What's Working (Or Not Working) For You?

Options
13»

Replies

• admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    mhulgan wrote: »
    Thanks :blush: I guess I'm around a lot of people who think "natural remedies" are the way to go, so I felt a little guilty when taking the medication made such a drastic improvement. Crazy, I know!

I'm a fan of natural remedies, myself, but I still don't think Met is "cheating." Most medications are derived (or were originally derived) from natural ones. Aspirin, for example, comes from a natural compound found (salicylic acid) in many plants, including willow bark, meadowsweet, and a number of fruits and vegetables. Likewise, "natural" doesn't always equate to "safe" (or even "safer" than its refined counterpart).

The active compound in Metformin can also be naturally derived from French Lilac (aka goat's rue), where it was originally derived (and the plant itself has been used since at least the Middle Ages).

That said, there are other options available for PCOS remedies. Inositol is a common one, which works similar to Metformin (though uses different pathways). Vitex is also a common one for more general hormone regulation (though it does have more side effects and risks than Inositol, so be sure to research it, especially if you're looking to get pregnant).

Can you take those supplements while taking Metformin?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    admegamo wrote: »
    Thanks :blush: I guess I'm around a lot of people who think "natural remedies" are the way to go, so I felt a little guilty when taking the medication made such a drastic improvement. Crazy, I know!

I'm a fan of natural remedies, myself, but I still don't think Met is "cheating." Most medications are derived (or were originally derived) from natural ones. Aspirin, for example, comes from a natural compound found (salicylic acid) in many plants, including willow bark, meadowsweet, and a number of fruits and vegetables. Likewise, "natural" doesn't always equate to "safe" (or even "safer" than its refined counterpart).

The active compound in Metformin can also be naturally derived from French Lilac (aka goat's rue), where it was originally derived (and the plant itself has been used since at least the Middle Ages).

That said, there are other options available for PCOS remedies. Inositol is a common one, which works similar to Metformin (though uses different pathways). Vitex is also a common one for more general hormone regulation (though it does have more side effects and risks than Inositol, so be sure to research it, especially if you're looking to get pregnant).

Inositol and Vitex are both safe to take with Metformin. They work on hormone balancing. Metformin affects insulin processing and such.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    admegamo wrote: »

I can't speak to Vitex, since I don't take it (though its different mechanism of action suggests it should be fine), but Inositol is safe. In fact, a lot of women find that taking both provides a sort of synergistic effect, since they both accomplish similar ends (reduced insulin), but through different means.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    So, I managed to find something that actually works for losing weight for me! I know, strange, right? :P

Ironically, Metformin is again proving to be ineffective at best, and counterproductive at worst for me.

Just after Easter, I gave a "zero carb" way of eating a try, pretty much out of desperation. Basically, the rule was to eat nothing but animal derived foods. So, I gave it a try -- meat, eggs, and a little dairy (namely cheese, but also some other high-fat stuff, too) was the entirety of my diet.

Lo and behold, I started losing weight within a week! I continued to lose weight for the next three months or so. Additionally, my skin cleared up even more (it had cleared since I went more general low carb) and my cravings pretty much went away. From the beginning, it was like my body breathed a sigh of relief.

Unfortunately, in late summer, some massive upheavals in my life derailed me, and shortly after that, I got in to an endo (finally!) and she put me on Metformin, which has made it a struggle to get back on. The Metformin has given me aversions to most meat in general and basically left me wanting nothing but carbs. As a result, I've gained some of the weight back and the acne and headaches are back, and I can't really get back on the diet that worked, though this is kind of proving what doesn't work for me.

So, I'm doing a trial to verify that it's the Metformin causing the food issues and will very likely be talking to my endo about stopping the Metformin and going with what works.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Apologies for the rant against spironolactone below. I know it works for some people, but I wanted to share my experience with it, in case it helps anyone else. And I just get so irritated when thinking about how long I was on it and how much it set me back...

I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I am on a BCP and a low carb diet, but that's my only form of treatment at the moment. My doctor originally put me on one of the all-estrogen style BCP, along with spironolactone/aldactone. We have been experimenting ever since, trying to find a nice balance, and I feel like we're making some progress.

I completely dropped the spiro (I was taking 200mg per day) due to nasty side effects. I was taking it to suppress facial hair growth and acne. It worked, but was SO NOT WORTH IT. When I started taking it, I weighed in at about 167lbs. While on spiro, I could not exercise at all. I could run for literally only 30 seconds and be bright red, out of breath, and exhausted. And it didn't matter if I tried running every single day, I never gained one ounce of stamina. Couldn't get through a weight training class without taking several breaks either. Even walking through the store, I would run out of breath and have to stop. As it turns out, shortness of breath and muscle weakness are two of the side effects of spiro. By the time I got off of it, my weight had climbed up to 183 lbs (my highest ever, by far). Stopping it was the best thing I could have possibly done for me.

After getting off of the spiro and making no other changes (other than being able to exercise again), I was able to whittle my way down to about 160 lbs.

Back to that BCP - The all-estrogen pill was great, minus the whole no-interest-in-sex-whatsoever part of it. I'm married, so that doesn't really work for me. Last year, I switched to a BCP that was one step down the scale from that one (I can't remember the name, sorry). That was a slight improvement. This year, I switched again and am now taking Desogen/Enskyce (desogestrel & ethinyl estradiol, I believe). I had been on this pill once many years ago and felt good on it at the time. Definitely another step in the right direction, but I'll give it a few more months before deciding if I want to make another change or stick with this one.

The LCHF diet was a fairly recent change--I started it in July. I've seen huge changes in myself since I went the low carb route. So much more energy, so much better athletic performance, better mood. Just all around better...

So, overall, I'm fairly happy at the moment. My weight is down to 151 (only 6 lbs above "normal"), acne is mostly under control, facial hair is somewhat better (I have also had laser hair removal on my face--not a permanent solution when you have PCOS, but still helpful), and periods are regular as long as I take my BCP. I have no plans for pregnancy, so I'm ok with that for now...

I hadn't heard of Inositol until I started reading this thread today. I will have to check into it and will consider giving it a shot.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What is finally working for me:
    1) Yasmin birth control. I was hesitant to take it but I have lost about 10 lbs since I started taking it. I also have noticed a little less hair growth (i'm still hairy though!)

2) Hot yoga. Something about sweating that much really helps me relax and I get a decent workout (depending on the class/instructor) I think that women with PCOS have a higher stress level so it's really important to find a de-stressor. Although I love the gym, it just doesn't relax me as much as hot yoga, nor does regular yoga relax me as much.

3) Cutting calories. I'm lightly active, and I ONLY see results if I eat 1200 calories. I guess it's my PCOS metabolism, but I really have to eat less than other people.

4) Vitamins. I bought some high quality vitamins. I take Dr. Fuhrman vitamins for women (I'm vegan) as well as iodine and omega-3's DHA/EPA. If I stop taking my vitamins, I really feel a decline in my energy and mood.

5) Lots of vegetables! As many as possible!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    What is finally working for me:
    1) Yasmin birth control. I was hesitant to take it but I have lost about 10 lbs since I started taking it. I also have noticed a little less hair growth (i'm still hairy though!)

2) Hot yoga. Something about sweating that much really helps me relax and I get a decent workout (depending on the class/instructor) I think that women with PCOS have a higher stress level so it's really important to find a de-stressor. Although I love the gym, it just doesn't relax me as much as hot yoga, nor does regular yoga relax me as much.

3) Cutting calories. I'm lightly active, and I ONLY see results if I eat 1200 calories. I guess it's my PCOS metabolism, but I really have to eat less than other people.

4) Vitamins. I bought some high quality vitamins. I take Dr. Fuhrman vitamins for women (I'm vegan) as well as iodine and omega-3's DHA/EPA. If I stop taking my vitamins, I really feel a decline in my energy and mood.

5) Lots of vegetables! As many as possible!

How much soy are you consuming? If you're consuming a lot of soy, it might be part of the reason you're having issues. Soy contains a ton of estrogen that our bodies actually use, but since it's not the right estrogen, it can really throw us off. It might be a good idea to rotate in more sources of protein that are lower in phytoestrogens.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For context, I assume I'm insulin resistant even though my PCP said my insulin (and A1C and fasting glucose) were normal. I did have pre-diabetes several years ago but lost 10% of my body weight and reversed it. Since about 2009, I haven't been able to lose weight unless I do something low-carb, and for maintenance 100-120gm carbs/day seems about my limit.

Anyhow, I lost 20 lbs from Aug 2014 to Aug 2015 and was struggling to lose instead of keep gaining. I'd done the Dukan Diet before (to reverse the prediabetes) but after more research and dwindling success with Dukan this time around, I tried a more moderate LCHF, lost a few lbs but then started gaining again, nd then switched to keto. I've been doing keto since 11/2 and have lost 12.6 lbs so far; 5 lbs to get back to goal weight! My macros are 65% F, 25% P, 10% C. I used to think I couldn't go below 80-100 gm carbs but it hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected.

I ordered some Inositol on Amazon after reading about it on here but haven't started taking it yet. Need to catch up on more threads and get a better understanding of what dose to start with, how to take it, etc.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Dragon wolf--I consume almost no soy.
  • whatnadineloves
    whatnadineloves Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I tried every single diet out there over the last 11 years and the only way I lose weight is very low carb, less than 30g a day. The best success I had with Paleo, I lost 22lbs very easily in 12 weeks and was eating more than before. I am now giving Paleo another go.

Also, when I went on Paleo for a while everything improved. My skin, my depression vanished, my period came every 28 days on time while before I would only have a period every 3-4 months when I was lucky.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    **I just noticed in my last post I said "lost 20 lbs" when I meant "gained 20 lbs." Hah, quite the difference. Sorry for any confusion!
    And an update is that as of this morning, the 20 lbs now have indeed been lost!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    **I just noticed in my last post I said "lost 20 lbs" when I meant "gained 20 lbs." Hah, quite the difference. Sorry for any confusion!
    And an update is that as of this morning, the 20 lbs now have indeed been lost!

LOL! Definitely colors the convo differently. Congrats on the progress, regardless!
  • arubamfp
    arubamfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What's working for me? Inositol is really helping.

I haven't lost much weight (I have about 20 lbs to lose to be my ideal weight, and my weight fluctuates about 7 lbs based on water retention, time of month, etc), but I've had a decrease in bloating and my hair is noticeably thicker. A friend who doesn't know I'm taking the supplement actually commented about how much thicker my hair seems. She has no idea that I even had an issue with thin hair.

My period is much lighter than usual and cramping is not nearly as severe! (It's usually extremely heavy and painful). It has taken a couple of months to see results with this supplement.

My next move is eat gluten-free for a month and see what changes I notice. I started two days ago and I feel better already. My midsection is less bloated and my overall mood has improved- of course it's too soon to tell if this is because of eliminating gluten, but if this trend continues, I'll stick with a GF eating plan permanently.

Anyone else seen symptoms reduced with either of these things?
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thanks, @KnitOrMiss !

@arubamfp I've tried gluten free a few times and didn't really notice anything. Now that I'm doing keto, I'm wondering if it's more than I'm sensitive to other things I was still eating (oats?) rather than that I'm *not* sensitive to gluten. Going grain-free has been good for me.

I still need to start taking my Inositol! It's just sitting in a cupboard.