Repost? Why women shouldn't do alot of cardio

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If the calorie deficit is the problem then cardio is related to that. However you get to that dangerous deficit has to be addressed. Whether you do LESS cardio (artlcle doesn't really say stop regardless of the title) or you have that person eat MORE.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    we evolved to run the equivalent of marathons. long distance running does not damage the human body, unless you fail to feed your body properly, and if you fail to feed your body properly, then the problem is undereating, and that's a problem whether you are sedentary or whatever kind of exercise you do.

the vast majority of women who are running excessively to try to lose weight are also not eating properly. I think you have to eliminate those people from these studies, and look only at women who run a lot and eat properly, and I think you'll find an entirely different picture is painted.

here's my blog post on this subject: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/running-is-bad-for-you-because-what/

It's not just about running. It's about stready state cardio. Some people run and eat too much and don't lose weight from the calorie in/out. Some eat not enough.

Personally, it would be alot easier to do less cardio to get your calorie count up to specifications vs eating more and wasting time in the gym. Unless you ENJOY running. But as you said, in this case, you state that people are running to lose weight, not for enjoyment.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    we evolved to run the equivalent of marathons. long distance running does not damage the human body, unless you fail to feed your body properly, and if you fail to feed your body properly, then the problem is undereating, and that's a problem whether you are sedentary or whatever kind of exercise you do.

the vast majority of women who are running excessively to try to lose weight are also not eating properly. I think you have to eliminate those people from these studies, and look only at women who run a lot and eat properly, and I think you'll find an entirely different picture is painted.

here's my blog post on this subject: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/running-is-bad-for-you-because-what/

It's not just about running. It's about stready state cardio. Some people run and eat too much and don't lose weight from the calorie in/out. Some eat not enough.

Personally, it would be alot easier to do less cardio to get your calorie count up to specifications vs eating more and wasting time in the gym. Unless you ENJOY running. But as you said, in this case, you state that people are running to lose weight, not for enjoyment.

I personally do very little cardio mostly because I don't enjoy it all that much. But I don't see why anyone who enjoys running (or any other cardio) should be advised not to. as for people who want to lose weight, running may or may not help, depending on the person, but in any case they need to be eating enough calories to support the exercise they're doing. Most women who run are undereating by huge amounts, e.g. eating only 1200 cals/day while doing 2+ hrs cardio a day (not eating back exercise calories). So yeah I pretty much agree with you. I'm just sick of all the stuff circulating around the internet saying cardio is bad.

btw from an evolutionary point of view, any steady state cardio the same argument would apply as for running, i.e. we evolved for steady state cardio. and we also evolved to be capable of becoming very strong and lifting and carrying a lot of weight. These arguments about the supremacy of one over the other are doing my head in. For ultimate fitness, you probably should do both. To stay healthy for life, do whatever you'll stick with. That's my take on it.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I didnt say that. i didn't advise less cardio if you enjoy it. I made that distinction in the reply you quoted. Also the article specifically mentions losing weight. Not being healthy. Being healthy is actually another subject.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    But there are women (a lot of them) who are running because they think running, in and of itself, burns fat. And the second you try to tell them that they could burn fat a lot more efficiently by eating at a deficit and getting really strong by lifting heavy weights, they get defensive, and they don't want to hear it. I used to be the same way.

Sometimes repetition is key. I was in this situation with someone today. One day the light bulb will go off.

Or results. Your progress has been incredible

Some people also ask questions to which they are unprepared to accept the answers. I remember one thread from a woman asking how to get a body like Jamie Eason. The response from 1ConcreteGirl (with photos to show her results) was "lift heavy, this is what my results were."

Response? "Oh I don't want to lift heavy and get all bulky." Facepalm.....
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I am one of those who dislike cardio and cardio dislikes me - and after years of not budging any weight despite cardio (though admittedly I was never a serious runner), I have now shifted to NROF4W - but when I am told that on recovery days I should not do any intense cardio, I must say I feel guilty, like there are a thousand little shocked voices in my head, whispering "what, no cardio"? Is it indeed okay to do only lifting and no cardio at all? or some amount of cardio on the non lifting days is actually advisable, if it is kept at a low-key level?

I don't see how going for a walk would be anything but beneficial.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Tagging...coz studies...

Ok....I laughed.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Bottom line is that the author of the orginal blog post did not read (or understand) the references he cited.

That's Keifer's MO. Make a claim, then post a bunch of studies that don't actually support it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Another article that tears this argument apart: http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/

I wish MFP would knock off this anti-cardio nonsense. I don't even do any cardio, and I'm tired of it.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    He's not anti cardio. Just anti excessive cardio. There's also the diet aspect of it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Another article that tears this argument apart: http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/

I wish MFP would knock off this anti-cardio nonsense. I don't even do any cardio, and I'm tired of it.

Good read. My 2c - for weight loss LISS should be used sparingly but incorporated when appropriate, however, if someone enjoys it, there are ways to incorporate it.

Summary of the article:

"Steady-state cardio has been shown numerous times to have many health benefits leading to decreased mortality risks. Sure, “too much” (so far quantified only as “long term and excessive” amounts typically used by competitive, extreme distance athletes) is not good for you and can be detrimental to general health and fitness goals. But for all the Jessicas out there, moderate amounts can easily be included in a well-rounded routine to complement fat loss goals or general health pursuits.
    That said, steady-state cardio is not a requirement. If someone doesn’t want to do it or doesn’t like it, there are other alternatives that can be used. What this all boils down to is this: If you enjoy running and feel it benefits you and your training, and aligns with your goals… then keep on running."
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Good read. My 2c - for weight loss LISS should be used sparingly but incorporated when appropriate, however, if someone enjoys it, there are ways to incorporate it.

Summary of the article:

"Steady-state cardio has been shown numerous times to have many health benefits leading to decreased mortality risks. Sure, “too much” (so far quantified only as “long term and excessive” amounts typically used by competitive, extreme distance athletes) is not good for you and can be detrimental to general health and fitness goals. But for all the Jessicas out there, moderate amounts can easily be included in a well-rounded routine to complement fat loss goals or general health pursuits.
    That said, steady-state cardio is not a requirement. If someone doesn’t want to do it or doesn’t like it, there are other alternatives that can be used. What this all boils down to is this: If you enjoy running and feel it benefits you and your training, and aligns with your goals… then keep on running."

I wonder if that's just a combined effect of weight loss in general? I fully realize the benefits of cardiovascular fitness. Everyone does. But there have been studies that weight loss in itself is beneficial. Even if it wasn't done in a particularly healthy way.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished reading, but here is a counterpoint to Kiefer's article:

http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    why did we feel the need to repost this?

ETA: I would very much like for OP to read the above linked article and reply with his thoughts on why after all the cat gifs from yesterday we needed another post.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished reading, but here is a counterpoint to Kiefer's article:

http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/11/women-and-running/

That was a really good read!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

ETA: I would very much like for OP to read the above linked article and reply with his thoughts on why after all the cat gifs from yesterday we needed another post.

I have posted my thoughts.

for the records, this thread in this group was posted before the one in the main forums.
  • ryry_
    Options

for the records, this thread in this group was posted before the one in the main forums.

No comments regarding the article that supposedly was proving a point actually had little factual basis to back it up.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

No comments regarding the article that supposedly was proving a point actually had little factual basis to back it up.

What type of reply are you seeking from me? Is it that important that you?
  • ryry_
    Options

I think I'll sleep tonight either way. Just don't start linking posts from marks daily apple next time in three different threads.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I think I'll sleep tonight either way. Just don't start linking posts from marks daily apple next time in three different threads.

Sleep is important. You can ask about the importance of sleep in his forums

What three threads? I posted this twice.