post op modifications and PF blues

Options
andylllI
andylllI Posts: 379 Member
Hi Sara and Patrick and group, I'm looking for some advice in the following areas:

1) I'm having minor/ day surgery on my PF next month to fix some issues related to childbirth. The post op instructions say 4 weeks off from jarring activities like running and cycling and weight training. During those four weeks they suggested yoga, pilates, walking and upper body exercises with "no more than 10 lbs." Before I go and bust out 10x10 bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc. with the pink dumbells...my question is specifically what would be a rational thing for me to do during this time period? My goals would be to maintain my current weight, minimize any loss of lean body mass, and heal properly so that I can get back to life and the gym. I want to take the long view here and not be short-sighted.

I'm thinking I will eat at maintenance because I don't want a caloric deficit to interfere with healing and do lots of incline walking at 65% MHR because one of my long term goals is to raise my aerobic threshold.

I'm not sure what to do about my weight training.

2) There is a ton of information out there about how weight training is "bad" for women with pelvic floor issues including stress incontinence and prolapse. But then there is conflicting information about how squats will cure everything. Do power and oly-lifters have pelvic floor problems? Is there reliable information you could point me to or any advice you could give me about how to activate the PF properly during compound movements like squats and deadlifts? Will doing these movements make things worse in the long run? I really love the changes heavy weights are making to my body and I don't want to give it up...but I also want a functional PF.

If this topic makes anyone squeamish I just want to say, it shouldn't. These issues are extremely common but not often discussed because of some kind of misplaced stigma. I hope this will be helpful to some of the other women on the board too.

Some background:
5'7", 140 lbs, BF (3 site caliper) 20%.
Diet: currently 100-200 calorie deficit daily
Cardio: 45-60 min LISS (HR zone 2-3) 2-5 sessions a week
Weight training: 2-3 full body sessions a week based on SC. Progressive training for about 9 mo but only 2 mo on this program. Definitely still in noob phase. Not that strong: Squat: 115# for 6-8, Bench 80# for 8, DL 135# (not my max but the PF is limiting here, especially in a public gym!), pull ups 4 strict (had to put that in there because I'm super proud of myself).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about lifting to have any helpful advice, but as someone else with post-childbearing PF limitations, I'm very happy to see you asking
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Actually I do have a suggestion - Do you have access to any physical therapists who specialize in PF rehab? I tried it, and got modest improvement (would likely have had more if I'd been more diligent with the follow-up program). The program was more than just just Kegels (though it did involve them for specific patterns and durations) but also exercises to strengthen other parts of the pelvic girdle. I would think it would be very helpful for you post-op. The therapist could also help monitor when you were healed enough for heavier work.

You mention taking the long view. While frustrating to reduce your lifting for a few months and the accompanying fear of losing what you have gained, I hope you can find the patience to heal and the confidence that what you have gained so far in terms of strength will come back.

• andylllI
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes. I've been to PF physio in the past and it was somewhat helpful - just really time consuming and expensive. I may have to go back post op but I couldn't do that prior to the four weeks as PF physio is invasive.

I certainly need some tricks for activating and being more conscious of the PF during lifts. Does anyone have helpful advice?

Does anyone know anything about the long term effect of long on PF health? I'm thinking of limiting progressive overload. Ie I probably don't need to work up to a 200-300lb deadlift to achieve the physique and function I want for recreational activities but I'm not sure if it matters or not. And I'm a few years fom getting there I'm sure so I'm jumping the gun!
  • andylllI
    Options
    bump. Still hoping for advice and information.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I learned the other day that 80% of elite female athletes have incontinence issues due to the abs and back being much stronger than the pelvic floor. (It was in class so I have no source other than a PT that has extra training in pelvic floor issues, and is quite passionate about it.) So I don't know that it's bad for the PF per se, but not strengthening them all in tandem might cause you more issues. I realize this doesn't answer any of your questions really, but a bit more information never hurts.