How long have you used the Total Gym?

Options
Miyak0
Miyak0 Posts: 13 Member
Just got mine in January. I use it in the mornings mostly.

Replies

• Madquilter65
    Madquilter65 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just got mine! I use it on Tuesday and Thursday when I don't go to the gym
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bought ours last month at K Mart, so probably a more stripped down model, I put it together, tried a few moves on it and then had to put it away because it was in my living room and we had grandchildren coming over. I found it heavy and awkward to move so today I'm planning to set it up in my family room where I hope I can leave it for awhile. Hoping to really use it for the first time later today. I wish it had an instructional video you could exercise with. I'm not much of a self-starter.
  • Miyak0
    Miyak0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The moves on the basic dvd are 20 reps of each move.
    Wing Bar at top (2nd or 3rd hole)
    Pull ups wide overhand grip on wing bar
    Hamstring curls on your back (feet in wing bar) pull body up towards feet
    chin ups- hands narrow on wing bar-under hand grip
    pull ups with narrow over hand grip

Remove wing bar add Cable
    Cross cable pull back-knees at end of bench, legs dangling
    Triceps-chest down on bench, pull arms back

Here I tend to move my bench level from 2 to 1
    Chest arm pull over- lay back on bench, arms over head-pull arms down to sides
    Chest "push ups"- sit on bench at the top edge with feet on it too-hands in cable handles and push forward
    Oblique pull-sit on the bench side ways and hold the cables together with both hands
    pull arms cable and hands across body - pulling body and bench up towards the top of the TG.
    Then sit on edge of bench and do biceps curls
    Then do other side of your obliques by facing the other way off the bench.

After this there is a leg sequence with the D ring, abdominals with the wing bar at the bottom of bench, and cool down stretch with wing bar at top.
    Just remember when you use the wing bar you detach the cable
    When you use the D ring you put that where the cable would be (detach cable)
    When you use the cable the wing bar should be detached.

They sell the DVDs on the Total Gym site too.

I would like the pilates DVD and set.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I love the pilates dvd (Simon and Martine Scott version). It feels like getting a massage, mild strength training, and long, slow stretching, all at once. It's magical.
    I've had my TG for 4 or 5 years. I love it for many things, but it really lacks for squats and deadlifts once some strength is gained, so I bought an olympic bar and weight set for those, Stronglifts 5x5 style. Of course, now that I've backslid and lost all of my gainz, it's back to TG for everything for several weeks. The only moves I can find to mimic deadlifts (if the card numbers are the same in the newer decks) are:
    73 Toe Touch Row
    75 Core Extension
    78 Surfer
  • dennisnguyen
    dennisnguyen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My Total Gym is easily over 20 years old. I was a child when I first used it and it was my only piece of equipment for a long time. Although there are some exercises that are too easy for me even on the highest setting, I'm still using it. I use it for exercises that I cannot do with free weights safely. I've gotten great results with the Total Gym during my fat loss years. Since my new goal is to pack on muscle mass, the my 20 year old Total Gym is not ideal. Newer Total Gym models that do allow you to add weights can help me accomplish my goals, but I haven't bought one yet.
  • TrekkGuy
    TrekkGuy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was glad to hear your "great results... during my fat loss years". Just got back from a cruise .. ugh. But now will be walking my daughter down the aisle in 7 months, so I am starting up again.
    Anyway, check Craigslist in your area, I picked up a model 1700 for $50 in a more rural area. You should be able to get a newer model with attachments at a savings.
  • Allyoopadoop
    Allyoopadoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had mine (XLS?) for several years but haven't ever really committed to it. I want to...I just don't know what to do. I have the videos, I need to work it into my life.
  • EdwardMH2
    EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have not got one yet, trying to decide between the XLS or FIT my intention is weight loss and just had a Total Hip Replacement on left side and my leg muscles are weak so hoping it will help with that as well. I worry about motivation as I live alone.
  • tsrolloffs
    tsrolloffs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lifted weights off and on most of my life. I always had nagging injuries, have used the total gym for 14 months now. I love, love it. You control the resistance as well as the range of motion. I still do cardio but the total gym is my main stay. I have made great progress in the last year, including losing over 40 lbs.
  • EdwardMH2
    EdwardMH2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got my Total Gym a USED FIT and I like it but need more motivation to use it as much as I should.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I got a Total Gym Fit back in January and absolutely love it. I have gone down two pant sizes since then and it's a workout that I look forward to doing.
  • mama2goats
    mama2goats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for a little over 3 weeks and I love it so far. I'm hoping to tone up all of my jiggling.