Emergency meal: Keto Cheeseburger at McD's

I discovered a great option for LCHF, if you MUST eat a Fast Food meal away from home.

McDonald's have a "Daily Double" item…2 burgers, a cheese slice, mayo, lettuce, tomato slice, onions. Just REMOVE the buns…and eat.

Brought mine home, and wrapped burger in Romaine leaves, added my own sliced avocado, and slice of cheese…$1.99 and super low carb!

I now plan ahead and keep bacon cooked, in fridge, for easy addition to other meals too.

All other FF items have ketchup, sauces, or no tomato, and charge to add lettuce, etc.. this is best option I found.

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Burger King is easier - their website lets you get nutritional info by individual ingredients. You check or uncheck each thing you want to include, including bun and condiments, and it gives you the breakdown for whatever combination you use. If I'm stuck somewhere and ff is the only choice, I try to find a BK first.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    At McDonald's I order a triple cheeseburger, no bun or ketchup. It cost $2. Their bunless burgers come on a bed of lettuce. BK's website is great, but I have found that in the actual restaurants the workers are less knowledgeable in how to make the changes I want, so they will have to ask the manager how to make something bunless, or they won't put the mayo on because that goes on the bun. Your BK might be better, but I haven't had that great of luck with special orders.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    17JayR wrote: »
    At McDonald's I order a triple cheeseburger, no bun or ketchup. It cost $2. Their bunless burgers come on a bed of lettuce. BK's website is great, but I have found that in the actual restaurants the workers are less knowledgeable in how to make the changes I want, so they will have to ask the manager how to make something bunless, or they won't put the mayo on because that goes on the bun. Your BK might be better, but I haven't had that great of luck with special orders.

Reminds me of Jersey Mike's. They do a breadless sub ("sub in a tub"), and it's about 50/50 whether the person behind the counter will get confused when I ask for mayo. The usual protocol is just to toss in a couple of dollops, but occasionally, they'll spread it on the tomatoes, or they'll be all confused and like "wait...there isn't bread...what do I do with it?"
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    17JayR wrote: »

Reminds me of Jersey Mike's. They do a breadless sub ("sub in a tub"), and it's about 50/50 whether the person behind the counter will get confused when I ask for mayo. The usual protocol is just to toss in a couple of dollops, but occasionally, they'll spread it on the tomatoes, or they'll be all confused and like "wait...there isn't bread...what do I do with it?"

Seriously? I guess common since has gone the way of the dodo bird. Geez: facepalm

What do they do with mayo for chicken salad?

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    I discovered a great option for LCHF, if you MUST eat a Fast Food meal away from home.

McDonald's have a "Daily Double" item…2 burgers, a cheese slice, mayo, lettuce, tomato slice, onions. Just REMOVE the buns…and eat.

Brought mine home, and wrapped burger in Romaine leaves, added my own sliced avocado, and slice of cheese…$1.99 and super low carb!

I now plan ahead and keep bacon cooked, in fridge, for easy addition to other meals too.

All other FF items have ketchup, sauces, or no tomato, and charge to add lettuce, etc.. this is best option I found.

We often use this as a fast meal when we absolutely have to. Its cheap and easy to pull the buns off especially since I have a nightshade allergy and cant eat ketchup or mustard. So we ask for the Mc Double, substitute onions (they use the good slivered onions instead of the dehydrated ones) extra pickles, no ketchup or mustard, add mayo. Great low carb and low budget option.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Yea!!! so glad others know this!! I so rarely ate there that finding this ideal Keto $1.99 2 burger deal was great.

I was having them make 2 plain $1.00 single cheeseburger with no Ketchup/sauce, PLUS PAY for added lettuce, mayo and tomato.. Then throw away 2 whole buns..a waste..the Daily Double is NOT even on the Menu here, a sharp McD cashier clued me in, bless her.

Didn't know about Burger King..we are a remote little town , we have BK, Taco B that;s it. KFC was run out of town, (true) so good to have options when traveling too.
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    If you go to Carl's junior they offer all burgers " low carb" for no extra cost , they also sell a " natural " burger patty that is 100% grass fed beef . Their patty's are bigger and is usually way more satisfying ! For around $3.99.
  • Alliwan
    mebeep wrote: »
    If you go to Carl's junior they offer all burgers " low carb" for no extra cost , they also sell a " natural " burger patty that is 100% grass fed beef . Their patty's are bigger and is usually way more satisfying ! For around $3.99.

No Carl's Jr here :neutral_face: Very sad, loved that place when i lived in California
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Is Carl's Jr. the same as Hardees? We don't have a Carl's Jr but we do have Hardees. I may have to check it out!
  • Alliwan
    jacquejl wrote: »
    Is Carl's Jr. the same as Hardees? We don't have a Carl's Jr but we do have Hardees. I may have to check it out!

Yes same owner but slightly different menu. We dont have a hardees near us either but Ive been there and it is very similar.

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2015
    I was avoiding fast food like the plague (that it is) because I was nervous I wouldn't find anything that tasted good. Now that I'm fat adapted, I enjoy the taste of meat so much more than I used to. I have had Wendy's Bacon Bleu on Brioche a couple of times. I know this is probably insane but I refuse to say "no bun" or clue food service people in on the low carb thing because of some ridiculous fear that they will do something to my food. I know, I know. It's not at all likely but for some reason in my mind I worry that there's these diet ruiners out there just looking to slow me down. Control issue perhaps. Anyway, I just don't eat the bun.
  • Jackattacks28
    Jackattacks28 Posts: 9 Member
    This is a big one for me, whenever I want "takeout" etc, I usually get chicken wings, or a bunch of bacon mc doubles from mcdonalds and just remove the buns when I get home!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Hardees has a low carb burger that is WONDERFUL. Any of the burgers on their menu can be changed into low carb. And to make things even better, the workers always know exactly what you are talking about and how to fix it. =0)

But I have noticed that I seem to gain weight the day after eating one of the fast food burgers. DOes anyone else have this problem?
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Five Guys has a lettuce wrap burger option just incase people didn’t know.