Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just a question @Dragonwolf ... Do we have to re-ask to be added if we are already a member of this main group? I'm afraid I'll never find it as I don't check in all that often (hellowwww '1 day streak' for the 500th time, lol).

Technically, yes, but I can also send invites out, which I will do after I get back. I'll go through this thread and invite as many as I can.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    please send me an invite. have been reading but not posting a lot.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf , I feel like this means that we've "graduated" or something. This change may expose us to more women from the main forums who may be searching for low carb, and we would be a safe place for them to settle. And that would be good. The more the merrier, and if we can help provide additional support, then all the better. I imagine that newcomers would be required to apply to be part of this group ?

(It was truly unfortunate that despite the screening process, and all of our good intentions to help provide helpful information, a new member with more hostile views penetrated an LCD group discussion yesterday. I am glad that that particular discussion was prevented from continuing down the same path.) I suppose we can never be certain that we will be protected from this sort of thing, but I have faith in the Ladies of our group to be able to be respectful to all. We are here to learn and to support each other after all. :)

Yet it feels kind of odd to consider being located away from the rest of LCD. I have considered this group, as part of the same LCD family, it's just that every now and then the ladies will slip off to another little room down the hall, to share the news. It has been a place of comfort for me and for many here, and I hope it will continue.

Thanks, Janice
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    @Dragonwolf , I feel like this means that we've "graduated" or something. This change may expose us to more women from the main forums who may be searching for low carb, and we would be a safe place for them to settle. And that would be good. The more the merrier, and if we can help provide additional support, then all the better. I imagine that newcomers would be required to apply to be part of this group ?

(It was truly unfortunate that despite the screening process, and all of our good intentions to help provide helpful information, a new member with more hostile views penetrated an LCD group discussion yesterday. I am glad that that particular discussion was prevented from continuing down the same path.) I suppose we can never be certain that we will be protected from this sort of thing, but I have faith in the Ladies of our group to be able to be respectful to all. We are here to learn and to support each other after all. :)

Yet it feels kind of odd to consider being located away from the rest of LCD. I have considered this group, as part of the same LCD family, it's just that every now and then the ladies will slip off to another little room down the hall, to share the news. It has been a place of comfort for me and for many here, and I hope it will continue.

Thanks, Janice

The idea is that the child groups are those separate "rooms." They're all linked back and forth via the stickies and members are encouraged to join the main one. This allows larger specialized groups to neither get lost nor flood the main group. We've got one already for Fitbits and such and it's working fairly well, and there's a recipe one that's been spawned that seems to be gaining momentum, too.

As for the application process, there's not really much of one for the main group, which is why drama happens once in a while. Unless the note is obvious, we let anyone in. However, if you guys want something more strict, go for it. I'll be a mod/owner of the group, but mostly for ownership consistency. I'll leave to day to day running up to you.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Gotcha! That will close this one, right?
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I tried to join. It just keeps telling me I have to join to view, with no place to join now. I am admittedly technically illiterate, so I have probably done something wrong, lol.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Will this thread be accessible? I sometimes refer back to catch up on news or remember ladies names etc.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I came upon this today been here before but just couldn't find it. today my browsing took me here. So many of you are doing marvelous.

2012 Newbie
    Thanks for all the great info. I'm only on my fifth day of starting over again. I need to get serious about all this diabetic stuff. I need to get my act together. Hopefully they aren't to angry with my low carbing. I'm going to a wellness clinic on Wed. See what that's all about.
    I know my doctor won't be happy I haven't got all I gained at christmas off. Oh well. I'm trying again and that's all I can do.

So see you lighter.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    batlott wrote: »
    please send me an invite. have been reading but not posting a lot.

Ditto ... don't remember if I've posted at all ... but love the thread
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get sad I can't join your thread :( maybe someday
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    You'll get there.... we have some ladies here who are under 50 but experience some of the same issues. and I'll tell you a secret.....it surprises me to be this age. I still fee like I'm your age. We just have a bit more experience under our belts. I feel like this is my time to really live and be myself. It gets easier to do this as I get older.
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Exactly Janice! I have no idea how my daughter can be 21 when I'm sure I'm still only 35! I just wish my body thought so too, lol.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Yep! I'm 48, but have more issues than most 60 year olds, lol!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number and if you don't care what age you are. No else should neither. I'm 67 and feel better than when i was 40 I believe I had undiagnosed diabetise way back then. Now i'm working at fixing that. I know one thing for certain I don't feel as sluggish. I'm sure no break has a lot to do with it.

See you all lighter.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    AHHH, I tried to join but haven't been accepted yet.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm still waiting too! Not sure what's next! :smiley:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    I tried to join. It just keeps telling me I have to join to view, with no place to join now. I am admittedly technically illiterate, so I have probably done something wrong, lol.

That's because you need to be accepted into the group. :) I'm the only one able to do that at the moment, and I was out of town and intentionally didn't have access to a computer, so it took a little bit. I'm going through and will be sending invites to those who haven't gone and joined yet.
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Will this thread be accessible? I sometimes refer back to catch up on news or remember ladies names etc.

Yep. I might close it and refer newcomers to the new group, but we won't delete it. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Okay ladies! I went back to page 50, which dates to late November to invite people, as well as the first page or two to grab the original posters. That should seed it pretty well with active members and maybe even wake up a few that haven't been as active lately.

If you aren't part of the new group yet, you can go to http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112128-low-carber-daily-ladies-over-50 and click join. It's a private group, so you'll have to wait for approval, but that process should be fairly quick now that I'm back (and should speed up once we get another mod or two).
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you @Dragonwolf!!
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Thanks @Dragonwolf .