Options
slgraha
slgraha Posts: 27 Member
I've been recently diagnosed with BED. I've thought for some time that I was but was really unsure and wasn't really comfortable talking with anyone about what I was doing to myself. It's really embarrassing to admit to a doctor let alone myself that I would hide going back to get seconds, thirds, fourths, fifths, etc. of whatever sweet we had in the house or the fact I stopped and bought a "king" size candy bar on the way home. I hate the feeling like I can't stop. I don't want anymore but I can't stop eating and I don't know why I can't stop. So when my doctor began asking lots of hard questions about why I can lose weight but can't keep it off, he noticed a pattern and with my honest answers came my diagnosis. Now as embarrassed as I was, I felt relieved. I wasn't crazy. I wasn't loosing my mind. I didn't need to locked up, like I thought. Finally, a reason for feeling like I can't control myself. He prescribed me Topamax (25mg twice a day). I have been taking it for 3 weeks now and so far so good. I have been eating better. I feel like I'm in control more and I can stop when I'm satisfied. I will follow up with my doctor on the 06th to check on my progress and to see how the Topamax is doing. I've read so much on this drug and it's horrible side effects, but so far I've done really well with it. I hope it continues that way.

As horrible as this is, it is almost liberating to finally be able to come clean and talk to others, especially my husband and children.

Replies

• Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. There are some really good books on the subject in a thread that might help. I would be interested if you continue to take Topamax and its continued effectiveness. Please continue to post progress. Thanks.
  • slgraha
    slgraha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will definitely post an update. I had no idea so many people were affected by BED until I was diagnosed and began doing research.