Anxiety / panic attacks

Options
Has any of you experienced panic attacks since your diagnosis? I experienced a bout of panic attacks when my DD was born, but they were written of as a "side effect" of pregnancy. Soon after I was diagnosed with Hashi. Now I feel like it may be starting again. Can Hashi make you more susceptible to problems like that or is it just plain old stress?

Replies

• tamaradwyer
    tamaradwyer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a huge amount of anxiety BEFORE I was diagnosed. Woke up terrified many nights. I didn't link the thyroid and anxiety until I settled into some sort of normal a year after I started medication.

First off, hugs and comfort to you, sheesh anxiety is just sheer horrible. Second, I encourage you to make an appt for blood work as a first step when working with the medical community. Based on what I've seen, better to be treating something measurable before doctors try to dismiss your anxiety or apply the wrong medications.

**Disclaimers: I know nothing overall, and I don't have a Hashimoto's diagnosis - just had hugely elevated TSH at 40+ and unchecked weight loss before I was put on Synthroid. Four years stable TSH levels and 15 pounds overweight on 88mcg**
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I have an appointment on Friday, I hope that my GP is going to show some understanding and will be willing to help. Maybe my Vit. D levels are very low again? I hope it is something that can be treated without meds, some therapy would be very welcome by me.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, some symptoms of hyperthyroid are similar to issues with panic attacks -- like the racing heart beat, elevated body temp, restlessness, insomnia, etc. -- and can be a sign of overmedication or simply swinging hyper on Hashi's.

I'm not saying that they're the same, but they do have certain overlapping symptoms that are very similar so you could simply be swinging hyper or be overmedicated at this point (because things do shift with Hashi's). I know I vary and my doc has me adjust based on such symptoms (for me, that usually means more meds in the winter and less in the summer as I'm not swinging wildly anymore -- thank god).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, some symptoms of hyperthyroid are similar to issues with panic attacks -- like the racing heart beat, elevated body temp, restlessness, insomnia, etc. -- and can be a sign of overmedication or simply swinging hyper on Hashi's.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I developed severe anxiety when I was hyperthyroid. It continued after I became hypothyroid, and gradually decreased once I was finally diagnosed & treated. In the meantime, I saw a therapist & took benzos.

Now exercise is enough—plus yoga, meditation, and self-care. But the meds were a lifesaver.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you mention it @lindsey1979‌ - my dosage was increased back in January I think ( to 125 mcg ) and then about two weeks ago I was retested and the doctor told me to take 125 and 120 on alternative days as my TSH was too low. Maybe my body is adjusting to this change?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased Lindsey's thoughts have been helpful. I think the winter often makes symptoms worse, the reduced light levels lowering our ability to make vit D. I agree we all adapt to our medication differently. If you are still having these symptoms perhaps two days on 120 followed by one on 125 might, with the doctors blessing, be a less common regime.

Hope you get relief soon. Hug in the interim.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I also think sometimes it is just the body reacting to the meds. I know when I originally went up to 146.25 mg of Nature-throid, it was too much for me. I went back down to 130. Then in the winter I ended up going up again to 162.5 and have come back down to 146.25 -- which now seems like a stable place for me. But, initially, it definitely felt like too much. I think this sort of back and forth readjustment just happens with Hashi's.

It's gotten to the point for me that my doc just prescribes a big 130 pill and then a bunch of little 16.25 pills and tells me to adjust based on how I feel. Right now, 146.25 seems to be good, but if I have to back down or bump up on occasion, I'm fine with doing that. Luckily, the swings for me are just a 16.25 either way now.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I hopped back on and read this post! I have been toying with the idea of going to a doctor and asking for some sort of medication for anxiety and I did make an appointment with a therapist. But, deep breathing and reducing caffeine has really helped me. Simple, yet effective.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of listening to youtube relaxation tracks. In fact every night when I go to bed. Some of them really calm me. I think I have anxiety over just about everything. not sure it is the thyroid but I do remember just before I was diagnosed I did have some unexplained anxiety waking screaming and crying for hours. This was BEFORE menopause. That just made it worse. Long past that now.