Darn kids in the pool. Swim team kids :)

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
Swim team practice is done for the season. But one of the swim team kids was there this morning. And DAMN SHE WAS FAST!
If I could swim as fast as she did I'd finish my 120 laps swim at least 45 minutes sooner :)
I'm way to old to ever get that fast. But it is amazing to watch these kids glide through the water like they have mini twin turbo screws on each foot.

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    There is a Water Aerobics class just before evening Lane swims ay my local pool. There is one lady in there that we nicknamed Jetboat. The whole class would grap kick boards and do a complete circle around the pool just kicking. This gal would do 2 - 3 complete circles and left an impressive kick wake behind her. Nothing wrong with her technique/endurance or strength.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Swim team practice is done for the season. But one of the swim team kids was there this morning. And DAMN SHE WAS FAST!
    If I could swim as fast as she did I'd finish my 120 laps swim at least 45 minutes sooner :)
    I'm way to old to ever get that fast. But it is amazing to watch these kids glide through the water like they have mini twin turbo screws on each foot.

Gutzy there is probably someone watching you swim, and thinking exactly the same thing about your swimming! :smile:

• fishgutzy
    Options
    Gutzy there is probably someone watching you swim, and thinking exactly the same thing about your swimming! :smile:
    True. One guy told me he wished he could swim as smoothly as I do. :)
    Of course part of my motivation for getting more efficient and faster is so I can swim farther in the time I have in the morning before work. Or I could hit the weight room after swimming 6000yd.
    Eat to lose weight. Exercise to eat more. Ha!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options

I was thinking the exact same thing..........

• AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    People in my pool are always asking the lifeguard how many laps I swim and generally in shock at the distance and speed.
    Which is why this group is so important for me, since I don't swim with a Masters team. That way, I don't get complacent and keep motivated to strive for more.
    All the activity on this group ensures my mindset remains sharp, morning after morning, even when the temptation is to just settle for what I'm doing!
    Always new goals being set, for technique, times, etc!

What is interesting though, is I think a number of the gym crowd are now incorporating swims into their regimen. When I first started 5:30 am swims in the dark, I would be alone. Now, for example today, at 5:30 a.m. there must have been 6 to 8 people in the water swimming. The lifeguard is shocked at the early activity these days.

So glad I've encouraged some at our health club to consider swimming!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    AQ - I'm with you, joining this group has been the single biggest factor in avoiding bailing out on those days I wake up & just don't feel like going. There are plenty of days (especially lately) that I have legitimate reasons for not making it, but the thought of the people here pushing themselves gets me moving on those days where I just don't want to....

The lifeguards at my pool get questions about how much I swim, too & it still surprises me - I just figure people are there to do their own thing & couldn't care less about what I was doing. One day when I was walking out of the gym after my workout a woman on the way in says to me, "I know who you are, you're the guy who keeps pounding out laps." Definitely made me laugh.....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Mac, AQ, I was happy when people stopped saying "do you mean lengths?" when I asked how many laps I do :)
    Today is an evening swim. Usually do 5AM. And the pool isn't what I would consider full (at least two per lane) but the activity does seem to be picking up.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

I was watching a little girl (maybe 10 years old?) swimming with three other people in a lane this morning. Poor thing had to time her entry back in at each length because no matter what, she caught up to the gal in front of her. I'm not sure why the gal didn't just let her pass. At least that way, the girl could get an entire lap in without stopping. She was a gorgeous swimmer too--a little fish. She was there when I arrived for my class, and I left before she did even though I swam laps for 20 minutes after class ended. She must go home and eat everything in sight...
  • AquaticQuests
    Options

I was watching a little girl (maybe 10 years old?) swimming with three other people in a lane this morning. Poor thing had to time her entry back in at each length because no matter what, she caught up to the gal in front of her. I'm not sure why the gal didn't just let her pass. At least that way, the girl could get an entire lap in without stopping. She was a gorgeous swimmer too--a little fish. She was there when I arrived for my class, and I left before she did even though I swam laps for 20 minutes after class ended. She must go home and eat everything in sight...

This young fella swims 5-6k in the morning and 7,500-9,000 yards in the afternoon.
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/train-taylor-abbott-and-tate-jackson/

I mean that is insane! Nuts!
  • fishgutzy
    edited March 2015
    Options

This young fella swims 5-6k in the morning and 7,500-9,000 yards in the afternoon.
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/train-taylor-abbott-and-tate-jackson/

I mean that is insane! Nuts!
    That is dedication.
    I manage to pull off 6000 yards a day on weekdays. But no where near fast enough to get those distances in.
    I'd be able to do 12,000 every morning if I could swim that fast :)