one month of eating tdee and weight gain

Options
I had an eating disorder for three ish years where things were bad, eating a net 900kcal a day and binging/purging. Doing cardio to the extreme. 180lbs-150

This last year I started eating more (1200-1500kcal) average and gained 30 pounds with 45min cardio 4 times a week and daily piltes. 150lbs-180

For the last month I've been eating my tdee of 2300 and slightly above when I still feel hungry, I've gained 8 pounds! 180lbs-188 I cut my cardio out and am only focusing on Pilates a few times a week to keep stress on the body low. I've casually kept my macros p30/c40/f30 but not over stressing about it because I'm trying to get away from disordered thinking. Plus with this added good I feel so much more tired and lazy (college stress could be factor)

I'm not worried about losing weight, I'm just afraid of this upward trend continuing and getting health problems from obesity. How much longer can I expect to gain? I don't have access to a gym right now to lift heavy.

I am 21yo female 5'10"

I have a fitbit so I think my tdee is pretty accurate, I adjust calorie consumption per day according to my activity level.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You let Fitbit sync and MFP adjust the eating level?

You have MFP set to maintain as weight loss goal?

Fitbit calculates all non-moving time as BMR level calorie burn.

BMR based on gender, age, weight, height - and an assumed average ratio of muscle to fat mass.

Based on where you were eating and exercising at - you have got to be well under that ratio of muscle - meaning the BMR being used in inflated.

And since the weight gain had no exercise that would build muscle back in any kind of decent quantity, you still have it inflated.

In other words, the Fitbit daily burn is inflated, merely for all the non-moving time.

Now, the moving time is based on pace and weight. So distance is important from steps seen.
    That could be way off too.
    You ever confirmed distance seen is correct?

But just the numbers, eating at 1500 and say not gaining there at the end, and then suddenly eating 2300 - that means for some period of time you have had almost 800 calorie surplus, hopefully slowly getting lower, as you've been eating that high.

So a good 1 lb weekly of fat gain, more the first couple weeks. Some likely water weight too.

So if the TDEE is indeed inflated as I'd imagine it is - you will continue to gain fat.

That exercise isn't enough to tell body to build more muscle really, just to use what it's got.