What did you do after completing C25K?

Options
tomii13
tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
Besides celebrating the milestone.

Just wondering what most of you did after completing the program. Did you keep running? Train for the 10k? half marathon?

I'm currently on week 6 of c25k. But my first 5K isn't until the first week of October, so I'm wondering how to remain active so I don't lose my "mojo" from week 9 to the actual run.

Should I just continue running 5K or go further? Suggestions welcomed :)

Also, I'm starting a strength training program that's 3x a week, so I was thinking of running twice a week (5ks each day cardio day) from the time of finish the program to the actual 5K day. That way I can incorporate the lifting 3 x a week and not be so overwhelmed.

Hope that makes sense.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I keep running, slowly building my mileage a little bit each week. I suggest you do the same - as you run longer and longer you will make that future 5K easier and faster. If you keep running around 5K you will not see much improvement, like doing strength training with the same weight week after week.

Add a 3rd running day to your proposed schedule if you can handle it and make that day a long run at an easy pace. It's OK to keep running 5K's a couple times a week but make them faster and maybe incorporate some hills or intervals into those shorter runs. Build your mileage in the long run.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi

Well I'm still catching up with myself ...completed c25k May 10th, having started back in March from absolute scratch. I'm still aiming for strong consistent completion of actual 5k as I found my distance fell short in the 35 mins I was runnin! My aim is to build stamina and do a really strong 5k, I've got my first ever 5k race in 3 weeks! I'm very excited!

I did have high hopes of doing substantial alternative exercise on my 'rest' days but find at the moment I'm too tired to do much, the 1day on 1day off routine is still challenging so I've decided to sharpen up my 5k jogs and feel great about them before moving on. Im trying to make sure i hit the 5k goal each run, regardless of speed. When I feel fit enough (?) I will consider bridge to 10k , it sounds great... but I'm not ready yet!

Good luck with your program, you sound really positive, you go girl!! :wink:
  • tomii13
    Options
    I keep running, slowly building my mileage a little bit each week. I suggest you do the same - as you run longer and longer you will make that future 5K easier and faster. If you keep running around 5K you will not see much improvement, like doing strength training with the same weight week after week.

Add a 3rd running day to your proposed schedule if you can handle it and make that day a long run at an easy pace. It's OK to keep running 5K's a couple times a week but make them faster and maybe incorporate some hills or intervals into those shorter runs. Build your mileage in the long run.

Great insight. I think I will focus on building my mileage and working on a better pace.

Curious - how did you build your mileage? Did you build your mileage as you went? or is there an app for that?

I find that if I have something to challenge me or direct me in a way, I have a better outcome.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I ran for 30 minutes four days a week for a month before starting on a SmartCoach (Runner's World) 5k training plan. It built my weekly base (the number of miles I run) up to 10 a week (three sessions) and then added in speed work. I just finished a 10k in about 71 minutes.

I really like it as a go-to plan, but will try the Train Like a Mother 1/2 marathon plan later this year.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great insight. I think I will focus on building my mileage and working on a better pace.

Curious - how did you build your mileage? Did you build your mileage as you went? or is there an app for that?

I find that if I have something to challenge me or direct me in a way, I have a better outcome.

This is true of almost all runners - and there are a million plans out there. A rule of thumb is to get in about half your mileage in a long run and then split the other half between two (or three) shorter runs. Add no more than 10% additional miles a week and have no more than 10% of your miles be speed work.

So, let's say you are running 9 miles a week. You'd run a 4 mile long run, a three mile easy run and a two mile easy run. Then, the next week, you'd add a mile to your shorter easy run.
  • tomii13
    Options
    Hi

Well I'm still catching up with myself ...completed c25k May 10th, having started back in March from absolute scratch. I'm still aiming for strong consistent completion of actual 5k as I found my distance fell short in the 35 mins I was runnin! My aim is to build stamina and do a really strong 5k, I've got my first ever 5k race in 3 weeks! I'm very excited!

I did have high hopes of doing substantial alternative exercise on my 'rest' days but find at the moment I'm too tired to do much, the 1day on 1day off routine is still challenging so I've decided to sharpen up my 5k jogs and feel great about them before moving on. Im trying to make sure i hit the 5k goal each run, regardless of speed. When I feel fit enough (?) I will consider bridge to 10k , it sounds great... but I'm not ready yet!

Good luck with your program, you sound really positive, you go girl!! :wink:

Yep. I think you guys have the right idea. Your feedback also coincides with that of timeasterday.
    I’ll make it a plan to build my stamina/mileage for my run. And you’re absolutely right, AFTER I feel good and confident about my 5K, then considering the 10K bridge sounds just right. Never thought of that, yet seems pretty obvious. Lol.
    Good luck on you 5K. Can’t wait to hear how it went! :)
  • tomii13
    Options
    This is true of almost all runners - and there are a million plans out there. A rule of thumb is to get in about half your mileage in a long run and then split the other half between two (or three) shorter runs. Add no more than 10% additional miles a week and have no more than 10% of your miles be speed work.

So, let's say you are running 9 miles a week. You'd run a 4 mile long run, a three mile easy run and a two mile easy run. Then, the next week, you'd add a mile to your shorter easy run.

ooo. Juicy info. You know it's great information when I have to google a definition of "long run" lol Sorry, I'm a newbie to the running world (but easily getting addicting to it)

Anyway, just to clarify, on the example you set - That would be three different days, correct? Running 3 x a week: making one day a long run and two days a short run.

The following week, when I add a mile to my shorter easy run, the others remain the same?

*bows head in shame* Apologies if these questions sound obvious!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I looked at a lot of 10K training plans and modified one a little to work with my schedule. During the week I run a 4-mile tempo (faster pace) run and a 4-mile hill run or interval run (I alternate each week between hills and intervals). On Saturday I do a 3-4 mile run at a slow pace. On Sunday I do my long run at a medium pace and that is where I add mileage. Last week I did 7.5 miles and this week I will try 8 or 8.5 depending on how I feel. Each week I will push that run a little longer.

I think the key is to have a plan beyond C25K and sign up for 2-3 races spread out over a few months. And have an "ultimate goal." My ultimate goal is a full marathon next year so I am going from a 10K training plan to a half marathon plan to a full marathon plan. I have 10K, 9-mile, 15K, 10-mile, and half-marathon races already booked through the next few months. I'll shoot for a full marathon next March. After that I'll have to re-evaluate my goals and figure out what I want to do. Maybe stick with halfs, maybe go ultra, I don't know yet.

Hope that helps!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    ooo. Juicy info. You know it's great information when I have to google a definition of "long run" lol Sorry, I'm a newbie to the running world (but easily getting addicting to it)

Anyway, just to clarify, on the example you set - That would be three different days, correct? Running 3 x a week: making one day a long run and two days a short run.

The following week, when I add a mile to my shorter easy run, the others remain the same?

*bows head in shame* Apologies if these questions sound obvious!

Sadly, I explain things for a living...also, I'm not that much more experienced than you: I graduated less than three months ago. So, it was two months ago that I was trying to figure out what a "tempo run" and an "interval" was. Runner's World is an awesome resource, and it's easy to catch on once you get the hang of it.

Yes, three different days

Week 1 (9 miles)
    Tuesday - 2 miles (easy/conversational pace)
    Thursday - 3 miles (easy/conversational pace)
    Saturday - 4 miles (long run)

Week 2 (+1 mile/10%)
    Tuesday - 3 miles (easy/conversational pace)
    Thursday - 3 miles (easy/conversational pace)
    Saturday - 4 miles (long run)

Also, now, since you have a nice base, you'd consider starting intervals or hills on Tuesday. Since you only want to do speed work on 10% of your mileage, the three miles would consist of an easy mile warm up, speed work for one mile, an easy mile cool down.

(Note: this is simply my perception of the way many of the plans I've looked at are constructed. However, the C210k programs seem to be based on a Galloway model, which includes walking intervals.)

Personally, I also walk a quarter mile to warm up/cool down.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I looked at a lot of 10K training plans and modified one a little to work with my schedule.

Also, some of the best advice I got is to be unafraid to modify as needed.

You don't want to do your speed work and long runs back to back, but sometimes I'll need to run consecutive days (so I usually pick an easy run and then speed work). I usually do the long runs on Tuesdays, but some weeks it works out better on Sundays. As long as I get them in over a week, I'm on "plan"
  • tomii13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

I've really been looking into my schedule and it seems like I'll be only able to run 2 days a week after my c25k app.

Any suggestions for running 2 days a week, since most of these are geared towards 3x?

Maybe one long run and 5k?

I'd appreciate it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm not a coach, but I'd alternate weeks: do one easy run and one long run, then one easy run and one session of speed work. However, this is a training schedule and nobody says you have to train.

Getting out there and running for 30 minutes, two days a week is fine. Some days you can push yourself, other days slack off. As you get stronger, you will go faster and farther, which means that you'll experience an automatic progression.

One thing that I've remembered(?) realized(?) in the last couple of days is that running is natural. It's something that people are designed to do. This gives us a lot of flexibility in developing a running lifestyle.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Now that you have completed C25K, keep going. You found time to do the 3 days a week before. You stopped at nothing to get those 3 days in. I am curious as to what is going to stop you now. You finished C25K, but don't stop focusing on goals. Goals will help push you and keep you going. Shift to B210K, or sign up for another 5K that is maybe a few weeks out.

Your runs don't have to always be 3 miles. If all you can get in that day is a quick 1 mile jog, then get it in. If you find you have time to pump out 3 miles, then do 3 miles. The only person who will hold you back is yourself. But, to keep the running endurance you really should focus on at least 3 days a week.
  • tomii13
    Options
    Well, during the c25k program, my focus is running, so I have the time for 3 times a week. After completing it, I want to focus on strength training, but continue running and progressing, however the strength training program I'm looking into is working out 4 days a week. So I'd like to run 2 days. Doubling up on one, so I'd be working out 5 days a week.