JAW PAIN???

Options
salgalbp
salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
Hi All!

So I am doing well and continuing to reap many benefits from quitting smoking on April 21st. I've learned a lot about myself in the last few weeks and have found that Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking has been an incredible tool.

HOWEVER.......even though it's not enough to make me want to smoke my Jaw is KILLING ME!!!

Have any of you experienced this? It didn't start right away actually...only a little over 2 weeks ago. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Sal

Replies

• strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I dont think thats smoking related! Get to the dentist or doctor, might be a nasty abcess.
  • mistymarie98
    mistymarie98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you been chewing a lot of gum in the place of smoking? That could be the cause of it. Just like our bodies are in pain when we begin a workout routine it's unfamiliar with, extra movement of the jaw will naturally cause some pain. Just a thought.

Beyond that, I agree with strawberry. Put a call into your doctor or dentist to get it checked out.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I clench my teeth ALOT and that could be the problem. see you dentist and ask....
  • Bdenmark8
    Bdenmark8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually suffer from TMJ and this may be your issue.
    You may as a result of quitting be grinding your teeth at night or chewing gum or other candies to keep from smoking may be affecting your jaw. Definitely go to your dentist if you notice any unpleasant mouth odors or an abscess on your gums. Otherwise take a trip to your local massage therapist and ask if anyone does Jaw massage or specializes in TMJ. I go monthly now and the relief is tremendous. No costly medicines or painkillers just a really goofy face rub. Hope that helps!
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's gotten a lot better. With the patch, even when taking it off at night the dreams have been CRAZY so I think I've been clenching at night. I went to my lovely chiropractor and he did accupuncture on the sides of my head for the jaw muscles as well as massaged the muscles and adjusted my jaw and it's been getting much better.

Life as a non-smoker is MUCH BETTER :)!
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also experienced pain about a month after quitting, but as misty said mine was from chewing too much gum.

I am very glad to hear that you're sticking with it, salgalbp. :)