? At least with the fasting, I can get back on track, but have just been maintaining my weight with no new weight loss for weeks. Oh well, even this is a nice change from years past that might have seen a weight gain each winter. I did dance a lot at the party, so that's bound to help.

I must say that I feel fitter, more flexible, more energetic than ever. Being located on the 3rd floor of a 5 storey building , with the printer on the main floor, means that I am literally running up and down the stairs all day long, and I like it!

My Christmas preparations are well under way, and I'm more than 3/4 finished with presents. Got to start on a bit of baking and lots of cleaning. Christmas is at my house so there is a lot to do. But I'm under control. I am definitely in the Christmas spirit!

One more thing that has seen my stress levels improve dramatically, is my friendship with my special MFP friend, he who has not yet been named, lol. I truly feel that I have found a kindred spirit in him and this brings me much joy.

Have a great week ladies! Love, Janice
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    The noodles are pansit not pandit.

And I forgot to mention that we've had unseasonably warm weather so far, with temperatures above freezing during the day which seems weird. It's too cool for my spring jacket and too warm for my winter coat. I've had a few nice walks. The snow is shrinking and melting. I saw video footage of the polar bears in Churchill where I visited earlier this year, and they are pacing back and forth on the shore, waiting for the bay to freeze so they can get out there and hunt seals. Normally at this time of year, the tundra buggies wouldn't be able to take tours out there. Their season would usually be over for the year. The ice would be forming and the bears would be gone out to sea. Weird.

So no, we're not in shirt sleeves, but we are warmer this year. I see joggers in shorts still. I think the temp got to about 2 C today.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hello!!
    @lithezebra, the ulcer was diagnosed with an endoscopy done in August. Have been on medicine to prevent them forever and still got one! It has flared up this way three times this year. Doctor says it will take it a long time to heal, and it certainly is!

@Christine, I'm going to Wal Mart this afternoon for mine! Good to see you!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Man! Over half of my last comment didn't come out! Grrr!

@Kathie, your aggravation with the hurry up and wait medical tests is understandable. I'm glad you have doctors who are treating you properly while this investigation continues! I understand needing help with technology! I'm terribly challenged and depend on my son to help me a lot! We helped our parents learn how to use a VCR years ago. Every generation is needed to help the older folks figure things out! Your fairy house sounds awesome! Will enjoy seeing some pictures when you're able!

@Janice, I'm so happy your work environment has improved! It's great that you've turned into the teacher of this woe for your coworkers too! I'm so proud of your success! It's so sad for the polar bear! The are starving while waiting for the ice to form! Poor babies! The Changes to our beautiful earth are affecting every creature in negative ways! We don't usually stay this warm either. Today it's almost 80F!

I have to work in the morning, so will have to end this for now! Love to all!

• RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

So glad to hear that Ms May checked in. Give her my love if you speak again. I sure hope her busy is a great busy.

Finishing touches going on in the Grandflower's house. It really looks like they are going to get in before Christmas. I've started gathering little things to really deck it out for them. Little ones are such fun.

WOE is going pretty well but I don't feel like I'm loosing. In my mind not gaining is a plus for me right now. And I am feeling better so that's a good thing.

Work is work. I will be so glad when the change takes place. I never thought I would be one to say that we really need some rules around this place!!

Weather is perfect here. About 75 and sunny out there right now. I had to fight myself to come back in after my lunchtime walk. It's supposed to stay this way for a few days so I'm gonna soak it up while I can. We ordered a new treadmill so I can keep up the walking even once it get's nasty again. :D and nasty for me is anything below 40 or above 80.

Wishing everyone continued success in whatever is working for you. I will pray for all of the aches and pains too as I know how those can stall any possible progress.

Take care!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi Rebecca! So great to see you!! I'm so glad your grandflowers will be back in their home for Christmas!! That's a wonderful gift! I don't believe that maintenance is a bad thing! It's great that your aren't gaining, and sticking with it!

We had hubbys Christmas dinner last night. It's a semi formal affair, and was fun to get to dress up! The food was amazing! There was raw cauliflower and other veggies, grape tomatoes with big chunks of mozzarella, dark meat chicken skewers, meatballs, marinated shrimp, roast beef, and ham that I chose to eat (yea some sauces, but no feelings of very high carb stuff). There were other options too of bread and dessert, but I was happy with the meat! No alcohol was consumed since I was the driver! We had a nice time! Plus, we looked good! I'm posting this picture of us before we left for the dinner. Hubby was cooperative with my request to color coordinate, and I believe we cleaned up good, lol!

0ux4z8vfonf1.jpg

Hubby wouldn't like that I posted his picture, but I don't believe you'll tell on me, lol!

Love you all! Hugs!!

• Kitnthecat
    Options
    What a beautiful picture Karla! You two look great!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you Janice!!
    He is still eating LCHF and is feeling more benefits from it too (he is losing his little, though it wasn't as little anymore, beer gut! Lol!) He has become very sensitive to higher carb foods already too. He actually farted the other day and realised it had been a while since he had!! I can't help but think about @Fit_Goat, he always described his lack of gas with this woe and how happy his wife is too! I understand her too! Hugs!