Lean gains and 5:2 Combo

Options
Im thinking of doing a combination of 5:2 and leangains for my non fasting days (leangains is an IF method where you skip breakfast, and eat a big delicious lunch and dinner) to help me stay under cals on non fasting days. Evening is where my problem is on non fasting days but I need to break my fast earlier in the day. Has anybody tried this?

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yes. I skip brekkie and start eat between 2-7, depending on schedule. We already had a convo about this some time ago. You can see here, if you want :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030223/mice-and-16-hour-fasts/p1
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You can combine them. I tried for a while, but I like eating breakfast. ..Ok I like lunch and dinner too...so I do 16:8 on fast days and some times when I need some extra cals in the evening, but not regularly.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8 and 6:1. 16:8 was my way into fasting, and transitioned to Leangains from there, albeit loosely (I follow most of the principles, I'm just not too fussy about the exact numbers each day). After that I decided to throw in a 24 hour fast one day a week (7/8pm Sat to 7/8pm Sunday), by way of an experiment into more prolonged fasting really.

6:1 & Leangains works well I find, especially given the single 24 hour fast is away from my resistance training sessions during the week. Also it seems to work well with a 3 day a week workout programme I find, as each training day is followed by a non-training day where you can focus on keeping the calories lower if you're using LG to cut. Also by doing a 24 hour fast on Sunday, I find it helps balance out any excesses on Saturday and balance the weekend out to 2 cutting days without having to make any social sacrifices on the Saturday, as well as to fit in one day of higher calories to keep both you and your hormones sane :smile:

I think 5:2 could fit in quite well then if you were doing a 4-day workout split, letting you workout on Mon & Tues and eat higher calories to maximise any growth, fast day on Wednesday to cut with, then the same again working out on Thurs & Fri, rest & perhaps higher calorie on Saturday, and a fast again on Sunday. Also the fasts would be spread out so as not to affect workout performance too much potentially, and all in all, get all your cutting done on the 2 fasting days, letting you live, workout and make training progress on the other 5.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I've been giving thought to a lot of the above, as I tend to need something to dabble/ play with, and 5 weeks in with LG, that's no longer providing any amusement, lol :smile:

Oh, I should add, as hunger goes, I found 2 meals a day and no snacking while adhering to the 16:8 above, made things very easy in that regard. And I used to be a grazer! :smile:
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've tried it but I am just so hungry after a fast, that I normally don't make it until lunch time. LOL