low carb + fitness (cardio and lifting) anyone? ??

Options
mielepiel
mielepiel Posts: 20 Member
Hey y'all :smiley:

I was wondering if any of you combine the low carb lifestyle with regular fitness, like weight lifting and cardio. And how it is working out for you?

I just restarted the low carb diet last month and men... I kinda forgot how good I feel when I restrict the carbs... so much more energy.. no cravings (usually I crave sugar 24/7)... a clear and focused mind. Awesome. My main goal however is to lose tons of weight (like 60lbs in total) and I would be much more happier if I can accomplish this and while also firming my body. Hence the fitness. But since our metabolism works a bit differently now than on a normal diet, I was wondering which works best (more cardio, loads of lifting and a bit of cardio.. or??)

So what are your experiences? :smiley:

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's definitely doable. I am currently doing 30 Day Shred along with my treadmill and elliptical. I workout an average of 5-6 days a week. Start slowly. It can take some time to get keto-adapted enough to where working out isn't a struggle.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    strawmama wrote: »
    It's definitely doable. I am currently doing 30 Day Shred along with my treadmill and elliptical. I workout an average of 5-6 days a week. Start slowly. It can take some time to get keto-adapted enough to where working out isn't a struggle.

Yep, what she said. Take it easy until keto adapted, but after that, have at it, because your energy will be through the roof!

I personally think a mix of cardio and weight bearing exercises is best (can be bodyweight), but must admit, I prefer games/sports, which tend to be more cardio based (racquetball, spin class, mountain biking, roller blading, skiing, swimming, etc.)
    I have recently found yoga to be very good for strength! I thought it would mostly be balance and stretching, but it does require a lot of strength, esp. upper body which is where I am/was weaker.

• bonz1481
    bonz1481 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I struggled a bit in the beginning -- especially when playing competitive volleyball for 3 or so hours. My nutrutionist recommended adding BCAAs on those days (while playing) and keeping a small container of chocolate coconut manna for a quick/easy/not heavy snack....I think the BCAAs helped the most....and my body getting the hang of ketosis....I was really queasy until then...and could tell you the moment when my body ran out of glycogen and gasped around trying to figure out what to burn (that was unpleasant). but, again, much better now :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into walking on the treadmill, and will be re-starting my Gilad (strength)videos possibly tonight. I've been strictly LC/HF for nearly 3 weeks now. I did "carbs in moderation" before and rarely had any energy or motivation. Now I'm chomping at the bit to exercise, even when I'm tired. I've read varying reports on low carb and seriously heavy lifting, but I don't think that will really be an issue with me. If it is, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. :)
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do strength training (lifting weights) 3x/week, plus water aerobics 2-3x/week (which is techinically a combination of strength and cardio) and am starting a barre class on Monday (woo!) I find it easier to stick to my low carb lifestyle when also maintaining some sort of fitness/exercise program. I want to start Les Mills Combat but not sure how to fit in around water aerobics and strength training, and don't want to overtrain...

I'm also working on "tons" of weight (like 100 lbs total... 7 down so far, in about 2 weeks, woo!). Just make sure you're getting enough protein (which, let's face it, you pretty much HAVE TO if you're doing LC!)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I also work out about 5 times a week and for the first two-three weeks of LC ...well...I thought I was gonna die! (Ok, being dramatic, but it wasn't fun). Now, my workouts are not very intense by some standards due to other health issues, but I try to push myself pretty hard on both cardio and strength training. Now that I am a little more adapted, I look forward to working out. Even had to be told NOT to go to the gym today because I am dealing with a sinus infection and an infected tooth. I was going to go anyway but now will just use the treadmill at home. LCHF.. Yep!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm not keto-adapted yet, but I have no trouble maintaining 3-4 days of weight/strength training every week. I'm not sure I could handle the elliptical right now, but then, I never really could handle it! ;)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I really like Jonathan Bailor's take on exercise (The Calorie Myth). He focuses on sustainable (I.e., low impact, low injury risk) resistance training, and he includes both body-weight and gym-based approaches.

He also gives tips on how to alter your cardio workout if you insist on doing cardio. For example, I now crank the eliptical machine up to max resistance (ugh!).
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Ripped in 30 again. I've done it before, but not while on a LC. I've done RI30, 6 week 6 pack and 30 day shred before with great results. I also want to start running again, not long distances, but I completed a 5k last year and would really like to do it a few more this year.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Read or you tube Tim Noakes. He is great, so is Stephen Phinney, regarding keto adaption before beginning exercise and much more. I plan to get to my goal weight first, then add exercise
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great while LC! If you're in ketosis, and your body is using fat as fuel, this would lead me to believe that you will not run out of fuel for your work out until you've run out of body fat. Ok maybe this is an exaggeration, but I have found that my workouts can last longer and be more intense than when I ate carbs... after I adapted that is. My opinion is that strength training should be first priority in most cases, and then cardio if needed.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I work with Shaun T, Beto and Jillian! All three are my favorite work outs.

Way before keto i dropped a lot of weight just doing those work outs, 5 days a week for a few month.... I then became lazy and stopped it all together.

I'm back on the program dancing my fat away :)
  • Japkoo
    Japkoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 times a week. Cardio and weights no problem.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've recently added more intentional workouts and cardio to my days. I find that I don't get the low blood sugar issues after an intense bought of lifting like I did when I was carb heavy.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I used to practice martial arts and I think that intensive kind of workout didn't help with my low carb lifestyle, but back then I was at 120g/day. I wish I'd gone full Keto, thinking maybe I could have stuck with both the martial arts and the diet.
  • KarenEllerbe
    KarenEllerbe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started working out last week, lifting weights, and I transitioned to lifting heavy weights this week. It's been great since I have so much energy now being adapted. Before I was adapted, my endurance was gone, so I would get winded easily. Due to that I never tried any cardio. I know people that do high intensity cardio on Keto after they're fully adapted and don't have any trouble, but I have not tried it yet. Lifting will make u feel great tho!
  • madeformore96
    Options
    I am addicted to the gym and have been working out for 3 years now. I lost weight and maintained my weight loss goal for 2 years. recently I quit smoking.... yay and after 5 months of smoke free and continue going strong in the gym and eating the usual that I always have I gained 30 pounds. so looking back in my weight loss journal... I decided to go low low carb and today is my first day. I am accustomed to eating high protein and good carbs and fruit. Protein is no problem for me but the fat intake is a life adjustment and not having my fruit or salad'ssss. I am planing on going 20 carbs or less for 5 days and then eventually bring back my vegetables.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Any time after the first 2 weeks you should be okay to start working out. But if you aren't used to working out, don't overdo it. Just gradually build up your frequency and intensity of exercise. I'm Keto-adapted. I run 3 times a week and lift twice weekly. I eat about 30g net carbs. Plenty of energy to get the workout done with flying colors.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I decided to go low low carb and today is my first day. I am accustomed to eating high protein and good carbs and fruit. Protein is no problem for me but the fat intake is a life adjustment and not having my fruit or salad'ssss. I am planing on going 20 carbs or less for 5 days and then eventually bring back my vegetables.

Welcome madeformore I hope you really love being a part of this group!

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just an update that my workouts are getting better and of longer duration the further adapted I get. I kind of get bouncy now about an hour or so before I go to the gym......maybe my brain wants to replace the sugar rush with the work out rush LOL